1975 Winnebago Chieftain with Cat Diesel?

Started by bigern, March 13, 2009, 12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigern

Hi all!   Glad to be part of the forum.  Has anybody heard about cat deisel v8 being put in a winnebago?  That's what mine has in it.  Model is d23c /vin/m40ca6j002636 /serial /10322g1-69205/ the vin says 440 but it has the cat 3802 v8. I think motor looks factory.  You would swear it came in it.  Will take some pics in next few days thanks ernie :laugh:
bigern

ClydesdaleKevin

Welcome to the group!  We'd all love to see pics of the diesel and how its installed!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

Welcome to CW!

I haven't come across any information that Winnebago ever put diesel in the old models, nor have we ever encountered one which was confirmed to have been a factory installation.  The VIN indicated a 440 and that's what it would have had.  The diesel would be an owner installed motor, either by self or professionally.

We've had etensive discussions on the options and potential cost vs. benefits of putting diesels in.  Based on those discussions, the concensus was that, unless you got a motor very cheaply, you'd have to live to be like 100 years old and drive tens of thousands of miles a year to make it worthwhile.  So, since your rig already has one and it runs good, you're a very luck and rare customer!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

bigern

going to put some pics up in my profile check it out thanks ernie
bigern

D20T_73

I really want to put a cummins in my 73 D20.  Not really to save money but for the power. I hope to have her for years and years and Im often pullin trailers so the extra power would be awesome...my 318 just isn't cutting it :/

bigern

that would be cool to have a cummins in it .i wonder what it would involve to change it over.if you could find a deal in the junkyard on parts.someone did the hard work for me .i start it up and you would think i was  :D driving a trailer truck for the way it sounds.i am going to try to research the other owners maybe i can find out how cat ended up to be. 8)
bigern

Cooneytoones

Yes there was one for sale down here about 2 years ago ...It too was a  Chieftain but a '77 with a Cat under the doghouse.....or should I say under the Cathouse...It was in great shape and was interested in buying it...but the guy sold it before I could get the money together. I don't know much more about them except that they were a special order.

bigern

There are a few pics in my album.  No, it does not have a turbo yet :D but I am looking for a deal.  Hope to find one cheap.

Cooneytoones, where did you hear that they were a special order?
bigern