Only one waste water tank?

Started by MSN Member, March 19, 2009, 01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FHP_AB1

Sent: 12/1/2003

After looking around at older Class C units we've talked ourselves into a 73 Brave instead. The unit is in super shape and looks just about like it did when it left the factory...no after factory changes other than new carpeting and upholstery. No wiring messes or holes drilled all over. Previous owners did a wonderful job of maintenance and keeping it looking good.

Anyway, to my question. We are picking it up this weekend and today I did a walk through with the salesman today and have one question he couldn't answer. The guy who would know is away till the end of the week.

Looking at the plumbing, it appears that there is only one holding tank for black water and nothing for grey. It appears that the drains for the sink and shower run down and connect to the main drain pipe, past the dump value for the black. The cap over the pipe has a male connection for a water hose. Am I right in thinking that the grey is intended to run out to the ground through a hose or to one of those tote tanks to be dumped separately. Seems odd to have only one holding tank but that appears to be what it has.

If anyone who could clarify this, it would be appreciated. After this coming weekend I guess we'll be full-fledged classic owners so I imagine there will be more questions to come. At some point perhaps I can contribute back once I get to know the unit.

Thanks

Lefty

Sent: 12/2/2003

Hi F&B , I can answer this question. I have the exact same setup on my 76 Chieftain. The kitchen sink,bathroom sink,and shower drain into the line and must have the sewer valve open to function. If the valve is shut, the water backs up into the shower stall. The toilet is not on a valve and drops directly into the blackwater tank. You can leave the valve open with a good cap over the hose adapter and the sinks will drain into the blackwater tank. But be careful to shut the valve again before removing the cap to connect a hose or you will get drenched in some awful stuff. I don't know why Winnebago didn't put 2 tanks on. There is plenty of room to under mine at least. Cost measures I guess. Hope this helps you. Lefty
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

DaveVA78Chieftain

Lefty,
Does that arrangement leave liquid in the sewer piping?  Seems like you would almost always have a mess when you have to dump the tank.  Could the plumbing for what would normally be the grey water tank lines be rearranged such that it connected to the piping on the black tank side of the dump valve so you would not have to leave the valve open during use?  You could even add another small gate valve that you would close while dumping to prevent back flow.

Dave
[move][/move]

denisondc

It would help the rest of us if someone could take a picture of the bottom of the rig - where the gray water tank isn't. Not that we would be able to help you with the problem, just that our curiosity would be satisfied. Ill say this; I have both gray and black water tanks, and therefore I have to fix occasional leaks in two tanks, not one. denison

Sea Hag

Sent: 12/2/2003 9:42 AM

Lefty - I also have a 76 chief D23C  I think yours originally came with two tanks , as the owners manual lists two holding tanks as standard  equipment . they are mounted side by side on mine . The dump manifolds don.t seam to be supported very well and eventually break the front of the tanks . some PO may have removed one of yours .  My galley sink dumps into my black water tank . so mine may have been modified as well .-- Sea Hag

Lefty

Since the valve on mine is right at the cap adapter fitting, only a very small amount comes out (about a cup or less) I have got a pan just for catching it in. I think it could be rearranged, but a p-trap would have to be installed on the shower first or it would allow odors to enter the coach. As it is now, it works, albeit a little inconvenient. When these things were built, I guess that most people just dumped grey water on the ground using a hose to direct it away from the campsite. Do that nowadays though and you probably would get tossed out. Lefty

FHP_AB1

I posted a picture up of the plumbing schematic. Found it here somewhere but couldn't remember where so this was courtesy of someone else's post. Anyway, have a look and it should be a little clearer how the things is set up

Jupp318

Guys,

My system sounds very similar but I haven't heard a description of the toilet itself.  My rig has a recirculating toilet which acts as a tank in itself.  You have to fill it with quite a lot of water and Aqua Kem so that the water runs blue when the recirculating pump runs (acting as the flush).  For the two of us one fill will last at least a week before dumping. into the grey water tank.  When discharging I get the cap off with only grey water in the tank, I then dump the toilet and open the main discharge valve.  The aim is to have the grey water take the black out straight away.  I hope this helps.

Your friend from Ol Blighty

Ian...

DaveVA78Chieftain

Ahhh, ingenuity at it's best.  Sounds like all sorts of things have been done along the way.  Wonder what else is out there!  Myself, I know I will eventually install a transfer pump with filter and check valve to move grey water to black.  My grey tank is small and fills up fast.  Only the kitchen sink drains to it.  The black goes on, and on, and on.  LOL  I suspect 3 dumps grey to one dump black at this point. So, will get increased usage of black by transferring grey to black.  Someday that is Smiley

Dave
[move][/move]

FHP_AB1

Sent: 12/3/2003

I imagine we'll get a tote tank but for most of the "basic" campgrounds we go to, a hose off into the bushes for grey will likely do the job just fine. With the tents and tent trailers we've had in the past, wash water got tossed into the bushes anyway so really no different. We used to have a truck camper at one time as well and it had no tanks at all, just a hose connection.

I am going to take a look in the summer to see if I can retro-fit a grey tank in but that'll depend on available room. There is a second fuel tank in the rear so it may not be doable.

Thanks for the comments.

Lefty

Sent: 12/4/2003

Sea Hag, After 30 years of different owners, anything is possible. I can't tell if it has been modified or not, it looks original but they may have just done a very good professional job so who knows.Lefty

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 5/5/2005

I have a question for you folks:  Someone told me that some campgrounds require that you have separate holding tanks for black water and grey water.  My old rig has only the single tank that holds both.  Is there any truth to this?  I've read the threads here, and it seems that some of you have dual tanks, and some single setups like mine.  Have any of you folks with single tanks run into any issues at campgrounds?  It was the previous owner that told me this, so it may just be that the campground he went to wouldn't allow him in because of the crack in tank, rather than because the old rig doesn't have duals.

Thanks for any input!

Kev and Patti Smith
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Never heard of that myself.  Besides, 99% of the RV's with 2 tanks have the piping connected to only 1 discharge pipe.  No reason to require 2 tanks if both discharge out the same pipe.  The grey tank typically fills a lot quicker than the black due to kitchen sink use.  If the shower runs to grey, it's even quicker.  I can go 2 weeks on grey with one person.  1 wek with 2 people.  I can go a month on black.  My grey tank should have been the big one not my black tank.

Dave
[move][/move]

OldEdBrady

I agree with DaveVA, etc.

Since they both dump the same way, how in the world would anyone know which one you were dumping unless they help the dump hose to watch what comes out?  (I think I just gave myself a terrible ental picture!)

Elksnoutmtman

Sent: 5/7/2005

HI

With a lot of campgrounds under my belt, I have never heard of a need for seperate tanks. Sounds like the "crack" was the problem, not the tanks.  I wouldn't worry about it.

I looked under my Winnie, ( 21") and I can't find any room for a gray water tank.  The way mine is set up, you need a portable tank to drain the gray water if your not on a sewer hook-up. The plumbing from the gray water dosn't drain into the black water tank..
Some of the "RUFF" camping areas allow you to dump the gray water on the ground. I don't like this method so I carry the spare sewer tank (10 gal.)and dump it in the Out Houses. Ask before you do this in case the person in charge has a "better" plan.

Regards..... Elk

salplmb

Sent: 5/8/2005

hi guys,
my rig has two tanks that are totally separate. 1 for gray and 1 for black. i have been to a couple of campgrounds where they have drainage for gray water only. this may be why they had 2 tanks? with the way they put both tanks into 1 valve now i don't know how you could tell what somebody was dumping. can't think of any other reason for 2 tanks as it is a pain two switch between tanks to dump because they are so far apart.
sal

89Elanden

My rig has 3 seperate tanks, 1 black water, 2 gray water, 1 gray for the shower 1 for the two sinks(kit. & lav.) We frequently camp at a place that has gray water stations at a lot of the sites, which is nice actually. Its basically a big hole in the ground filled with gravel with boxed screen over top. So my girls can shower do the dishes, whatever, and my tanks can be emptied without dragging a towable tank to the dump station, or moving the rig. There is only one main dump valve, but each tank feeds the main dump valve with its own seperate dump valve.