'78 Winnebago What covers the under dash wiring?

Started by Real1shep, June 18, 2020, 01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Real1shep

I've been tasked by some friends to help refurbish a Winnebago. What I really need right now are some pics of the whole driver/passenger area.

I know they used that gold colored rug to cover most everything. But I'm looking at the driver's area and it's nothing but wires hanging down. I know they had the carpeting on the floor, but how were all the wires covered? HVAC duct just sitting there with no vent etc. And on the passenger side everything it exposed like the two HVAC fans and the evaporator etc.

I just need some images on the stock set up or maybe how you've changed all that yourself etc.

Many thanks in advance!

Kevin

Froggy1936

Hi, I dont know if you can access the projects area , or if you have to become a paid member ? But either way visit my project replacing 77 engine and trans w 85 unit I have the dash removed to do wiring repairs You should be able to see what you want !  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Rickf1985

You don't need to be a paid member but I look through the projects the other day when you mentioned your projects and I couldn't find anything. I will look again and link to it if I find it.

Rickf1985

Looked through all ten pages of the project blogs and I saw your roof repairs but nothing before that. Did you do the engine before or after the roof?

Real1shep

Thanks guys. Surely someone has interior Winnebago pics of this vintage RV?
Even original sales literature....something showing the driver/passenger area. Before my friends bought it, it had been used as a 'hunting' rig....so I'm guessing originality was not a concern to the PO. I've got some ideas on how to cover up stuff, but it's silly to reinvent the wheel.

Kevin

Froggy1936

The dash and wiring pics are in the post Updating 3 speed automatic W 4 speed   On page 3, Then on page 2   The engine project was quite expansive  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Real1shep

Found the pics....but.....I also found out that whomever made the engine, trimmed out all the dash parts with proprietary pieces. In this case, Dodge.....so none of Franks dash pics apply.

So I'll troll around the Dodge section and see what I can come up with.

Kevin

Oz

Kevin,

The owner manual should have dash layouts and images.  Click on this link and then on the 1978 models to download it.

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?page=page300
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Oz

Real1shep

Thanks, but really looking for pics of the dash-to-the-floor. I'm trying to see how Dodge covered things up on both the driver's side ant the passenger.

I'm sure we have proprietary pieces missing but I need to see how it all goes together.

Kevin

Oz

Do you have a chassis or coach service manual?  I think those would be very helpful.

Real1shep

We have no literature whatsoever that might have come with the unit.

Kevin

Elandan2

I am confused here. Do you have a class A (Flat front) or a class C (van front with a cabover bunk) model? The class C units (Minnie Winnie) have a stock Dodge van cab. The class A units have a cab area that was built by Winnebago. The wiring was always a rat's nest and wasn't covered below the driver's side very well. The passenger side had the heater below the dash and by your description the cover is missing. Some pictures of what you are dealing with would be of enormous help.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Real1shep

My friends are trying to get the RV back to CA and live out of it for awhile on some property in the family. Once they get it back there, I doubt it will be driven much.

Kevin

Real1shep

BELOW the dash to the floor....how they cover up the rawness of what's pictured.

LJ-TJ

I hate to tell yeah but that's pretty much what they look like. Not factory but pretty much what most of us walk into. You pretty much have to sort out what's what and tie rap the wires together and put them back up under out of site.

Oz

Please edit your vehicle info in your profile, which shows to the left of your post.  It helps a lot when looking for help.

Yep, no covers down there.  Just like wyoming... wide, open space.

DaveVA78Chieftain

My 78 Chieftain had a false panel covered with orange carpet covering the wiring rats nest on drivers side. A lot of the wiring is stock Dodge (see Dodge Class A Service Manual) and a lot is Winnebago installed.  Please note that only the 78-79 Service manual reflects the wiring for the Temperature and Fluid level Indicator Panel in the center of dash above the engine cover.
[move][/move]

Oz

I used carpet with velcro strips to cover the heater box on the passenger side, simply rolled a section of carpet into a "C" and inserted it between the front of the dog house and lower dash, and wire tied all loose wires under the driver area.

[smg id=838]

[smg id=836]

Real1shep

OK thanks....we'll just fabricate something out of the rubber horse pads. They don't like the carpeting idea and tore most of it out.

We've got a duct on the driver's side that will have to be hooked back up to a vent louver of sorts. No magic bullet that I see....we'll just be inventive and keep moving. Me coming into this cold with all the carpeting already ripped out if it five yrs ago is not helping.

Kevin

Rickf1985

That wiring doesn't look half as bad as my newer 89!!! I have to ask what the pedal is to the left of the steering column? I see it on yours and in Marks picture. If that is a parking brake it is in a really bad spot! Right where a clutch pedal would normally be!

Oz

"Adapt, improvise, and overcome. "
The vintage RV owner's motto!

Rickf1985

Ok, but unless he has your old RV then two people improvised exactly the same thing and I still don't know what it is. W% i??

Oz

LOL! Just a way to hide the "uglies" as I call those under dash areas.

yellowrecve

That extra peddle allows the steering column to be pulled back or pushed forward. If I remember right it is a friction brake that allows the column to be set at any position within its travel.
RV repairman and builder of custom luxury motor homes, retired, well, almost, after 48 years.