No spark while cranking - bad ignition switch?

Started by toddabney, January 23, 2009, 12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveVA78Chieftain

Great to hear Todd.  Using the test light to visually check and see if the Pickup sensor (in distributor) / ECM circuit is working may or may not work.  Depending on how you hook it up, the test light could affect the circuit in the same way the incorrect coil connection did on the Subaru.  In order to turn the current on and off to the ignition coil, the ECM  acts like a on/off switch in the wiring from the ignition coil to ground.  Plus (+) side voltage comes from the plus (+) side of the coil.  Hooking a test light up to minus (-) side means you are drawing current through the coil, through the lamp to ground.  Primary coil winding open light is not lit.  With key on RUN, engine not running, the ECM should be ON allowing current to flow though the coil to ground.  The test light will be OFF in that situation.  When you place key to START, if the Pickup sensor (in distributor) / ECM circuit is working and ignition coil is OK, then the test light will pulse.  Any part in the circuit that is not working, will give different results.  Just remember, that Pickup sensor (in distributor) / ECM circuit or igition coil could have been defective.
BTW - the correct air gap is .008, not .010.  Book says, a .010 brass feeler gauge should not be able to be inserted in the gap.

Now that you made be go look at the troubleshooting procedure I wrote, I see I have a few errors in the pick-up sensor section (steps 21-30).  Will fix this weekend.

Regarding the Subaru, operation of the ignition coil itself is identical for all engines (Points/ECM/Computer).  When you had the choke hooked to the minus (-) side, you shorted out the control on/off signal from the ECM which resulted in no spark.  The ignition coil never charged up.  The plus (+) side always has voltage applied to it when the key is in RUN or START.

Ballast resistor is the real weak link (heat).  Pick-up sensor rarely is bad. It's just a pickup coil that a very small voltage is induced into by the reluctor.  ECM is fairly reliable but being a electronic device it is susceptible to heat and vibration.  Ignition coil rarely goes bad but does happen.  Spares are one answer.  Many convert to MSD system but except for the multispark ability, it operates the same manner as the stock system.  Still uses a pick-up sensor, still turns the coil on and off using a ECM type device.

Again, congrats on fixing your Winne
Dave
[move][/move]

toddabney

??? well thats what i'll do.now that i did a crash course on morpar ignition systems and kind of know what to look for. this like so much in my life, i just sort of stumble along and it all seems to work out.... so mabey we can get a short trip in before our short summer ends here in the great northwet.....again thanks soooo much,todd

toddabney

Hi Pharaoh,  Well now that I have had some reflecting time.... yes, having all the extra parts and notes on how to test these parts would make things easer.  Again, thank you all for your support.    p.s. Who would have EVER thought "things" would have progressed to this.  I mean,  I am 56 years old.  I remember laughing as kids, thinking we might be "taught" from a computer someday!!  And here we are....