Considering Air Ride Suspension

Started by MSN Member, March 06, 2009, 11:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knuckleheadpower

Sent: 11/17/2008

I am putting the running gear and drive train from a 1975 Indian w/440 on my 1976 Brave. I was thinking about building an air ride system for it. Does anyone have any recommendations. Just an idea, since I will have it all apart.
Thanks.

Oz

Sent: 11/13/2005

Rating: out of 5

Air bag adjustable suspension system added to leaf springs.

Positive: 4 out of 5

Provides additional load capacity, restores stability to suspension and improves handling.  Front and rear available for most rigs.  Check listings for vehicle applications.  Available for Class A: M300 through M600 and Class C: B350.  Can be purchased as a system with on-board compressor and regulator to adjust ride and load capacity while driving and as a leveler while camping.  2 Year warranty on bag system only, lifetime warranty if complete system is purchased.  Easy installation with just a few common hand tools and drill.  Front system a little more difficult than rear.  About 2 hours per axle.  Be sure to leave adequate clearance from brake lines.

Negative: 1 out of 5

Expensive, but definitely worth it if you can afford it.

Evaluation:

I installed both front and rear sets on my '74 Indian over a year ago.  Made a WORLD of difference!  No more white knuckling at the wheel when being passed by trucks or in a cross wind.  No more slowing down to 10 mph on curves and off-ramps because the rig feels like it will roll-over on its side.  Takes a few drives to dial-it-in to the psi you like for your particular rig.  I'd like the on-board, adjustable compressor system, but don't have the money.  They also have self-adjusting systems now too.  (if you happen to have a pile of dusty cash just lying around).  Can be easily used for leveling in a campground with a very small air compressor, just don't forget to even it back out before leaving!  Cost me around $275 total for both axles at the time.  Do some shopping for the best price!

Sources:

http://www.airliftcompany.com/

Use this link to find your vehicle.  Use the side-bar options on the site for descriptions, warranty info, and technical data.

Check other sources for competitive prices:  Camping World, TruckSprings.com and a host of others.

- Sob
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Oz

Sent: 10/13/2006

Considering that RVs, buses, and semis... all the heavy road vehicles you can name, have been using them for years (not just the preference of CW users).  There's no substitute for the air bags... can tune them to the type of roads you are planning to drive at any given time.  You can add a small compressor, gauges, and valves and make them remotely adjustable, creating a campground leveling system or instantly adjustable to changing road conditions.

Here's my opinion, and I've been using them for 2 years now... absolutely, totally worth every penny!  Not only do they reduce the body sway, they improve the ride and can be tuned to varied road conditions.

If you do a lot mountain driving with sharp turns and really want to make a significant improvement in your rigs driveability, get the airbags.  They certainly won't cost any more than spring re-arching and are a whole lot less hassle!

- Sob
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Elandan2

Sent: 10/13/2006

I put air bags on my rig and the difference is unbelievable.  My rig has factory sway bars front and rear but the improvement to both body roll and ride with the air bags was incredible.  I also drive in the mountains and have always looked for ways to improve the handling of our motorhome and I think that the air bags were the best money spent on a suspension improvement by far.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Cooneytoones

Sent: 10/14/2006

Sway bars and air bags do different things on a vehicle...

Sway bars work horizontally with the ground and are to keep the chassis (rear) stable, and relieve pressure placed on the wheel bearings... just as a front stablizer bar does with the front suspension...It also relives pressure on the  front wheel bearings and the king pins..so that the chassis does not sway....a totally different principle than air bags, sway bars and front stabilizer bars will help your steering some.

Air bags (work vertically) keeping the body from rolling or comming down on the frame, they are a support system for the springs and shocks, they also help keep the wheels pushed toward the ground thus giving you better traction  (more friction)....the more tire that touches the ground and does not bounce off the ground the better your ride and handling will be.

Together, both items work in harmony, giving you a much better ride and handling ...... if I had to choose one over the other...the air bags would be my choice...........no questions asked!  Adding both would be a great benefit to you....Just adding the bars, I doubt you will notice a difference, especially when a big rig blows by you and the aero-push, tries to move you out of your lane.... Air bags help this problem, but will never eliminate it totally, due to the fact, the air that the big rig is moving.... has to go somewhere....and when it hits that big flat Winnebago.........Well we all know what happens then.....air bags greatly reduce the problem....sway  bars will do nothing except help you steer back into the lane you was already in.

Timmy

knuckleheadpower

Sent: 11/18/2008

Thanks, I am glad to hear they work so good with the stock springs, I will just do that, much easier and cheaper. I was thinking of just getting rid of the springs all together and running just bags.

tiinytina

Sent: 11/18/2008

I put Airlift 1000's in to the front coil springs on our 1987 Tiffin Allegro last spring. It took me 5 hours total but this included removing the old rotted airlifts. Putting the new bags in was frustrating and there was no square inch of skin on my hands unscathed. In retrospect soak the bags in very hot water to ease compressing them prior to inserting them, soap helped too.

The result is very nice... The roll encountered when turning corners virtually disappeared and we rock and roll alot less. If I could afford rear one's I would probably invest in them too....

good luck, Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

vic 75

Just be very careful how much air you put in them. I had 100psi in mine and it kept things very tight. I hit a pot hole and broke 3 leafs and could have possibly lost my life had they all broke. lesson learned, .I had way to much air in the bags and it didn't allow for any movement of the leafs, now I only put 50 psi in the rear, and this allows for some movement back there. and the leafs can still do some of the job.

Happy driving.  vic 75

D20T_73

JC Whitney sells them too.  So that would be a good place to check for a good price. I'm really wanting to do the same thing on my 73'. I plan on pulling trailers and the rear end sags quite a bit already...so air bags are a MUST!