Towing a 21' Winnebago with a dually pickup truck?

Started by LJ-TJ, July 05, 2020, 09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Hey gang, Does any body have pictures of a 21' Winnebago being towed by a dually. Do you think one would fit on a car dolly? Or can anyone tell me how to do it with pictures. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Rickf1985

How far? How fast and how flat? They are not really that heavy but I doubt you have much to hook up to and what are you using for a tow bar? The biggest issue is stopping, you are going to be trying to stop 10 or 12,000 lbs. with just the truck brakes and that is NOT a good idea. Especially with a tow bar since there is no weight on the back of the truck and the load can push the rear of the truck around sideways and at that point the jackknife is on and you are in a world of hurt. I don't condone this but I will not say I haven't done it, if you have brakes in the Rv and you are only going a short distance on flat ground then have someone in the Rv that can push the brakes as you stop. That takes the towed load off of the towing vehicle and prevents a jacknife. You really need someone that is familiar with doing this type of thing though, like another farmer. :D

LJ-TJ

:)ThmbUp Thanks Rick on all counts. He has to tow it 100 miles on secondary roads that are flat. I'm trying to convince him it's a better idea to trailer it. I think he may be an older farmer than us. We'll see when he gets here. Thanks for taking the time to respond. You don't see much on towing these old girls. I think that's the biggest draw back to guys and gals buying one. The challenge of getting it home.

Rickf1985

100 miles is too far to try to tow it with a pickup truck! Far too many chances for something to go wrong. And older than us mean slower than us in reaction times. That certainly does not help. Then is the issue of how do you hook up a tow bar to a 12,000 lb. RV? Safely! Well, you say you will see WHEN he gets there so I guess he is coming one way or another. Hopefully he makes it safely.

LJ-TJ

How to hook up a tow bar to 12,000 lb Rv. Well I was looking to your infinite wisdom and enlightenment. Your Rick you can fix anything :D Yep! he's coming so I guess we'll see what we see. I'll keep you up to speed. It's nice to have someone you can cross check thoughts with. Especially when your ideas match. Thanks again.

Shawn62

Does the RV run?  Is he going to disconnect the drive shaft.  Improper towing can toast the transmission.  I towed an RV 30 miles with a tow strap once but the engine ran.  The RV had a driver to operate the brakes.  We had radio communications. We stayed under 40 MPH on secondary and tertiary roads.  We pulled over numerous times to let traffic pass. Both drivers had towing experience.    I would put some heavy weight in the bed of the truck if he is going use a tow bar. If he is dead set to tow it, I would make sure ownership is transferred to him and have copies of documents to prove it. This might help with liability problems if something goes wrong.

LJ-TJ

LJ-TJ

Well they came and got the old girl today. Here's how they ended up taking her home.

Rickf1985

Smart choice but it needs to be further up on the trailer, appears to be very little tongue weight. And tying down a 12,000 lb. RV with nylon ratchet straps?!!!!! Well, I guess it is better than trying to flat tow it. i??

Oz

Good to see you got it!
Had no problem towing a 5 car hauler with a dually from MD to PA.
It was a 5th wheel, so different stlye of towing, but absolutely no issue with the weight.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca