Flushing & Sanitizing new fresh Water system?

Started by The_Handier_Man1, December 12, 2008, 01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsn80

Sent: 2/9/2005 10:46 PM

What is that slime?

Could be Sulfate Reducing Bacteria, normally found with higher levels of hydrogen sulfide.  When the bacteria accumulate it forms the "slime" growth.  As the bacteria die and decay it starts to cause an odor and bad taste.  If you are using a carbon filter you can add a small amount of hydrogen peroxide instead of chlorine.  Also, Carbon filters where an anti-microbial are bonded to the carbon stay cleaner.  This link has some pretty interesting information about the effects of hydrogen sulfide.

http://ianrpubs.unl.edu/water/g1275.htm

jsn80

Slantsixness

Sent: 2/9/2005 11:06 PM

Uh,
Just exactly what I didn't want to know......

EWWWWWWW!
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

Cooneytoones

Sent: 2/9/2005 11:18 PM

Now I know why I don't like to drink anything fish mate in....
Timmy

jsn80

Sent: 2/9/2005 11:29 PM

It's not all bad, the purest form of water is not even drinkable.  It's highly reactive.......

Stripe

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Schwarzkopf9

Booboo, referring to your post about the airlines EPA regs. I currently work on 737 aircraft for an airline(I can't say which) but the way Boeing has us do our potable disinfect is very similar to the popular way of RVrs bleaching their tanks. The only real difference is we use a mixture of purogene and citric acid powder. The thought being that the acid eats the slime buildup and the purogene sanitizes. I plan on doing that on mine this spring. Oh by the way, I wouldn't drink airplane coffee or water.....

legomybago

Our DI water guy at my work says, "The only way to kill 99% of all bacteria in a water system is to use a UV light". Charcoal and other filters are just for taste. (He owns a water purification plant, so he may know)??. I haven't looked into purchasing one, or what it takes to install under the sink, but it might be a good way to go i??

I didn't see anyone else mention this idea? Or maybe I'm full of bacteria :D
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Stripe

Verilux makes a great UV light sanitizer set, one rechargeable for bed sized applications and a smaller battery powered unit that is great for phones, keyboards and setch..

As far as using something inline for rv applications, not a clue. But to be honest I really dun worry about that too much.  As long as my filter is working and I can trust my water sources, I'm good..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28