Changing from old to new LP tanks

Started by captainpine, December 13, 2008, 06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captainpine

Sent: 10/27/2003 11:53 PM

My 72 D18 has one old propane tank. I was thinking of buying two new tanks. Will the new style tanks have the same fittings as the old? Is it neccessary to change the regulator, hose or anything else? Has anyone changed to new propane tanks? Its getting cold in East TN and I need to do inside work and check out the gas system.

Beatty1950

I  went to Lowe's Hardware and they traded my old style empty tanks for new style tanks for just the cost of a refill. New tanks plugged right into existing fittings on my 75 D19.     Dave Beatty 

denisondc

Depending how old your current tank is, the new ones may require a different connection, but most new tanks I have seen incorporate both types of connectors. If you are going to have 2 tanks in service, I would recommend a regulator that has hoses for two tanks, and a knob to easily switch between them. I bought such a replacement regulator for my 72 D22 just because the old one was original, and I thought I could faintly smell propane in the tank compartment when there was no wind. With the new regulator I have no smell of propane in there, and it is two stage, the type required for new RV models.      denison

Daved27c

The old propane tanks cannot be refilled, because they do not have the overfill protection device the new tanks have. The easiest way to tell is by the threads. The old style tanks have internal, left hand thread. The new tanks have external right hand thread.(and internal thread to fit your winnie) Some propane companies will revalve and recertify your tanks for you. The cost is not much less that buying new tanks. In order for your old tank to be recertified, The tank can not have any physical damage, or any "deep" rust.(not sure how they measure that).   Dave  (Daved27c)

shagebago3142

We replaced one of our propane tanks with a new one- they come with the upgraded valve. We are going to just update the other propane tank (since it is in better condition and twice the size of the newer ones). We were told all we need is a new valve for our old tank. ( to make it legal) We are also needing to change out our hoses- they have small leaks in them. Shagebago

Sea Hag

This is correct if you have old style 20lb. propane tanks they need to be replaced or upgradded  . Larger propane tanks fall into a different catagory and ussually have a differt valve than 20 LB. Tanks , although the hose fitting is the same (inside threads. )- I.m not sure where they draw the line on size . I found out when I went to fill a 50 lbs tank that I purchased about 5 years ago for Temporary space heaters . I thougt I woud have to upgrade it but when I went to fill it last fall he told me it was okay because  of the size I think he said 30lbs on up . I checked the Valves on my Chief and they are the same . It has two tanks I think they are 40 lbs But i'm not sure yet . they have a wider profile and are taller than 20 lbs  . much like my 50Lbs  tank. winniebago offered twin 30 or 40 lbs tanks as optional equipment , with twin 20 Lbs as standard equipment for my 76 chief . If your tank is bigger than 20lbs take it in they will let you know if they can fill it or not . try a F/S farm service they seem to be up on the regulations.--- Sea Hag

DaveVA78Chieftain

My understanding is that 40lbs and below all require the OPD valve.  Larger tanks do not.   They can refuse to fill a tank if its condition is suspect.  Rust and corrosion (tank integrity) is the primary concern.  They can also refuse to fill an OPD tank if the certification date is greater than 12 years.  The ASME permanently installed tanks (horizontally mounted) do not require the OPD valve either.   You need to keep any tank that is not exchangable in good condition.  Most ASME horizontally mounted style tanks are not protected (open to tire spray and such).   Can be a pain to keep up with.  Use a high quality paint on them to resist rust and corrosion.  I have seen many that were in poor outward condition even if they may be still usable.  Replacement costs are not cheap.     
Dave   
[move][/move]

Sea Hag

I' m definatly going to keep the two removable tanks that came with my chieftain even if I have to upgrade them . I'm Guessing they are the 40 LB Tanks because I don't think you could fit any larger tanks in the campartment , not alot of headroom left . But they are correctly secured , it looks like the original install. they look to be in good shape . I haven't completely removed one yet . I just diconeected and gave them a quick visual inspection and reconnected and secured them . there is qute abit left in them so it will last a while . thats alot of propane . a good cleaning inspection and new paint sounds like a good idea when they are finally empty.

JDxeper

Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)