RV as Therapy

Started by FarPoint, June 04, 2020, 09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarPoint

Approximately 2 months ago my female German Shepherd suffered ligament damage in her right rear leg. Sheââ,¬â,,¢s 10 years old, super fit and active - so the vet wasnââ,¬â,,¢t surprised by this apparently common injury.
Given that she was limping badly with no real natural recovery possible, we opted for the surgical route. That operation is known a TPLO and is followed by 18 weeks of strictly managed recovery and very little outdoor time except for bio breaks.
The surgery went extremely well, and she was home the same evening, and putting some weight on the leg by next day. WOW!
Of course sheââ,¬â,,¢s convinced she fully repaired and ready to go, when in reality sheââ,¬â,,¢s operating on a stainless plate and screws while the surrounding bone heals.
Ever try to keep an active working breed dog quiet and still?
The Winnebago has become her new favourite transport vehicle, and distraction.
She usually travels in a secured crate in my pickup truck which has a full canopy.
I didnââ,¬â,,¢t feel good about putting her in there, and donââ,¬â,,¢t believe in dogs being in the cab of the truck unsecured, so we fashioned a bed for her under the dinette in the MoHo.
Sheââ,¬â,,¢s crate trained and gravitates to her ââ,¬Å"denââ,¬Â readily, and we get to take all of her care essentials with us.
So pretty much every evening we head out to a new location with Luna, and have dinner either in the woods or looking at the ocean.
Itââ,¬â,,¢s perfect, and we can easily let her out for her breaks.
She loves it, and the first thing she does now when I take her out of the house is to go over to the RV and stare at the door. She now ignores my truck.

So a couple more positive ways to think of this:
If this was to happen- and it was - I guess the downtime due to The Covid crisis has allowed me the time to spend on my pets rehab
And I am so grateful to the insurance company I chose for her health insurance.
They have been absolutely fantastic - never an arguement, and never any delays with payments.
In fact they pre- approved the operation extremely quickly and have been super supportive.
They always answer the phone, and ask about the dog by name.

So get pet health insurance, get it early, and I am personally recommending Trupanion.
They are number one in my book.
Of all the things I've lost
I miss my mind, the most...

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

FarPoint

1 hour after operation. Tongue retractor didnââ,¬â,,¢t function for an hour or so.

Sorry about the sideways pic. I have no idea how to fix.
Of all the things I've lost
I miss my mind, the most...