Water fill cap size

Started by westcoast redneck, March 20, 2009, 02:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westcoast redneck

Sent: 3/7/2005

Hi this may sound silly but I've lost the cap for the water tank.Can't find anything around that fits. Nothing at the RV places either..Any ideas.

Elandan2

Sent: 3/7/2005

I have the lid from a bleach bottle on mine.  Fits fairly well and have a gear clamp to hold it tight  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

westcoast redneck

Sent: 3/8/2005

Thanks aladin.I'll try that

denisondc

Sent: 3/9/2005

I had the same problem. I tried every loose bottle cap I came across. Finally found one to fit, never knew what bottle it came from though. Now Ive lost that one too, and will see about bleach bottle caps. Thanks.

Elandan2

Sent: 3/10/2005
Glad I could help guys, but don't forget, that bleach bottle probably had a "metric" cap.  Ha ha.
Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Boise_Chief

Which cap are you trying to find.  Allow me to inject a little stupid here, but either I haven't found it yet or my chieftain has been changed.  I haven't found a water fill for the regular tank.  I had assumed (you know what that does) that it filled off of city water inlet.  Where do you fill the tank on your winnie?
Sean

denisondc

Its possible you only have the one exterior water connection. If your fresh water tank is the metal circular kind, it could be filled from the same fitting that also provided water to the sinks/shower/water heater whenever you were connected to campground water.
My winny has a rectangular polyethylene fresh water tank. It would not be able to handle typical domestic water pressure. Therefore it has a separate filler opening, way too large for any garden hose coupling. I fill that fresh water tank by putting a water hose/garden hose nozzle into its throat, with the water turned on full. When the fresh water tank is full the water just begins to spill back outside, without putting extra pressure on the side of the tank.
When we are hooked up to campground water, there is a threaded hose connection on the outside wall that mates to the end of a garden hose. It provides water to the plumbing fixtures, but there is a one way valve to keep it from back-filling and bursting the freshwater tank.

westcoast redneck

Hi I have 2 water fill places.78 d21 Brave. On the drivers side is the one to hook up if you want to stay attached to the city water permanently.The other side is to fill up the 30 gal tank.Lost the cap & cant find one to fit properly.Tried the bleach bottle thing & it's to small.Thanks Dale

OldEdBrady

Sent: 3/11/2005

They make limiters for things like this.  I bought one at Wal-Mart for 5 or 6 bucks.  You put it on the water supply, and hook the hose to it.  They usually allow about 40-50 psi only.  There are two types.  One is a plastic thing, and there is a metal type that costs a little more.  I've used the plastic one for a while, and had no problems with it.

I had to use it because I go to the Salt Lake City KOA on occasion, and their psi is about 120.

RVmech

sent: 3/12/2005

If you’re talking about the 2" filler cap, plug, that screws into the water fill area with a garden hose connection on the side of it. It has a pressure gage on the top of it.
This is where I put in bleach to clean the tanks.
Mine was damaged, threads were shot and gage busted.
If we are talking about the same thing, I used a 2" PVC pipe plug with some sealer on it. PVC is soft enough to not hurt the threads. Makes a good temporary cap, plug. Maybe I don't know for sure we are talking about the same thing.
Probably have to find a junk yard that has one.
Parker