Winnie Wanders: EASY steering adjustment & other things to cure loose steering

Started by MSN Member, January 16, 2009, 07:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mytdawg

Sounds like mine could benefit from this as well although I doubt I have anything that resembles the tools needed.  As far as the next to last step goes, where you are checking the resistance and adjusting etc. - You do this with the engine OFF - correct?  Thanks!

Oz

The only special tool needed would be a small spanner wrench.  I didn't have one, so I used a short, flat-tip screwdriver and tapped it with a hammer to turn the yoke.

As I said in my previous post, you can check with or without the engine running.  Dave and I did ours without it running because it was summer and hot and you don't have the motor running right next to your head.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Brownfamily

Yes i did it with the engine off. The manual says to do a bench adjustment but i went with the email info that says you don't have to. It seems to have really tightened the play up a great deal. I haven't road tested yet as i still have some break issues to deal with. The hardest thing was to loosen the lock nut. Lots of WD40 and hammering but after 15 minutes or so FREEDOM! I had a leak from the top seal and hope this will help stop it but i doubt it. I did find a place here in CA about 3 hours from me that quoted $150 to rebuild with new seals, bushings, and bearings with all adjustments. I am asking now about any warranty of work so will let you all know.

I didn't have any special tools either.

On a side note i did find that one of the clamps on the steering column nearest the gear had a missing bolt/Nut. NICE! So there was some play there too for obvious reasons....not to mention some danger.
Jon

1973 Winnebago Indian D-24 M400 Chassis

Mytdawg

Quote from: Oz on September 08, 2014, 10:56 PM

As I said in my previous post, you can check with or without the engine running.  Dave and I did ours without it running because it was summer and hot and you don't have the motor running right next to your head.

Sorry, a bit ADD.  I get through the important bits then squirrel!

Mytdawg

A friend did this on mine today in exchange for setting up his new computer.  We ended up adjusting it about a third of a turn on mine and it tightened it up pretty nice.  Still wanders a bit but not nearly the play in the steering wheel that there was.  Not too shabby for an hour or two investment including quid pro quo work  Most of the effort was spent cleaning the 40 years of crud off the steering box.  Thanks!.