Lights - running, marker, when do they come on?

Started by Cakeman2253, May 30, 2009, 03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cakeman2253

Having some light issues on my 73 Brave. Not sure what they call what (proper terminology) as far as running lights vs. marker lights. I have 5 amber top front and 5 red top rear. 3 on the each side (1 red top rear, 1 amber top front and 1 amber front also blinker). I have light switch in the dash that states, off, park, headlight. Can someone tell me what lights are supposed to come on when in park?

When do your brake lights come on, I don’t mean when you press the brake pedal. Should these be on as running lights at any time?
God grant me calm seas, A helpful wind, A good catch, And a safe return home

ibdilbert01

On my 72, the park position on the switch turned on the 5 top amber lights in the front, the 5 top red lights in the back.   The two top side/rear red lights in the back, and the two top/side amber lights in the front.   Also the running lights (tail and front turn), and the front/fender side amber marker lights.    So pretty much all amber/red lights come on when the switch was on "park".   

I'm assuming this was the normal configuration for a 72, but am not certain, as the PO had done  a lot of re-wiring.   

My headlight switch was giving me fits, I replaced mine with an off/on 40 amp push/pull headlight switch.  As of now all my clearance/running lights come on only when the headlights are on.    I'm not sure if its legal, but I'll pretend to care if I ever get in trouble over it.  :P
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Oz

The rear brake running lights & clearance markers functioned then the same as they do now.  With a pull or turn switch, it's in the 2nd postion, the 3rd being headlights on.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

tiinytina

I'll actually have to check Gone. I think mine are either on or off with the headlights.... there is no marker light/park stop on the knob.  Brake lights should only come on when brake pedal is pressed or emergency brake is on.... if brake lights coming on otherwise there is a short somewhere.

I know with our wiper switch it was giving us such fits I had pat wire in a separate switch just for the fluid. Fluid was coming on with the wipers...

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

DaveVA78Chieftain

Like Mark said, all parking lights, tail lights (in stop/turn/tail assembly) and amber/red marker lights (around top) should be on in either the park (2nd) or headlight (3rd) position.
73 most likely uses a 72 chassis.
The headlight switch controls a relay under the dash via wire L11(18PU).  The relay prevents overloading the Headlight switch.  Power (actual lamp power) side of relay is feed from fuse block via wire F47(16DG). Output of the relay [wire L10A(16BN)] is distributed to the lamps via several connectors.

Dave   
[move][/move]

Cakeman2253

Temporarily I am running 2 toggle switches (50Amp I figure bigger is better). One for the running lights and one for the headlights. Everything is working well. Summer has been very busy (no time to research a new switch) and working under the dash in 90F is no fun. The PO has wires going everywhere under the dash, but I have the lights and running lights separated out. Thanks for the help as always.
God grant me calm seas, A helpful wind, A good catch, And a safe return home