RV Security systems

Started by MSN Member, March 18, 2009, 09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSN Member

Sent: 9/15/2003

As I invest more into my Classic Winnebago Motor home, I thought best to add a low cost security system.  To do this quickly and cheaply, I just added a wireless sensor to my only door on the Motor home.  As long as my Winnebago is in my driveway and the door is closed, the Wireless Control panel that is in my bedroom is happy.  But if someone opens the door of the Winnebago (or drive it away) without first deactivating the system, the system with beep and eventually call me on my cell phone and tell me that I may have a break-in.  The same wireless sensor is on my garage doors.

I have a pocket wireless remote control that I use to deactivate the system from the Motor Home or the driveway before I enter the Motor Home..  The system uses 3A batteries that lasts for 1 year +.

See below website for more info.

http://www.smarthomeusa.com/

The incremental cost to add this protection to my Motor home was under $20 since I already had the control panel setup to protect my garage.

Note: I also installed a $40 system that is a motion detector that senses any movement inside the motor home and has a buzzer that startles the intruder.  See info on this system at :the Camping World website:

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=17015

I will post pictures soon.

Happy Winnebago  to all     ....

Dave Beatty

Lefty

Glad you thought enough of your investment to protect it. It is a sad fact that there are people out there that will break in or steal anything not nailed down. Often the vehicles stolen do not have ANY protection at all. Anything you can do to slow down or delay the theft of your vehicle will be effective most of the time, fortunantly, these older rigs aren't on the "Most Wanted" list for theft, but it can, and does, happen. I install a hidden micro switch on EVERY vehicle I own that disables the ignition circuit. Simple, yet very effective. Until the switch is found and turned on, the only way that you could crank it would be to re-wire the ignition circuit. No theif will take that much time. Just don't mount it in the obvious "under the dash" location, that's the first place they will search. For less than $10 bucks you can buy from Radio Shack a red led light that blinks, and mount it so that it can be seen from the outside as a deterrent. I have had 4 instances where someone has tried to steal one of my vehicles, so far none have suceeded. Knock on wood!! --lefty
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

MSN Member

Great idea... Micro Switch ??   When you have time, could you describe the setup in more detail.  Where and what to buy.  I would like to add to my Classic Winnebago.

I also like the idea of a flashing light to announce the presence of a security system.  I will check out at Radio Shack ...

Thanks again.

Dave Beatty

Lefty

A "micro-switch" is a very small toggle switch, simple two wire on/off style that is small enough to be mounted in a hidden spot.  You basically wire it into the negative side of the coil.  Why?  Because most crooks will try and run a hot (positive) wire to the coil in an attempt to power the ignition.  By breaking the ground side, they still won't be able to get power through the coil.

First, determine which of the two wires on your coil is the neg. (ground).  Most coils have symbols on them to indicate this.

Second, follow the neg. wire back until you get to a location you can cut it and where it cannot be easily seen.

Third, run one wire from the micro-switch to one end of the cut wire.
Be sure to use good connectors and heat-shrink tubing to protect and insulate the connection.

Fourth, run another wire from the other connection on the micro-switch to the other cut end, connecting and insulating it as well.

Fifth, verify setup by turning switch on and cranking the rig. It should start.  Then, turn the switch off and try it.  Now, it should turn over but not start.

Last, hide all wiring.  Use wire sleeves or anything else to prevent anyone from being able to detect the presence of the switch or from figuring out why it won't crank. I won't say where I mounted my switch exactly since that would be advertizing it on the www., but let's just say it can be reached from inside the coach yet it would take a thief hours to locate it.

Good luck - lefty
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

MSN Member

Thanks for the help.

Your solution combined with with my security system that dials me and  notifies me when any intrusion (via my cell phone) should help insure that my Classic Winnebago stays parked unless I do the driving.

I also have a camera that sends a photo to my private website each time there is a noticeable movement near the motor home.

As usual I am overklilling the process ..

See ya.

mightybooboo

"I also have a camera that sends a photo to my private website each time there is a noticeable movement near the motor home.  As usual I am overkilling the process ..Dave Beatty."

Dave... overkill? I find that hard to believe!

Great topic.  I would like to hear more ideas if anyone has em, having had 2 vehicles stolen.  Lost my 68 Mustang (hot wired), got my 65 bug back minus engine, windows and tires and interior (Towed... it wasn't even running at the time.)Both within a month of each other and only 30 miles apart.   

Also, 2 mustangs vandalized (tires, radios, another interior seats stolen) when I lived in Rialto.  I gave up trying to own a Mustang.  Talk about bad mojo.  I think we should hang car thieves like we did with Horse thieves.
BooBoo

MSN Member

As usual I am overkilling the process ..

Dave, no such thing!

You can not overkill or over-engineer anything!  It's merely properly done.

MSN Member

Sent: 1/5/2004

Yes, RV security is an area usually over-looked.  I like the idea of putting a switch on the ground side of the coil, since most people do think in terms of "cutting the power".
ahem
   Since I camp out literally in the boonies, and often leave the RV unattended while I hike and/or explore, security is a prime concern. To deter intruders, I put Robodog to work.  An outside sensor mounted by the door sets it off, and it DOES sound like an angry Rottweiler.  A water dish and a BIG food dish half full of BIG kibble alongside the front door helps sell it.   Robo operates on either batteries or A.C., but using it at home would soon give it away since everyone here knows I don't actually have a dog.  But if your situation is different, it could be a great security back up.
   Since I do bikes for Burning Man, and have them often all over both my front and back yards, I also have a camera system that covers both.  The back yard camera is on constantly, and automatically turns on the VCR when anything moves...and it's also infrared. (I have some great films of cats hunting!)  The IR camera lights are supported by a motion-activated IR floodlight, that turns everything in front of it into broad daylight, at least for the camera.  I also take this Infra-Red Floodlight with me into the desert to watch the nightlife, and if I feel like expending the effort, I can take the camera & VCR along to record it.  And to find out "What is that noise??" in the middle of the night.  Now, THAT'S security!
   Just as the neighbors all know I don't have a dog, they also all know I DO have cameras!  That's probably the most effective security.
   With the availability of both motion-detectors and remote control devices, it should be easy for anyone to create the system that would work for them, at least if the RV is within range of the devices.  If nothing else, a battery-operated motion detector could easily be set up inside the RV, to activate a kill switch.  As long as the motion detector is on, and the intruder is moving, he can't start the RV.  All YOU have to do is to turn off the motion detector. (Make sure one of the kids can't turn it back on as you're crusin' down the four-lane!)
   Anyway... I think this is a subject that needs more attention here, and thanks for bringing it up!

Da (fairly safe) Rat

ClydesdaleKevin

We have two German Shepherd dogs, a Himilayan that thinks he's a German Shepherd, a duck that is a better watch-dog than ALL of them, and a shotgun loaded with number nine Quail shot (it will devastate an intruder but won't penetrate beyond your walls into the NEXT camper).

Pets aside, a shotgun is the best RV security that you could possibly need.  Keep it loaded with light shot, number nine or the like for quail or skeet, and you won't have to worry about neighbors.  There are even revolvers and derringers out there that are chambers for 45 long colt OR 410 shotgun shells.  Good stuff in an RV.

Shotguns are pretty much legal in every state and in your RV its okay to cross state lines with one.  Some states like Massachusetts get a little squirrelly if its loaded, so unload it before crossing the border...and some cities like NYC and DC forbid all firearms, period.  If you have to cross over these cities, hide it well, unloaded.

On a safety note, firearms are VERY dangerous to have around children that aren't acclimated to having firearms around them.  If you have kids, or if kids are going to be playing in your RV, make sure that the gun is UNLOADED, with a trigger lock, and lock the ammunition up somewhere separate and safe.  Just know where the keys are so you can get to them quick in an emergency.

Again stressing the safety issues, keep all firearms locked up with the ammunition locked up separately if there is even the remotest chance that you'll have unsupervised children in your rig.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ibdilbert01

Sigh...  One More Mental Note....

"Never knock on the door of an RV owner whom might have a duck as a pet, results could be hazardous to ones health".   :)clap  ;)
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

The_Handier_Man1

Quote from: ClydesdaleKevin on March 28, 2009, 11:27 PM
Pets aside, a shotgun is the best RV security that you could possibly need.  Keep it loaded with light shot, number nine or the like for quail or skeet, and you won't have to worry about neighbors. 

Kev
I would think that a shotgun going off inside a MH, even with blanks, would stop my heart.  And the "curtains" might get a powder burn too.  OK, even a duck going off inside would stop me,  Les

1oleman

Ducks are one heck of a warning system..Ask anyone who has had them-they usually don't care who they bite!!!!!!!!Ed

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL!!!

My duck is laughing too!

I did modify my post above to include safety measures if you are going to have children in your RV unattended.

And I'm not all that trigger happy...lol!  Our shotgun is kept unloaded in a case in the back of a closet, and ammunition, while not locked up, is in a separate cabinet.  We don't have kids so nothing is locked up and we don't use trigger locks or whatnot, but if you have kids or kids will be in your RV unsupervised, USE a trigger lock, and lock up the ammo.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

mightybooboo

As a new duck owner I can say they are indeed GREAT watchdogs.Just had the ducks sound the alarm when Momma Raccoon showed up.Alerted German Shep who charged into back yard and sent raccoons packing.

Also on the gun thing,we had a situation,remote campground and drugged out psycho.Our lives were indeed in grave peril and not a weapon to be had on our part.

Self defense needs for us campers are very real and please consider then,We easily could have been murder victims it was that dicey.