440 Timing marks

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 10, 2008, 07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tfraz58

Sent: 4/17/2008 8:47 AM

Being a serious amateur mechanic I follow other boards too, looking for all the help and to gain as much knowledge as I can. This question turned up on another board and I figured one of you guys could answer it:

"I need and opinion on this item. I have been racking my head trying to find some type of timinng marks for our 1977 db-3000 with a 440-3 engine. I was checking the fuel pump area and noticed a rusted plate. With some engine cleaner and a wire brush it looks like I finally found the timing marks. The plate is about one inch long and has a 0 on one end and a 10 on the other. It also has 5 lines between the 0 and the 10. Are these the Degrees of timing?, if so are they in 2 degree incriments. If I count correctly the mark before the 10 should be 8 degrees and I believe that would be the correct setting. Any imput would be appreciated as I have been timing it by ear for the past 3 years."

Thanks in advance for this guy's benefit, I feel a kindred lost spirit connection with him.

Sent: 4/17/2008 5:49 PM

that sounds right to me.  all I know it was very hard to get a direct line of sight...lol Dave has a good picture in his album....-Henry

Sent: 4/17/2008 10:11 PM

Thats right, and the mark on the pulley is a groove. It will be easier to see if the groove is painted white beforehand. My favorite angle for seeing the marks is from the passenger side wheel well; safely away from the fan blades!
The vacuum advance hose should be disconnected while adjusting the timing.

Sent: 5/4/2008 1:09 AM

You might want to check at the rear of engine. On top of the bell housing you will see a hole, point a timing light in there and you will find timing marks. I don't think its marked off in degrees though. I set the timing at front using timing marks there then when I new timing was right on I checked timing at bell housing and it was right on. I used a timing light that has variable adj on gun and set it to match final timing degrees then when I checked through bell housing the two marks were right in line.
From then on no more crawling under and into wheel well area

Sent: 5/4/2008 9:40 AM

I will take a picture of the timing marks on the front of our 440-3  today.

Jay

Here are the pics, email me at zr9@shaw.ca if you need high resolution pictures.

Regards,
Jay   

Sent: 5/4/2008 4:29 PM

Further,

The top right of the timing mark (in the pictures)reads zero degrees, and counts up by 2 degree intervals.

Also, there are (3) different timing (cuts) in the harmonic balancer, however only (1) has a drilled hole that lines up with the timing mark cover-I hilighted it in yellow.

Hope this helps,

Jay

tommo

Does anyone know the timing setting for a '77 dodge 440-3.
My manuel does not say.
Thanks
Tom

DaveVA78Chieftain

Do you still have the emissions control label on the valve cover?  Should be around 7-8 degrees.  In 78 it was 8 BTDC

Dave
[move][/move]