Gas Mileage: 440

Started by jipjob, January 10, 2009, 10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jipjob

Sent: 7/30/2003

At what speed do people usually get the best mileage out of thier old winnie with a 440.  I'm hopping to get maybe 7 to 8 miles a gallon, is to much to ask? Jon

denisondc

If yours is a 22 footer weighing 5 tons, I think you should be able to get 7 mpg if you keep your average speed at or below 60, and 8 if you are on a road where you could cruise at 50 to 55 without holding up traffic. Thats in flat country with open roads allowing steady speeds. If your RV is on a longer wheel base chassis like the 26 foot or longer ones it would have a higher numerical rear end ratio, -4.88 for example-, the engine would turn a little faster at a given speed, and your best mileage wouldn't be as good - but you need the higher numerical ratio to haul a heavier RV up the mountain roads. In mountains or in congested traffic your mileage will be worse. This assumes your engine is in good shape, the carburetor has about the proper jets, etc. The engine is most efficient at the speed where it can develop its peak torque. In my 72 D22 with the 413 engine that is about 2700 rpm. With the 4.56 ratio my driveshaft is turning about 2550 rpm at 55, and due to torque converter slip the engine is turning about 2750. So I think mine is well optimized for cruising at 55. And If Im holding up too many trucks by only going 60 mph, I get off the interstate. Over 5 or 6 fill-ups - from Virginia to Texas - mine averages 7.8 mpg. The shorter/lighter units on the M300 chassis had a 4.10 rear end I think, and might get slightly more. denison

jipjob

Thanks for the information and my rig is 1974 Winnebago 22 foot Brave and is in the picture file as Bo1. Thanks again and I'll try to stay in the slow lane.  I didn't know my rig would way in at 5 tons very interesting

Boat Nut

Sent: 8/1/2003

Hi All,
Personally I will just laugh at anyones claim of knowing how to get 17 - 19 MPG on these old rigs. I have talked to people who have installed fuel injection on a 440 and it still got 8 MPG.

Driving 50 MPH instead of 65 MPH is the bigest gas saver I have ever found. That is if you don't mind the cussing as everyone has to line up to pass you.

If anyone ever finds a way to actually consistantly get better than 10 MPG with any of these beasts, I'd like to hear about it. That is actual fillup to fillup mileage, not some computer read, one time, coasting, etc.

Chuck

mightybooboo

With a rebuilt 440,edlebrock 650 carb,radials,23 foot minnie winnie,1979,about 60 miles an hour I average 7.5 mpg.At least it uses regular gas.
BooBoo

Crazytrain

Hi Again,

I'm back from the canadian maritime province. On a rip of 1060miles, my 1974 440 D-23L
did an average 8.4 mpg. Speed: 55-58 mph and towing my Daewoo Lanos.

I made an homemade ram-air using a flexible aluminum tube, tune the carb (Thermoquad),
put a new choke spring, spark plug and wire. I run on Bridgestone radial. From 7 mpg when
I bought it I'm now at 8.4 towing a car.

My goal is 10mpg. Do someone know about a 4 speed OD transmission retrofit???

On and off the rail forever,

Cazytrain

Lefty

Sent: 8/2/2003

Hi Boatnut, Your rig must be in dire need of a good tune-up,lol, as I regularly get about 9mpg with my 28ft Chieftan,tank-to-tank,running highway speeds of 70-75mph. with an extremly well tuned 440 running headers and flowmaster dual exhoust and a Chrysler gold top control module.There are many ways to get better mileage out of these things,each little tenth adds up. I was only suggesting that with a little work, and a lot of dough, it can be done. You are correct though that driving a little slower can, and does save fuel.The goal I set may have been a little on the optimistic side,but I'll bet if you brought your rig to me with about 4 or 5 grand in your pocket, I'd have you awful close to that 17mpg goal.lol --lefty
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

jipjob

Sent: 8/3/2003

the best thing you can do is to keep the engine tuned -up and the drivetrain in good shape. the more efficiently you burn the air/fuel mix and the less resistance you have to turning those wheels adds up to less stops at the gas pump.
don't forget, when you drive these things it's like pushing two sheets of plywood into the wind and pulling 10,000 pounds behind you. aerodynamics wasn't considered when they were built

txmoparmuscle

My rig loaded with the race car (tipping the scales at 20,000 lbs.) will get a consistent 4.9 at 70mph. If I slow down to 60 it gets 5.5. Not loaded with the car  I have gotten as much as 6.5. But I'm not complaining, I have about 7000.00 in it including the new engine with an aftermarket towing cam, custom built Holly carb. and ported heads. The 50 or 60 thousand dollars to buy a newer rig will buy a lot of gas.

cosmic

I would have to agree with the guy few posts up. Keep your engine tuned up.
Good plugs,wires and air filter you can do that yourself. Then try to find a old mo-par gear head like I did. This guy really knows this engine he set my timing and adjusted my  carb. She purrs like a kitten. Ok a very big cat. Ha Ha. But I easily get 8 miles to a gallon

Brave76

Ok, so I have not been keeping track of mileage cause I have only had my Rig since the end of last summer and only have taken quick trips. Getting ready tomorrow and this weekend to go for a 450 mile round trip over a 4000 foot mountain pass towing a 73VW westfalia loaded to the brim with camping stuff. On the 60 mile trip from where I store it to where I live to get it ready tonight I got just about 5 mpg (while towing going about 60mph) Is this normal or indicative of a problem?
Also how big are the tanks i need to know if i need to refuel or not mid way through the trip?

I will keep track of the mileage and plan to go about 55 for the majority of the trip and not push it on the mountain.

The engine has run perfectly and always starts right up. The only thing I have noticed is on the freeway at about 45 mph the oil pressure needle pegs out at High and stays that way till off the freeway, but will run for at least an hour that way with no problems. Any thoughts

Thanks

fireball440

My 1977 Apollo 30 ft with the 440 engine just got 23 miles to the gallon.....Then I woke up from the dream....

Beachcomber

Whenever people ask what kind of mileage we get, I just pause, look surprised for a moment then say "I'm supposed to get gas mileage with one of these?" I'm usually just pleased to get to the next gas stop! 7 to 10 mpg in a good state of tune should be expected, after that, the cost per mpg may not justify the gas saved.

mhd_graphics

I joined this group after purchasing a 1974 Champion Titan 21 footer.  The unit has been sitting for about a year and when I got it home I found out that there was an engine fire in its past. After spending a week re-wiring the lights and the engine, I headed out from Las Vegas and ended up in Port Orford, Oregon. Average MPG = 7.87  at about 50-55 MPH. (Lost a gas cap just before Reno and didn't find a replacement until Grants Pass). Anyway this will be home for awhile - to accumulate enough funds to rebuild the inside.

I have been looking at engine mods to increase fuel economy from this site:   http://www.eagle-research.com/

Their water injection and HHO systems look interesting and as soon as I have a change I will install them.

PS Admin: Thanks for all the great manuals on your site! it really helps to know what I'm dealing with!

gadgetman

Miles per gallon ? Ha ! I rate mine at dollars per hour :)  73 440 running the gen and average speed of 60 gets me 35.00/hr at 3.50 a gal ! now there is fuel math for ya :)

Sasquatch

1976 Executive 26'  M500 Chassis, 440-3 727  Coach weighs in at about 14k, usually tow a tow car or at least a motorcycle trailer with 2-3 bikes on it.

Mileage sits between 5.75 and 6.5mpg.  Hopefully that will change.  Just installed a Professional Products Powerinjection III fuel injection system.  Will be taking a trip this weekend to see.  So far power is MUCH improved.  Cold starts are a laugh now.  Turn the key and boom, running.

Engine was rebuilt along with the entire chassis 2 years ago (have a thread in here somewhere).  Engine mods include:
Thorely 1 3/4 long tube headers, 3" exhaust, performance muffler.
MSD 6A ignition w/Super Coil
Mild Comp Cam set up for towing
Edelbrock 440 Performer intake
Above stated mileage was with an Edelbrock 750 carb.

Oz

Transmission swaps, diesel conversions

Off:Topic

This topic is about what mileage you get with your 440 with/without mods.

Here's an existing topic about tips/mods for increasing gas mileage:

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=536.msg536#msg536
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

thisoldhippy

Ok! So has anyone actually tried a gear vendor behind the 440 to see what the results are/ Also wondering about a modern ignition such as as msd with a box and all new modern dist.

LJ-TJ

So if you guys want the real secret to 8 to 10 miles to the gallon. Let the Wife drive. When I drive I get 6 to 8 when she drives we get an honest 8 to 10 and I like riding any way. Oh and that's in a 75 21 foot Brave. D:oH!

Lorin

Get 5.5 to 6 on mine But I live in the mountains i??

Sasquatch

Quote from: Sasquatch on June 13, 2012, 08:55 AM
1976 Executive 26'  M500 Chassis, 440-3 727  Coach weighs in at about 14k, usually tow a tow car or at least a motorcycle trailer with 2-3 bikes on it.

Mileage sits between 5.75 and 6.5mpg.  Hopefully that will change.  Just installed a Professional Products Powerinjection III fuel injection system.  Will be taking a trip this weekend to see.  So far power is MUCH improved.  Cold starts are a laugh now.  Turn the key and boom, running.

Engine was rebuilt along with the entire chassis 2 years ago (have a thread in here somewhere).  Engine mods include:
Thorely 1 3/4 long tube headers, 3" exhaust, performance muffler.
MSD 6A ignition w/Super Coil
Mild Comp Cam set up for towing
Edelbrock 440 Performer intake
Above stated mileage was with an Edelbrock 750 carb.

9/2015 update to the above:  Installed Professional Products fuel injection and advanced the cam 5 degrees.  Recent trip from Boise to the Redwoods of northern Ca.  Averaged almost 8mpg running 65 mph.  Got as high as 8.5mpg.  Power and drive ability improvement alone worth the price of the injection kit.

Next will be either a Gear Vendors kit, overdrive transmission or rear end final drive gear ratio swap to get my cruise rpms at 65mph down to 2600 or so from the 3100 it turns now.

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks for the update, Sasquatch!  A lot of people forget to do that.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DRMousseau

AWESOMENESS!!!

I might be a bit "old school", but I REALLY like the constantly monitored and adjusted technology of computer controlled electronic fuel injection. Jus wish this system didn't cost so dang much, cause I'd sure like to mess with this a bit. Getting a good "baseline" and keeping it constant, allows you try certain other tiny tweaks and actually see what difference they can really make.

Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

Sasquatch

With the Professional Products kit you can hook up a laptop and monitor it while driving.  You can also tweak everything.  But it seemed to work best in adaptive learning mode and let it tweak itself.  Starts with a bump of the key, never misses a beat, much smoother than the Edelbrock performer carb (properly jetted), engine runs so much better.  It is like driving a modern motor now.

I still need to yank the heads and do an inframe re ring job then replace the heads with the 75cc chambered Edelbrock aluminum heads.  This should get my compression up from the pathetic low 8.1:1 stock compression to a more reasonable number in the low 9's.  I will be able to still use base regular fuel and get better performance than it is at now.

ClydesdaleKevin

Sweet!  Keep up updated on the upgrades and the resulting performance!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.