'78 Winnebago What covers the under dash wiring?

Started by Real1shep, June 18, 2020, 01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveVA78Chieftain

Or in other words, the original version of a tilt steering wheel.  The emergency hand brake lever is the left of that against the wall and is a bear to operate.
[move][/move]

Oz

Took me quite awhile to figure that out. I was afraid that, if I stepped on it, the whole steering column would come out!
:-[ D:oH!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Rickf1985

Ah, I wish the GM's used something like that. Tilt is nice except when you are 6'3" and the steering column is almost straight up. Tilt only comes back a little bit and then you have to run the seat way up and jam your legs under the dash. I can never get comfortable on a long trip in mine.

Elandan2

I've always considered trying to use a tilt wheel assembly with the tilt column. Then you could tilt the column away when not needed and still have the convenience of a tilt wheel. The only difference I see between the tilt wheel and tilt column is the joint above the steering box. The tilt column has a coupling that allows the angle to change.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Rickf1985

I haven't really looked at the geometry of mine but I would bet with the modern aftermarket steering columns and steering shafts from Flaming River you could probably easily build a tilt wheel, tilt column, telescopic setup. Anyone remember the Isetta 600 car? Swing away steering!

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1PRFE_enUS666US695&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=isetta+600&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiPp-b207PqAhUzhXIEHYy6D3EQsAR6BAgGEAE&biw=1920&bih=969

Elandan2

And it would be way easier to get to the wiring!!
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Froggy1936

Ha Ha Forgot about them When i was Service Manager @ Sports Autos in 1964 We had one that came is for service , The Front panel opened for a door and the steering wheel swung off to the side so you could exit Rear motorcycle engine Ring a Ding a Ding exhaust  Ha Ha   Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Rickf1985 on July 04, 2020, 09:03 AM
I haven't really looked at the geometry of mine but I would bet with the modern aftermarket steering columns and steering shafts from Flaming River you could probably easily build a tilt wheel, tilt column, telescopic setup. Anyone remember the Isetta 600 car? Swing away steering!

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1PRFE_enUS666US695&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=isetta+600&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiPp-b207PqAhUzhXIEHYy6D3EQsAR6BAgGEAE&biw=1920&bih=969

LOL!!!  My college literature teacher drove one of these things every day!  She bought it new in Germany when she was stationed there, and brought it back with her.  If I remember right, she told us she had a heck of a time registering it in Connecticut...and they finally let her register it as a motorcycle.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Rickf1985

Well, They had a Sach's two stroke cycle engine in them.

Real1shep

Yes....steering column tilt and the least of our troubles, as it works.
A whole second page with no pics....geese!

I'm fabricating something now that will be a panel split in the center under the driver's dash. I'm sorta on the clock with them and so they expect results. But.....I can only imagine what a real RV restoration shop would charge. New frontier for me....although I have a lot of experience with RV's and travel trailers in making things work again.....not with cover up esthetics.   

Kevin