FAQ - VIN Vehicle Identification Number Locations

Started by Oz, March 18, 2009, 09:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oz

Sent: 1/28/2007

Ok, this question has been asked a million and nineteen times in different discussions, but the Message Search reveals no title that would reflect this FAQ!  So...

Across the spectrum of years, generally, where would I find the VIN ID plates for the chassis and for the coach?

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

denisondc

Sent: 1/29/2007

On both of my 72 D22's the Dodge VIN metal plate is screwed to the side of the kitchen cabinet, close to the left side of the entry door, at carpet level. Its easy to see from the outside with the entry door open. The Winnebago VIN is located on a white plastic plate attached to the leatherette of the wall, close to the left knee of the seated driver.

A VIN # is supposedly stamped into the outside of the curbside frame rail, very near the front spring shackle mount and the radiator mount - but both of mine are rusty enough that I cant see any trace of that.

russmehl

My '72 had wall problems by the drivers window and was missing the Winnebago sticker. The title had only the body number and not the chassis number... I wondered if that would cause problems when I sold it, so I called up Winnebago and they printed up a new one from the chassis number. (Free) Smiles all around!

Russ

gromit440

Some of you may have trouble finding your VIN (vehicle identification number). I can't tell you every location on the motor home, however, all Dodges stamped the serial number on the chassis! It is located on the frame facing the outside, above the right front leaf spring. You can find it inside your wheel well. It might require some scraping or a wire brush. The picture below doesn't do it justice, but you can make out a string of numbers and letters.

brians1969

Sent: 2/4/2007

Can someone with a mid 60's to early 70's winnie verify for me that the dodge chassis vin is?(right front frame rail, forward of the shock)

Maybe an approximate dimension to the front bumper? I've been looking and wire brushing but to no avail. I have no Dodge Fargo chassis tag, just the winnie id plate.

thanks,
brian

pollorey

Sent: 2/5/2007

Does anyone actually have a '68 D22 and can say where the VIN plate is? The grille is non-removable without unscrewing on this model. Luckily I was able to find my old registration and thus was able to register without actually locating the VIN. I did look at the right spring area and did not find anything there either. Mine is a '68 D22.

gromit440

Hey Brian,

I have a 74 Travco 270. When I first looked it over for purchase, I was able to find the VIN stamped on the chassis right where the Travco site said it was. It was stamped on the outside rail of the frame behind the passenger side wheel. Had to do a lot of bending and twisting to get a good look. And, lot's of wire brushing and a bright light to expose it. Hooray...the numbers matched.

Jeff

brians1969

Thanks Jeff!  Do you have an approximate dimension from the end of the frame or something to maybe clue me in better?  About how big are these numbers?  The travco picture isn't very clear.

thanks,
brian

gromit440

As I recall, I had to wriggle my way in between the tire/rim and the rig body on the rear side of the wheel, then do the brushing and looking. So, I think it was about just behind (to the back of the rig) or even with the front axel on the outside of the frame. The stamped vin numbers were not that big, about a 1/4 inch....at most. I can't be sure as this was almost 3 years ago this summer and my rig is in storage so I can't check now to be sure.

I plan on bringing her home this weekend for her bi-monthly excercise and battery charge. I can look then, Friday aft. or Saturday morn., and will have a better idea of "exactly" where to look...so you don't have to comepletely wire brush the first 6 feet of your frame.

BTW, it turns out my 1974 Travco is built on a 1973 Dodge chassis and mostly to M-500 standards....so, if I have figured things right, I have a 1973 to 1975 combo....lol...of course not too funny when I have to order parts.

ARRRG!

brians1969

Oh, behind the front axle....I was looking about a foot or so back from the front bumper. When it warms up (supposed be bitter the next couple of days) I'll go back out with the wire brush.

brian

gromit440

Sent: 2/10/2007

Hey Brian,

I brought Folly home and took some pix for you. Turns out the location I described from memory was not accurate. The VIN numbers are located on the outside frame between and in line with the alternator and the center of the radiator.

brians1969

I am still on the hunt for the elusive dodge chassis vin. Can anyone with a 69-72 or so winnie clue me in (with dimensions)as to where exactly I would find the Dodge chassis vin on the right front frame. I've seen the picture on the dodge travco site but it doesn't help.

Presumably, the numbers would have been stamped all in the same area.

thanks
brian

brians1969

Yeah, thanks Dave.  I have now given up on finding it. I looked in that area, wire brushed, etc. and nothing! I didn't need it, but I was curious as to when it was manufactured.  Would I find that number elsewhere? Or are there other things with a manufacture date on them? Instrument cluster maybe?

Brian

engineer bill

On my 1989 Winnegago Warrior, the VIN label (not plate) is located on the inside of the driver's side door. My label lists a GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) and front and rear axle weight ratings. (pictures attached.) What it does not list is the GCWR (Gross Combination Weight Rating) which as I understand it, would be the allowable weight for the RV and any towed vehicle.
"on the road again, I just can't wait to get on the road again..."
thanks to Willie Nelson

WhyPirate

I have I believe in Chevy some cruiser 454 I'm in need of the VIN number location as well as the correct wiring diagram for the fuse under niece the dashboard on the driver side please and thank you otherwise me and my dogs lose our home if I can't get this thing running I've almost got it started but it doesn't stay running it starts then dies and I need to make sure that the wiring is correct so I know if my fuel pump is on or not please and thank you

Oz

I believe it should be on the pillar of the driver's door.  Contact Winnebago and they will send you a wiring diagram.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca