Roof Air conditioner fittings, which is high & low pressure?

Started by The_Handier_Man1, December 10, 2008, 09:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 4/26/2005 7:11 PM

I posted some pictures in the Ark album of the two fittings on my dash AC compressor.  They look the same to me, old style R-12 type fittings. 

Question:  How can I tell which is high pressure, and which is the low pressure side?  The adapters instructions say you have to remove the valve core from one of them, and I need to know which is which.

Thanks!

Kev and Patti Smith
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Winnielover4078

Sent: 4/26/2005 10:16 PM

The fittings on the hoses, are the same size for high and low pressure, The larger diamater hose is the low side the smaller diamater hose, high side. The low side hose comes off the compressor straight to the evaporator (the part inside the vehicle). The smaller diamater hose high side comes from the evaporator, through the reciever dryer, through the condensor (the part in front of the radiator, or on the roof, whichever system you have, then back to the compressor. If you still have enough freon in the system, turn it on and see which hose gets cold, and which one hot. The cold hose is the low side.