ignition key won't turn

Started by pmjolsness, June 26, 2020, 07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pmjolsness

I recently acquired a 1977 Executive on a Dodge frame, and I'm trying to get it running. One of the problems I'm having is I can't get the ignition key to turn. Anyone have any ideas? The previous owner didn't have any other Chrysler products, so he couldn't have given me the wrong key. Any help would be appreciated.

Oz

Can you turn the steering wheel?  If not, it's in steering lock and the key won't turn. You have to turn it to the left or right until it stops, hold it there, then try to turn the key. 
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Rickf1985

You will need a new ignition switch if it is the one in the dash or an ignition lock if it is the one on the steering column.

pmjolsness

When I was being pulling it out of the back yard I was able to steer the motorhome without the key, there doesn't seem to be a steering wheel lock. I was able to muscle the turns better than I thought it would. The ignition switch is on the steering column.

Elandan2

You probably already know this but a Dodge key goes in "upside down" compared to a similar GM key. Just a thought. I know that on my mh and old truck the key will go in either way (probably because everything is worn out !!) but will only work in the correct orientation.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Oz

Wow... 3 Dodges and I never knew that!  :-[

pmjolsness

Yeah this one the key will only go in in the "upside down" position.

pmjolsness

yeah, you might be right. Now all I got to do is get the old one out. That's a really good price too. One question, I see you have a 1977 Dodge chassis too. One thing I noticed is mine doesn't have a locking steering column, is yours the same way?

Elandan2

Yes, no steering lock and no "accessory" position. Just "off", "on", and "start". To remove the lock, you have to take the steering wheel off, remove the turn signal assembly and then push a pin into the hole at the end of the cylinder. As i recall, that is all that is required.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

pmjolsness

I found the electrical diagram for the chassis in my motorhome owners manual, and it shows pretty clearly that it does have an accessory position on the ignition. I also found an electrical diagram for a 1978 Winnebago with a Dodge chassis, and it also had an accessory position. If I found out anything different I will let you know. Thanks again for your input.

Oz

Let us know when you get it to turn and what you did to get it to work! 
;)