Lug Nut Size 1989 P30 19.5" Wheels?

Started by Ericb760, May 09, 2020, 06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ericb760

Quote from: Rickf1985 on June 06, 2020, 08:07 AM
30 ton jack?!!!! That thing has got to weigh at least 120lbs or more. You only need a 12 ton at the most. Weight is your enemy on an RV, only carry as much as you have to have.

I may be mistaken. It was getting dark and I was in a hurry. It's about the size of a 1 liter bottle. I didn't pick it up to gauge its weight.
1989 Winnie Chieftain 28'

Rickf1985

Ok, that sounds more like a 6 ton. a 30 ton is a monster. The best jack you can buy is Triple AAA RV. You get a flat or break down you call them and let them deal with it. I suggest that while you are at home that you take that spare out of its hiding spot. You will then see why I say that. You are doing that at home, good weather, plenty of room and no cars zooming past at 70 MPH while you are manhandling a 75 lb. tire. Then you need to jack up the 12,000 lb. rv and balance it on the jack while you attempt to get the old tire off and spare tire on. And I can tell you that the drivers side front, well, all the planets have to be aligned just right and the wheels have to be turned just a hair to the right if you are going to get the bad boy in and out from behind the step. Did I mention the cars whizzing by while it RV is balancing on a little jack and you are fighting the heavy tire, and you KNOW this happened in the rain and dark don't you?

Ericb760

LOL! Touche. When my daughter was getting her drivers license I taught her how to change a tire in the driveway. The first rainy day we drove to a Walmart parking lot and she asked why, and I said "You now have a flat tire and you need to change it." She was not amused. She was dressed in a t-shirt and shorts. Needless to say it took her three times as long to change it as it did in the driveway at home, but she did it.

So, yeah, I probably should at least ID the jack points, and maybe get it off the ground once. I haven't looked underneath. Is there a place that I can spray some neon paint to ID the jack points?

EDIT: And probably like you I have to unscrew the roof ladder from the back bumper to access the spare. Which reminds me to check the size of that screw head.
1989 Winnie Chieftain 28'

Rickf1985

Mine has a button I push to release it from the bumper, not sure if it is original or not but looks like it. The ladder has been bent from when the original owner backed into something so getting it reattached to the bumper is a RPITA!  A hydraulic jack will go under the rear axle and under the front lower control arm. I would have to look in the manual to see what they say about jack points but that is what I would use from a professional mechanics point of view. The front control arm is not flat underneath so you need to look under there and pick a spot under the spring where your jack will fit and be secure.

Citation 1986