Gas gauge doesn't work: '87 Chalet, John Deere Chassis

Started by MSN Member, December 22, 2008, 10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joedaddy20051

Sent: 1/7/2008

I have 1987 Chalet. Anybody have an idea of why the gas guage doesn't work? Any body know where I can get a wiring diagram of the chassis? It's a John Deere with a Ford 460.

Thanks.

Slantsixness

Sent: 1/7/2008

3 good possibilities:

1. Sending unit float is bad, but that's somewhat unlikely on an '87
2. Broken or frayed wiring in the sending unit or a bad or loose connector/ wire or ground strap to the sending unit. (yours should be a 4 pin trapexoidal connector on the Pump/sending unit, if Fuel injected... if carburated, then its just a 2pin connector)
3. Bad tank switch or solenoid (either the solenoid itself, or the switch on the dash will switch the gauge reading from one tank to another. I would suspect this if the main tank worked but not the Auxiliary tank..or vice versa)

Its usually one of these... (but don't be too surprised if its more than one of them, or something completely different even.... it could even be the dash gauge just "stuck".... a good freindly whap on the dash never hurts... )

Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...