Running a Norcold fridge with propane question.

Started by Ericb760, August 09, 2020, 12:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ericb760

I have only ever run my Norcold 600 series while hooked up to shore power. What is the proper way to cool the fridge using propane? Am I right in assuming that if I put the switch into "propane" mode it will switch from shore power to onboard automatically? If that hasn't been done in several years am I likely to run into problems? I would likely do this prior to driving off, so how much time do I need to determine if it's cooling on propane? FYI, the fridge works fine on shore power.
1989 Winnie Chieftain 28'

Oz

Cooling from ambient air temp by propane usually takes a couple of hours.  Can be as quickly as an hour, if you do it frequently.

It should switch from plug in power to coach battery power automatically and vice versa.
If the fridge hasn't been used in years, yes, there can be problems.  Most common: it won't cool because the ammonia hasnt been circulated and is pooled in the reservoir and needs to be freed up by using gravity.  This is called, "burping".
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=2004.msg22100#msg22100
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Rickf1985

You have to make sure the burner lights. Do you know if it is a pilot light or spark ignition? Like Mark said some are automatic and will switch as soon as you unplug the shore power. Mine I have to manually turn on the propane or the electric. If you have been using it regularly on electric then as long as the burner lights then there should be no other issues. If it does not light you need to make sure the gas valve to the fridge is on and the tip is not plugged.

Ericb760

Quote from: Rickf1985 on August 09, 2020, 09:09 AM
You have to make sure the burner lights. Do you know if it is a pilot light or spark ignition?

I honestly don't. Due to the age (1989) I'm guessing pilot light? I suppose I'll do some Youtube research to figure out what I have. Does this make sense: I stand outside with the vent cover off and the propane and coach power on. My wife flips the switch on the fridge to "propane" and I watch for some sort of ignition? If it is a pilot light does it work along the same lines as the water heater?
1989 Winnie Chieftain 28'

Oz

Yes, it would definitely have an igniter.  When I start my Norcold on propane, I can actually hear it clicking (that's the electronic igniter shooting the spark to light the propane).  It'll continue to click for several seconds.  If it doesn't ignite, the clicking the red X will light up on the front control panel.  Sometimes, this will happen because the LP hasn't gotten all the way to the fridge yet because I haven't used it in a while and have to wait a couple minutes, then try again, I'm impatient, sometimes.

So, if you hear the clicking, your igniter should be working and the problem is in the delivery of the LP.
If you don't hear it, then it's likely in the ignition system.

Do you know the model number? That would help.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

TerryH

For the majority of Norcolds open the lower door and look on the right side. There should be a tag with the serial and model number. Google "Norcold .........(model number)" You should come up with a link to an owner's manual that will tell all.
Given your unit is 1989 you very likely do have a spark igniter.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

yellowrecve

Electronic ignition came out in the mid 1980,s and gave lots of trouble.
RV repairman and builder of custom luxury motor homes, retired, well, almost, after 48 years.