Anyone use "Mr Heater"?

Started by LJ-TJ, October 08, 2013, 06:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Hey gang I just bought a Mr Heater to help heat the rig this coming weekend as it's suppose get cool at the Turkey Nationals. Anybody had any experience using one of these to heat there rig? It's suppose to have a auto o2 censer shut off on it. Hm?

DaveVA78Chieftain

I have used both the small one and large one.  Small one should heat your D21 rig fine.  I needed the larger one (27 ft).  I purchased the hose also and hook it to a 20lb Bar-B-Que tank.  1lb bottles go fast.  The only hassle I have with them is making sure they are not to close to anything to prevent heat combustion.  Use high setting to remove the chill then bring back to low.  I personally do not run  them overnight in a confined space.  Blankets at night - then knock the chill off in the AM.

Dave
PS: My old 24K BTU Coleman furnace needs replacing (burner chamber rust) which is why I use the Mr. Heater for now.
[move][/move]

Nuttcaze

I have a Red Mr Heater Big Buddy that I use with a 20lb tank. I picked the heater up at walmart for $130 I think, then I found the extension hose and filter at Lowes Home improvement for like another $30 or something. I used it all last winter here in upstate NY and will be using it this year too. My onboard propane tank is rusted really bad so I dont use the onboard furnace. Just my big buddy heater and a 12V electric blanket that has a built in timer, found it on amazon for like $25. The heater works great, I almost never use it on high, except to take the chill out of the air when its zero degrees outside. But normally only low or medium.

If you get the extension hose make sure to get the filter, my understanding of it is the higher pressure in 20lb tanks (and bigger) will force plasticizers in the hose (the chemical that makes the hose flexible) out and they will clog the heating surface, you can buy hoses that dont contain plasticizers but they are super stiff and a PIA to work with.

Mine does seem a bit odd though, I can use 1 or 2 small 1lb tanks at a time but if I want to use my 20lb tank I have to leave a small bottle (empty) screwed into the opposite side or it wont light, not sure why, so thats how I use it. Also mine never lights on the first try, usually takes a few clicks but it does always light, unless I run out of propane.

I never run my heater when I sleep, my cats dont seem to understand the whole "Open Flame" concept and will stand RIGHT next to it if Im not watching.  N:( D:oH!

what my set up looks like, not an actual pic of my heater though

One last thought, if you have one like mine that contains a built in fan that operates on "D" batteries, it will go through batteries quick so some rechargeable ones will save in the long run, or they make a power cord for the fan, just some thoughts.

pvoth1111

I don't....but I think the wife does.....:O
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

M & J

M & J