Upgrading Front Coil Springs 1983 p32?

Started by Eyez Open, July 16, 2020, 08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eyez Open

Hello..what a welcoming forum of information on classic/slightly used Rv's.

The RV is a 33' HR 83 vintage, i am cleaning up the front end and new springs are in order here. The stated front axle is 5000lbs, from what i have gleaned so far the factory springs were rated at 3400 lbs. So in this learning curve ive found springs rated for 4300 lbs, in my mind putting 5000lb springs on this chassis is pure overkill...and a very bumpy ride.

So i will ask has anyone put the 5000/6000 coils on a 30 ft rv? Has anyone used the below spring's?...And last but not least in do not wish to hang airbags on this rv...im not a bag hater..but pretty close does comes to mind...Any input will be appreciated.

https://www.stengelbros.net/350-6560SDM-P303500-Motorhome%C2%A0Front-Coil-Springs-4289-lb-Spring-Rating_p_100.html

Rickf1985

They are probably the ones I used on mine, They were an upgrade that Stengal recommended. They also said you would not need the airbags anymore but I put them in anyway because it is a lot easier to do when replacing the springs. I have found that while it no longer bottoms out with the new springs and the ride is definitely better I do find that putting 60-70 lbs. in the bags makes a BIG difference in the way it handles. It tracks better and takes dips in the road better and it leans far less in turns. But keep in mind that whatever you decide with the air bags do it before getting your alignment because any change in height changes the camber and caster. And toe in for that matter to a smaller effect. So if you want to run 70 lbs. in the bags tell them that before you get an alignment so they can set the pressures first. and you WILL need an alignment after the new springs.

Eyez Open

Thank you for your input, it is interesting that most of your impressions/responses revolve around stability..and it seems to center around weight shift

A question if i may..do these springs control nose dive..is the RV quite stable when going up a drive, do these springs level off the RV. Getting body roll would suggests to me 4300 lbs is not enough spring..yet at the same time putting a 6000 lb springs in that front end makes me wonder how long the that 1 ton front end would last...read bushings and control arm's

It seems that airbags are actually schock absorbers damping body roll? Meaning money would be better spent in a spendy set of Blisten's....

Rickf1985

Remember, that is 4300 lbs. per spring which gives you an 8600 lb. front end rating. That is a lot more than the vehicle is rated for I believe.  The air bags add a variable load rating in addition to th spring. They do nothing in the way of shock absorption. Shock absorbers dampen spring oscillations. So technically you need to put the pricey Bilstiens on in addition to the springs and bags. You ask if the RV will be quite stable going up a drive. That is a loaded question, Is a boat stable in the water? It depends on who you ask. I will say yes as I stand there eating a sandwich and not holding on to anything while my legs are absorbing the movements of the boat while my wife is clinging to the railing and planted in the seat swearing we are going to sink any second. Any older P30 based RV will wallow around, it is something you get used to. There are ways to make it better but it will never ride like a 500,000 dollar Prevost. Mine rides reasonably well with no air in the bags but on my last trip up from Virginia I decided to experiment and tried 40-50-70 lbs. And at 70 it rode like a dream. I was told that it would but I wanted to believe that the heavier springs would do the trick all alone. Not in my case. 6.000 lb. springs would be way to much, If you could ever get them in I think they would rip the shocks off whenever you made a turn into a drive that lifted one side. The guys at Stengal know what they are talking about. Tell them what you have and they will tell you what you need.

Eyez Open

Well im glad i asked..actually its a bit funny..I spent my formative yrs in my fathers garage, wyee worked on almost every aspect of automotive aside from suspension work...to dangerous and not cost effective..he did not like coil springs thought of them as bombs. Having not once worked on them i had no ideal springs were rated individually.. W%  I find that hilarious... and yet strange..that much spring and still not a bone jarring ride.

Then there is the boating comments, ive have spent most of my life tinkering with boats so i do understand your comments on perceptions...smiles its all about wheelbase and getting on top of that chop your experiencing..

I live moved to Oregon in 91 and found many things were different one being trucks. Loggers hated GM trucks they would ruin the GM suspension in the woods logging it was to soft. I had almost forgotten that piece of history.

We also have one of those big land yachts a 44' pusher...that is another story.

I will call Stengle and get their take on this suspension thing. Having that much shock underneath a small rv and it still is loose...Odd our big rig does have a air suspension it seems one cannot get away from that.

Again i thank you for your input.

Eyez Open

I have had some time to look into this and yes those Stengle springs are indeed recommended. I cant help but think that is a whole lot of spring for a RV front end...Then followed by air bags and Bilsteins shocks that is a lot of front end support.

Then it came to me these skinny 19.5 tires and 80 plus pounds of pressure, who would do that or make that a combo on any vehicle...it makes me think of a rumble wagon...then the grooves most hwys have with those skinny tires and all that weight..how could a clumsy RV suspension handle that combination. It makes me think all the heavy suspension enforcement is due simply the tire setup.

Am i off the beaten path here? has anyone came across a tire with 6/8 inch tread with? It seems simple to me im sure someone here has down this rabbit hole..Any input?