spring on the steering gear mounting bracket?

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 10, 2008, 10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumpy

Sent: 7/28/2008 10:23 AM

While checking on the steering hoses, I crawled underneath and I found a rather large spring hanging from the top of the mounting bracket that the steering gear attaches to.
one end is attached to a hole in the top of the bracket and the other end that is not attached has plate on it with a hole that I assume goes to a bolt somewhere?

My Indian has tilt steering wheel but does not have the foot control that you depress to release it. the previous owner said you just move it to where you want it and it stays put. it does work and stays where you want it.

My assumption was this was some type of return spring that is used for the tilt function and it was removed along with the foot pedal.

Any thoughts?

bergmarkdale

Sent: 7/28/2008 11:00 AM

My 1979 Winnie on a Dodge chassis has the pedal for tilt wheel but it is above the floorboard, not underneath.  It is a very heavy coil spring which holds the steering column wherever you set it.  Seems that the column would never stay where you put it without this spring.  Maybe your spring is something else?

lumpy

Sent: 7/28/2008 11:52 AM

yes I have the heavy coil spring attached to my steering column as well just below the dash.
i was assuming the spring at the steering gear was possibly attached to assist in pushing the column forward.
got me stumped. as my column stays put wherever I put it. it takes a bit of force to move it from one position to the next.
Got me stumped

mike

75Travco

Sent: 7/30/2008 3:17 AM

That could be the return spring for the brake pedal.  My 1973 RM350 has a fairly stout spring running from the lower part of the brake pedal to the steering gear bracket.

Oz

Sent: 7/30/2008 3:42 AM

BINGO........75travco has hit the nail on the head.

I checked the diagram on the service manual and there it was in the brakes section.

I was looking the steering section over because I assumed it was part of the the steering system due to the spring being attached to the steering gear bracket.

Thanks a bunch guys

Mike
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca