A727 Transmission Fluid Capacity

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 11, 2008, 10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tfraz58

Sent: 5/22/2008 12:20 PM

Quick question:

Chrysler-Dodge 727 transmission. What is the fluid capacity? I am assuming it will want Dexron fluid but how many quarts will it take? I am about to attempt to drain the pan and drop it. After I run in the house, get a towel, wipe off my face, neck, and chest, and sop up what spilled on the ground, I would like to change the filter and install the new gaskets to replace the leaking ones.

I should buy a book. 1975 Winnebago Brave. Dodge chassis, 440 engiine, 727 transmission. What book do I want? Which truck chassis is me beauty built upon? M300? D100? Boeing 747? AARP? *sigh*

MN Tom

dslask

Sent: 5/22/2008 6:29 PM

a 727 trans will take 12 qts of  fluid if you drain the torque converter too. and you do want to drain the converter so you get all new fluid in it. hope that helps.

denisondc

Sent: 5/23/2008 3:39 AM

Your 75 Brave would probably be on the M400 chassis, as it has the 440-3. If it were it a 360-3 engine it might be on theM300 chassis. There were also M500 chassis for the longer wheel bases - like over 22 ft, also having the 440-3.
Its not easy to get the fluid out of the torque converter, as I dont think they ever had drains - they certainly didnt in the earlier 727s.

So you had about 6 quarts spilling out the bottom. All automatic transmissions are this way, and the doctrine of changing fluid each 30,000 miles accepted the fact that you only would be changing 50% of the total. So if you want to take the extra trouble to run the engine and be feeding oil into the tranny while catching the remaining old ATF as it comes out of the tranny on its way to the atf cooler in the bottom of the radiator - thats fine. But, unless your tranny's fluid was really dirty (dark brown in color and acrid in smell) it will still be good if you only change the 50%.

I believe the tranny cooling line coming from the front-most fitting on the tranny is the line where the fluid comes 'out' of the transmission.

There are two books you would want, (the dodge motor home chassis service manual, and the dodge motor home chassis parts cataloge), but both of them are on the website and can be downloaded - if you have a wideband internet connection.

dslask

Sent: 5/23/2008 11:53 AM

i have a 1973 and there's a drain in the converter. just pull the inspection plate off the front of the trans (two small bolts) rotate the engine till you find the plug, and drain. easy.