1991 Winnebago Warrior windshield come on, won't shut off

Started by bagpype, July 22, 2020, 07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bagpype

I just bought my 1991 Winnebago Warrior on the P30 chassis. When I turn it on the windshield wipers come on and will not shut off. The control switch is in the off position and oddly enough, the fuse is removed. Yet they are still going!! I'm a semi-professional  Auto mechanic and am going to get after it but was wondering if anyone had any insight before I do. Any help is appreciated!

Rickf1985

Oh Lord, Flashbacks to 1986!!!! I had a shop and one of my specialties was electrical so a lot of the other local shops would send me the ones that they couldn't figure out. I had an elderly lady pull in with an old 66 Lincoln Continental. Beautiful car, almost no miles on it and it barely fit in my shop! When she turned on the radio the passenger side window would start going up and down! Sometime the right rear would also. Well, I like a challenge but have you any idea what the wiring loom looks like in an old Lincoln?! WOW!!! It took two weeks and thankfully this lady was so sweet, she had no problems. She told me to work on it in between my other work, she did not want to impose! I was on a mission, this job was no going to beat me. MICE! But it was not crossed power wires from their chewing, it turned out to be that they chewed off the ground wires off of the radio, the power antenna and the windows. These things were all backfeeding through each other and making them all operate! The mice had done a fair amount of damage to the power wires also but thankfully nothing shorted out.

I don't know if that is going to help or not but as soon as you said possessed I just had to tell that one. Bad grounds are the bane of automotive wiring. They cause more problems that are blamed on power wires then you would ever believe. In your case though since the fuse for the wipers is out you are getting power to them from elsewhere, does this system have the multiswitch that has cruise and high beam on the same control on the column? If it does then follow the harness down from that control and see if any of the wires are chewed or abraded somewhere along the line. You could be picking up power from the light system or cruise system.

bagpype

Rick,
I appreciate the reply and the story. Unfortunately I do have experience with a 1966 Lincoln Continental as I owned one a few years ago! The mass amount of electrical equipment in that car was staggering. But it had suicide doors so I digress.

Abut the wipers, today as I was chasing the obd1 port I was moving some wires around under the dash and wouldn't ya know the wipers stopped turning once I turned her on. And the multi switch controls them now just fine! I'm assuming something was grounding somewhere under the dash. Anyways, you seem to be the most helpful person around here and I'm glad to make your acquaintance.
Thanks again!

Rickf1985

Oh I am not the only one here that knows a lot, I am just on here a lot since I am stuck home most of the time being disabled and retired and OLD! :)rotflmao
You might want to poke around down there and see if you can find out what is loose or broken or chewed. RV's just about always have mouse issues and chewed wires can lead to fires.

Oz

Glad you found the fix.
Even by accident... and best... it was free!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca