Electric steps don't work

Started by sousa, March 08, 2009, 07:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sousa

I was wondering why my electric steps don't work when I open or close the door. Any solution to this matter?

89Elanden

You may have a "Lock" switch in  the lock position. My rig has a bank of switches mounted in the cabinet by the door, one goes to the exterior light, one is the switch that locks the electric step in either the extended or stowed position, I think it was labeled at one time but has no indicator on it now, just dumb luck I discovered it while trying to turn on the exterior light.
Rick

Chuck

I've had quite an adventure with electric steps here the past few days.  My steps are a Kwikee brand 2855 (28 series) which are a 24" single step.  From what I have gathered, Kwikee is fairly good at stocking parts for their steps, but this is one of the older vintage series.  The electric motor burned out and finding a replacement has been tricky to say the least.  The thing had a Delco part number on it, and though I was not able to match it up at any of the local parts houses, the good old internet came through with a couple of surprising cross references.  One was the passenger window on an early 70's Cadillac, and the other was the same on a 77 GMC C series pickup.  I was kind of surprised to learn that Kwikee was using Delco power window motors in their steps.  I was not able to find any references to vehicles in the 80's with this part number, and since Giant is an 88 it leads me to believe that Kwikee was getting a sweet deal on overstocked motors from GM.  I ordered the part for a 77 GMC truck and when it came in I kept the core to verify matchup.  There were some slight alterations needed, such as the mounting holes protruded on the new part, where they were flush with the gear housing on the original - a hack saw quickly fixed this.  Also there were a couple of holes that required tapping but that was no problem.   The worm gear was built into the motor, but the larger gear that mated with it had to be kept from the original.  There was also a protruding set screw at the end of the worm gear which I replaced with the one from the original. 

Well finally I got it all back together and mounted it.  I opened the door and turned on the door switch and the step came out all of the way, yippee! :)clap, but when I held in the close switch, there was a loud "click" (almost a hammering sound) when it first started closing, still it moved and closed about half way, as if something were binding it.  After 3 times of the same thing, I decided I better quit before I busted something.  So I have some fine adjusting to do; possibly I have something in backwards somewhere   :-\.  I was wondering if I didn't position the set screw on the end of the worm gear properly when I changed it out;  I tightened it all of the way down and then backed off a half turn, maybe it should be tighter.  Well it is raining cats and dogs now so I may have a day or so to ponder my problem.  Wish me luck!
I'm working on it!

eXodus

My Kwikee Series 28 stopped working a couple of days ago.

Since they had been perfectly working the days before I figured - must be something electrical and not mechanic.
So I got the troubleshooting paper and stepped it through, everything works , must be the motor.

Dismounted the motor, - brushes are gone, nothing left. Only a little bit of copper.

I packed the whole thing, going to campingworld - they want- $189 - what in the world ??  It is a stupid electric Motor.

Doing a little bit research, the Motors of the Kwikee steps are simple Power Window Motors, from Dorman.   http://www.dormanproducts.com/catalog/WindowLiftMotors.pdf
Matched my Motor with the chart - it's from a 1996-2004 Ford Taurus

So got on Amazon: ]Dorman 742-240 Ford/Mercury Driver Side  $42 inkl shipping.

should be here by the weekend, hopefully it's a plug and play installation but kinda looks like.

Rickf1985

Excellent sleuth work and info, be sure to let us know how it works out. Does the step motor have the gear like the window motor?

eXodus

Yes they do come with the gears. There is an gear adapter already on the old motor which is easy to remove to fit the Window Motor.

Every Series of the electrical steps has a different Window Motor. Series 25 for example is from an Ford Taurus 89-95.

Rickf1985

Mine is getting real slow and I have already lubed everything that rubs.

pvoth1111

the switch on the door...little magnetic reed switch.....is probably bad....mine was....that and PO had it all rigged....cause a 7.00 part went bad.....there are manuals in the member area....showing wiring diagrams
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

eXodus

Quote from: Rickf1985 on December 19, 2014, 01:30 PM
Mine is getting real slow and I have already lubed everything that rubs.

probably the brushes in the motor dirty, Remove the whole Motor (3 hex screws) then just remove the 4 screws which are holding the motor housing and pull it off.
Then you can see the brushes and the slip-ring. - clean it and remove the graphite between the copper pads. A carpenters knife was very handy for this job.

Elandan2

On mine it was the dashboard switch.  Winnebago put in a switch rated at 10 amps and the Kwikee called for a minimum 20 amp.  I got a 30 amp switch (although I couldn't get a rocker switch) and the step has work perfectly since.  After fixing it, I took the old switch apart and it was all burnt inside.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

eXodus

so I got the Motor today and the Motor seems like it could work.  BUT, the hole pattern is not okey.

I think I got I typo while matching the parts and I've got ordered the 742 - 240  and I need a 742-242 which is not available anymore...  Will go hunting the web

circleD

can you adapt the holes by drilling? If it has the torque and the other is N/A you might as well make it work.

HamRad Mobile

Good morning; 

For repairing electric motors, I have found the NAPA Illustrated Electrical Parts Manual to be very helpful.  And they do seem to have replacement DC brushes (high copper content with an obvious copper color) that will help restore good contact with the commutator and operation. 

If there is not enough metal available to allow moving the mounting holes to the required location to permit installing the other motor that was purchased, perhaps the original motor can be repaired. 

The other major variant in brushes seems to be the high carbon content type (dark gray) used mainly with AC motors. 

Enjoy; 

Ralph 
Latte Land, Washington 

eXodus

i would have to drill the holes bigger and since there is a lot of force in play and the new part is not metal anymore, its plastic i dont think it would be a good idea,

replacing the brushes was my first idea, they copper wire is soldered in, and there is really nothing left, to measure the dimensions, so i just dont wanted to spent 10 bucks in brushes when i get for 40 a new motor with gears which is not a couple of decades old.

i am making progress, the motor was built into a ford ranger and bronco, maybe a other manufacutrere then dorman is making replacement parts.

eXodus

final solution:

Advanced Auto Parts could match the Motor:  ACI has picked up the Dorman Patent of the Motors and is making them now.

ACI 83394 which fits good (two of three screws) or ACI 83095 which fits better.  (all three) Both Motors are $30 at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/ACI-83394-Power-Window-Motor/dp/B000BZ71NI
http://www.amazon.com/ACI-83095-Power-Window-Motor/dp/B000BZ57ZW

I did pick the ACI 83394, just because the Motor is much bigger and has more torque. I think it's the safer option for a long life even if the step is not perfectly lubricated.
Since often times the Motors dies of overheating.

I did modify the mounting bracket and got the motor nice and perfectly mounted.

Rickf1985

I remember in the mileage thread you were saying your rig is substantially higher than mine. How many steps swing out on yours? Mine has two.

WI_Jeff

This is an old post on power steps but I drive old stuff. This is what I Have and what I did. I have a 1987 Winnebago Chieftain sitting on a Chevy P-30. My electric steps were getting bad, then finally just quit. I ordered a "power window regulator motor for GMCs (1980-1990)" on eBay for about $40. I had to use the original case that attaches to the motor, but it fit on without a problem. Not sure if this is the "preferred" method, but it worked for me. What I concluded is that most of the power step motors are just modified power window motors. Hope this helps... Jeff

Rickf1985

Good info but a part number would help since there are many different window motor numbers.

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

fasteddie313

My steps on my Rambler are 2 steps that swing down powered by what appear to be 2 windshield wiper motors..
I don't know what they are but after the gearbox they each stroke a crank about 180 degrees (vertical shaft) which both connect to the steps (horizontal shaft)..

I've had my steps working before but then they seemed to quit..
For some reason the one motor decided to work again now, I noticed that its crank arm was bent a bit to where it would rub, unbent it, they have been working again for a few days..

I have a switch on the wall to turn the steps on and off, switch on the door jam, and they operate off of the chassis/engine electricity side for some reason..

I was out late last night working on it, I'm really tying up a lot of loose ends on it these days, finishing the little stuff..

I had the door closed and was in the drivers seat, switched the engine power on to turn the radio on, heard the steps pick up..
I played with the CBs trying to get one to work for a while, swapped the shower/bath faucet to an awesome one, screwed around for an hour or so..

On my way out for the night I went and turned the lights off and engine power and just basically shut it down so it wasn't using much electricity other than floating the battery..

Lights all off I opened the door and stepped right off a cliff!!
Steps were UP and I stepped right out, as to step on the top step, and BAM right to the ground, lol..

Lucky I am young yet or something like that could have wrecked me..

I have all sorts of stuff working these days though!! It seems this spring little "finishes" have been coming hand over fist..

Rickf1985

Was the step switch in the ON position? There is a Kwikee trouble shooting chart on this site somewhere, I put it here but do not remember where. It was several years ago.

Found it. It is not the one I had but it should help

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/Pages_HTML/FreeManuals/Steps/Kwikee/Lectro-Matic%202500-8300.pdf

If that does not help then go here, these are the people that make them now

https://www.lci1.com/support-kwikee-steps

RANGERRICK

I have never seen a Kwikee step with two motors.If you have a control box you can by pass it to check  the motor.

fasteddie313

It seems that even with the steps switch in the off position, if I come in, close the door, and then eventually flip on the truck power, it picks up the steps..

It does have a control box, made of stainless or aluminum, with 2 plugs like flat trailer lights plugs, couple more wires come out the side..
Inside the box are some really cool looking clear relays with blue windings in them iirc, on a tan board..
The box does have a nice schematic sticker on it..

I did not look for a brand on the steps.. Maybe I will and post it, but they seem to be working. I just need to look before I leap :)

Rickf1985

The steps are supposed to come in when the ignition is turned on, that prevents you from driving off and snagging them on something. If the switch is off they will not come back out when it is turned off but I think they might come out if it is running and you open the door. Basically normal operation if the engine is running regardless of switch position. The switch has to be on for them to work when parked.