Where do you begin to demo the interior?

Started by Redberryfarm, August 19, 2018, 07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redberryfarm

I have been searching the boards for a 101 guide for where to start the demo process - with no luck in what I am looking for.  :(   (If there is a topic on this - please direct me to it.)

I have the instructions on "how to prepare a motorhome which hasn't been run for a long time".  (Fabulous- Thank you.)
But for the interior, where does one begin? ... like 101 begin instructions.
(Everything seems to be built right over the carpet, so it makes sense to start up at the ceiling... yes?  no?)

Our 1970 Winnebago is ancient... walls are peeling... ceiling plastic wrinkled and peeling... vinyl is cracked... drapery is rotted on the little hangers... the carpet is that awful sculpted kind that we had as a kid...so it all has to go.  D:oH!

Any help, ideas, or links would be appreciated!   :)

khantroll

That's a big question. You can find many interior demos on this forum, but the short answer is that it depends. My roof was bad, so I did the roof rafter mod/repair. My walls have some rot, so I've actually taken all of cabinets out and I am replacing the interior wood one piece at a time. In my rig, there doesn't seem toe any wood on the skin side, just foam, and then  1/8th luan on the interior side with a vinyl paneling over it. Some of the rot was light, and I could have just stripped the vinyl, but in order for it to be right everything has be stripped.

I'd star by removing the cabinets (assuming the roof is solid). From there you can see what would be next.

LJ-TJ

Is your rig usable now? If so I wouldn't trash the hole thing right off. I'd take one project at a time so I could use it every few weekends. That way you don't become disillusioned and after a few years abandoned it in the back yard or a storage place. Plus it gives you a chance to meet and talk with more folks with a little more experience than you and you can explain what you want to do and they maybe willing to explain some of the tricks of the trade.  i??

Redberryfarm

I just was out there cleaning it a bit - and the keys don't fit into the ignition.  (They go to all sorts of other things...)
Great.  I guess I am at minus square one. :(
I have the prior owner stopping by to give what help he can after Labor Day...
Meanwhile I will just dream of remodeling it ~  ;) 

Rickf1985

Redberryfarm

We might have to do that.  (sorry- this is getting off the topic of interior demo)
I called the Winnebago company, and they "don't have records that far back"  ( Hm? ... and why not? I wanted to ask... you people built the thing!)
I then called one of the local locksmiths, and he said that in these old rv models the door key is the same as the ignition key.  I can get some powdered graphite at the hardware store and see if that loosens up the ignition lock. (The lock guy was more help than the manufacturer was!  Sheesh...)  He also said to try W-D40... or a combo of the two.

So... indeed... the key I have fits in the door!!! :)clap :) :)ThmbUp  What a relief. ( ...and WHY is there only ONE door to these models???!!! Good thing for the huge driver's area windows that slide open... just in case.  Safer up in the front end, ya know? Hm? 
Ok... so off to the hardware store I go for this powdered graphite.
(In case anyone was wondering, no, I am not "blonde".   :angel:
Yes, I am a complete newbie to this whole camping thing...
Hubby is very handy, but at the moment works a ton of hours... so this has been my 'thing' to research and start where I can.  Thanks for your patience ~)

fasteddie313

Cool project you have there!

I'd say post some pictures but youtube videos seem the easiest for me these days.. I would like to see!

The First thing I would do (did) would be to do the roof, do it good..
The roof is the seal on your investment, it holds all the dollars in..
Then any siding or windows that leak..
Stop the damage first for sure..

Rickf1985

If your local locksmith told you to use WD-40 then I question his license! It is well known in locksmithing that WD-40 is a solvent and will dry out a lock causing all kinds of damage eventually. It washes out all of the lubricant that is put in there originally that you will not be able to replace without taking the lock apart. If you think it is rust frozen then try something like Deep Creep. It is a good lubricant along with a fairly good rust buster.

And for those who don't believe me about the WD................... Next time you get your hands all greasy just spry them with WD-40 and wipe them off with a towel, Nice and clean. Great solvent!

TerryH

Used to see a similar problem with commercial doors with butt hinges. Quality ones are factory lubed with lithium grease. Some well meaning but uninformed individual would spray them with WD40. Couple of months later I would get a service call to replace the dried out hinges.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Redberryfarm

I uploaded more photos of this Time Capsule in the album gallery section. (photos want to flip sideways when uploaded...?)

Yes - I think I will try the graphite thing after doing more research online on locks, ignitions and such.... and try a different locksmith for advice.  Sea Foam Deep Creep - OK. Thank you. Worth a try.
The prior owner should be helpful, too... hopefully.  ( His grandpa was the first owner...)
Maybe get up on the roof and see what it looks like with the prior owner... (like I even know what to look for besides the paint color up there  :)rotflmao )  I see no water damage inside, unless that is what is making the plastic walls wrinkle...

I get all excited over the whole re-do of it all, that I get the cart going before the horse.  Like, does it even run?!  Is it more worth just selling for parts, scrap metal, or as-is?
The decorator in me is way ahead of the more mechanical and builder hubby. (Things need planning... searching... saving for... and then the doin' it.)  He is super busy with work and projects around the house.  I say, " So I've been thinking about that RV in the other barn..." ... and I hear him snoring already from a hard day's work.
Gotta love the journey...

Elandan2

I think you are trying to use the wrong key. Old Chrysler ignition keys look like the one on the right side of the picture. It goes into the ignition with the cut side up. The door key is a completely different key on a Class A motorhome like yours.

Related image
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Rickf1985

The one on the left is a GM trunk key, Or a "B" key for Military M1008 series vehicles. It would be stamped with a B on the root of the key.

skloon

And Chrysler keys go in with the notched side up- my dad always said because the pins were on the top of the cylinder where water wouldn't collect

Redberryfarm

Key ring.
First key fits door (and supposedly the ignition... from the WD40's guy advice)
Other keys are too small.
One marked "fuel"... and one broken off.  ???

khantroll

No idea where the one for the door came from. My door key looks different.  I have had a duplicate Dodge key that had a head similar to that one time. It worked, but it didn't fit right and was a royal pain.

I'd say just replace the ignition. It's cheap.

Rickf1985

Can you pull the ignition out so we can see the wires on the back of it? It may be a Dodge ignition or it may be an aftermarket ignition. Either way it will be easy to replace, you just have to get the right one to match the wires. The fuel key could be a fuel door if you have it or a locking gas cap. The door locks are a generic lock and pretty much the same key is available at most camping stores. A lock shop could get you a different keyed lock, they are cheap. If it has a locking gas cap either get a new one or better yet get a regular cap unless you really need a locking cap.

Redberryfarm

Will try to get help to pull the ignition out. ( Handy to have great tips on an older thread here: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,4427.0.html) - but only after the guy who gave it to us comes over around Labor Day.

I got the powdered graphite stuff and will try that first,  since I have it.
I sure am learning a lot - thanks for all of the help!  Much appreciated.

LJ-TJ

Why not just have a lock smith come over? D:oH!

Redberryfarm

I REALLY want to ask the former owner what those keys go to - before calling a locksmith out....or before digging out the ignition.  He is set to drop off his boats next week and is supposedly bringing an "engine guy" friend along with him. Hm?   (I sure hope someone there will know more that I do!...)

Redberryfarm

So here is the rest of the story.... what I learned... and the outcome.

The ignition has a threaded outer ring that lets the whole thing back out under the dash, and has what looks like an outlet "plug" that was easily disconnected. 

The reason we couldn't move it in neutral was a safety feature. Once new batteries were connected - presto - everything began to work.  The rear tires were a bit froze up, but with a few knocks everything began to move.  The engine wasn't started at this point, being it needs quite a bit of cleaning up and such.

Hubby and I decided that we don't have the interest, time, or money to restore or redo this rig, so we sold it on Craigslist to an immensely geeked, 20-something year old fan of old-school vehicles who wants to keep it as much as original as possible.  He knows TONS of things about this rig!  A win-win for both of us. 

New owner got a used replacement ignition with original key, and the key is a large, diamond shaped (like old Chrysler shaped keys) kind - not at all like the side door key.

Thanks for everyone's help here - you are a great bunch of people!