Non-dually wheels up front

Started by strykersd, May 21, 2020, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strykersd

Has anyone converted their classic winnebago to run a traditional SRW type wheel up front?  It'll add about 10" of wheel spacing between the front wheels and looks like it'll clear the body of my 1971 Brave.  I tow a vehicle most trips and would like it as stable as possible at highway speeds (50-65mph).  I built a swing out tire carrier so I don't mind carrying one normal spare and one dually spare.  Any input is appreciated!

Rickf1985

That would put massive amounts of leverage on the wheel bearings! I would also drastically change the ackermann angle for the steering. You would have one tire turning a lot further than the other tire and it would be very hard to control. Now, if you want to totally redesign your front steering geometry here are the equations. Good luck. W% :D

http://what-when-how.com/automobile/the-ackermann-principle-as-applied-to-steering-automobile/

skloon

Yeah that would make a mess out of your wheel bearings just think of it as a lever prying at your bearings rather than pushing up on them-

strykersd

Oh yeah I totally blanked about the huge spacers already on the front for offsetting the dually wheels.  And I sure as hell am not gunna run a wheel spacer on something this heavy.  Looks like I'll just have to live with it. 

Froggy1936

Rick, I just looked at the Ackerman principal pages, MY BRAIN IS FRIED !  Frank   i?? i?? i??
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Rickf1985

I used to live for that stuff when I was racing! You could change the steering angles to bet better turn in on some of the short coarses. You paid for it in the straight aways but you were on the gas so hard that usually one front tire was in the air or close to it so straight wasn't that much on an issue as long as one tire was touching. This was dirt racing in case you didn't pick up on that.