Master Cylinder Empty

Started by Frank M, June 01, 2020, 02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank M

My 1973 Winnebago Brave D20 has sat for a few years. Went to move it and the brake peddle went to the floor. I checked the master cylinder and the rear fluid compartment was dry. Front compartment was full. Can I assume this means an issue with the master itself and or the rear brakes? Thanks

Winnebago Man

Hello,

I would first crawl underneath and look at the brake hoses and fittings, and the brakes at each individual wheel for any signs of brake fluid. It is possible the fluid leaked into the booster from the rear of the master cylinder depending on your set up if the seal is bad. Ether way it sounds like a problem with the master cylinder. If it is really old, or you don't know when it was last replaced I would change it regardless. When I bought my 72' Brave a few months ago it had no brakes, the pedal went right to the floor. The fluid in the rear chamber was empty. I replaced the master cylinder and I had working brakes again. Now I am going through the rest of the brake system replacing everything. I think on the dodges the rear chamber goes to the front brakes?

Frank M

Thanks Winnebago Man. I have drums all the way around. Do you know how I can make sure I am ordering the correct master cylinder? It is 1973 Dodge M300 chassis.