Am I missing a gasket here??

Started by ahl10492, July 12, 2020, 06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahl10492

Hey guys,

Finally got my wiring sorted out (huge thanks to everyone on the forum but especially RickF1985!!!). Slowly but surely getting ready for a trip. Now on to the doghouse..

I noticed when I drove it home ~120 miles that my feet were basically on fire. Not just your standard doghouse heat, but full on blasts of hot air from under the cover. That, coupled with the multiple comments about the mh smelling like exhaust, made me pull the cover to see what was going on. The weatherstrip isnââ,¬â,,¢t great, but doesnââ,¬â,,¢t look too bad. Itââ,¬â,,¢s the access hole for the engine that has me questioning if Iââ,¬â,,¢m missing something. Seems there should be another gasket/weatherstrip around the bare metal perimeter of the access hole? Maybe this is why the cover seems to be doing absolutely nothing?

The engine noise is another issue, but hopefully some dynamat hoodliner will get that taken care of

Rickf1985

Yes, there is a gasket that goes all the way around the base and also around the firewall area. If yours is like mine is is only held down with four screws to the floor it is going to leak hot air. I plan to add Jeep type hood latches to the front to pull it tight against the front and a few more to pull it tight to the floor and lose the bolt on tabs that are worthless.

On edit, I keep forgetting yours is a Minnie and van based. That gasket should be the same as a Chevy van and you probably won't need the extra latches.

Froggy1936

Looks just like mine, My gasket is on the cover, Nothing on the floor , 2 lever latches one on ea side for the frt  and 2 bolt down brackets at the rear There are clips that must go into place to hold the covers sides in tight , I added a lot of insulation and aluminum sheeting to inside of dog house see my projects ! Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

ahl10492

Thanks for the response guys

It looks like mine was held on by two latches (one is junk) and two floor bolts. Maybe I should throw on some of that universal weatherstripping and see if it makes a difference as far as the air rushing in?

Also frank - can you link me to that project? Just became a full member but not sure where to find it

Froggy1936

Hi, In the gallery from the home page See Froggy,s 1936
gallery page 4 Frank Not shure how you get there ?
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

ahl10492

Found it! Thatââ,¬â,,¢s what I plan on doing with the dynamat hoodliner which should take away some of the heat and noise

Iââ,¬â,,¢m wondering if I should through some universal weather strip around the opening? The large amount of air coming through tells me the seal must be bad

Rickf1985

You can probably still get the original seal.

TerryH

Failing that, there are 'universal' gaskets/seals available for various door and trunk applications that would likely work. You could always double up - one on the floor and one on the dog house. One of the many 3M spray adhesives (Spray 77, etc.) or contact cement may help. Should you go that route try the adhesive on a small portion of the seal to ensure there is no adverse reaction between the two.
As well, Frank's system would be a definite excessive noise/heat reduction benefit to you.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

And don't forget that this is essentially a Chevy van so look at the sources for van restoration also.

ahl10492

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Rick - I couldnââ,¬â,,¢t find a (reasonably priced) direct fit replacement, so Iââ,¬â,,¢ll be giving the universal a shot along with hoodliner for insulation. Iââ,¬â,,¢ll report back!

Rickf1985

Here is a link to a place that has older window gaskets and seals. There may be something of interest there but they are probably pricey. I know I had more links because I replaced the gasket on mine and it looks just like the factory Chevy part. I will keep looking for it.

https://www.vintagetrailergaskets.com/6-vintage-trailer-gaskets
Here you go, you should find what you need here.

https://www.steelerubber.com/

https://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Automotive-Weather-Weatherstrip-Soundproofing/dp/B0771T61VH

https://www.steelerubber.com/rv-home-doors

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ahl10492

Hey guys - sorry Iââ,¬â,,¢ve been AWOL the last week or so. Been hectic at work (and my daily driver finally took a dump on me)

I ended up going with the dynamat hoodliner for insulation, and a double row of adhesive weather strip around the doghouse cover just to get it done in time for a trip. Night and day difference!!! Thanks for all of the suggestions

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca