Wheels: Coined in - Coined out?

Started by MSN Member, March 04, 2009, 07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coachmen1972

Sent: 7/13/2006

We're talking wheels here.

What does that mean? I noticed bevels on the lug holes in my wheels......outies on half, innies on the other half.....is that what we're talking here?

The hub/drum is flat right? Wheel position on the hub is immaterial right? All the lug nuts are the same?

So what's the secret here?

Thank you.....

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 7/14/2006

Correct me if I'm wrong, all you mechanical folks, but here is my understanding of coined in/coined out:  Its all about wheel dish.  In other words, if the hub, including its "spokes", in our case the metal flat center of our wheels, is in the center of the rim, and therefore in the center of the rubber, the wheel has a "0" dish ( bicycle wheel building term).  If the "spokes" are inset, inclined inward, meaning the rubber sits farther from the hub, and the flat metal surface that constitutes our "spokes" is inset like looking at a satellite dish, then that means that the wheel is "coined in."  If our "spokes" slant outward, and therefore the rubber sits OUTWARD of our hub center, and the flat surface that constitutes our "spokes" appears the same shape as looking as a contact lens, our wheels are "coined out."  I'm pretty sure I'm right.  Anyone?

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Slantsixness

Sent: 7/15/2006

Coined hubs are hubs that have a recess every other lug for a "coined" area. Since the Hubs are "coined" the wheels and lugs are also "coined".

An explanation of "coined":
A concave recess to accommodate an equally convex mechanical fitment.

ALL COINED RIMS/HUBS HAVE LOCATER PINS

ALL COINED RIMS (should) HAVE COINED LUGS

what years have coined hubs? 8 lug...1972-1987 Dodge 1ton and over trucks (all of them).
71 and prior 8 lug is not coined, but some are, it depends on the exact time that Dodge switched over. They are, however the same bolt circle. Sadly the wheels from later models do not fit the 71 and prior hubs. But 71 and prior can use ford rims with no issues, whereas 72-87 with coining can use Ford rims but the lugs have to be changed, and spacers have to be added to the concave coined hub holes. Not filling the space can cause the lugs to shear (whoa!)

I have not seen a Budd 5 or 6 lug rim that's coined. It wouldn't suprise me to see one coined though....

Last note:
While we're talking about lugs......
71 and prior years (chassis years, NOT Winnie years it DOES matter!!!)
HAVE LEFT HANDED THREAD ON THE DRIVERS (left) SIDE.
(more than one guy around here has wrung off left side lugs... saying "D'oh"..... and slamming their heads in the asphalt.....yes the lugs and studs aren't cheap)

Ok... enough about coining.....

Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

Coachmen1972

Sent: 7/16/2006

OK, Tom, thanks, that confirms what I thought.

Wheels are all coined, alternating "innies and outies", on both sides. All lug nuts are the same, there's a flare at the bottom, with a channel on the wheel side of the nut which will clear an "outie".
The drum has an inward bevel at each lug for an "outie" on any lug.
No pins on the front wheels, Did see the dually pins on the back.

Conclusion is that, with exception of the pin, wheel position or lug nut position does not matter.

If I decide to order replacement one piece rims, I will need to order them coined, because half the holes will seat and position the wheel on the drum.

Oz

Dodge rims have a pin which fits into a corresponding slot on the opposite wheel.  If you don't have the wheels set properly the pin will not lock into the slot.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DaveVA78Chieftain

Alignment Pin: This picture shows the alignment pin that was discussed:

Coined Wheels: In this picture, look at how the wheel flange is bent inward (coined) on the upper wheel stud.  There are 4 bent inward and 4 bent outward:

The nut is flanged so that it fits firmly over an outward (raised) coined stud hole.

Dave
[move][/move]