Lug Nut Size 1989 P30 19.5" Wheels?

Started by Ericb760, May 09, 2020, 06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ericb760

I'm hoping the Rick1985 will answer my call. Problem: My RV came with a lug nut wrench that doesn't fit any lugs on the rig. I don't want to get stranded over something so simple. Google is all over the map on lug sizes for the P30.
1989 Winnie Chieftain 28'

Rickf1985

Should be 15/16, it is dark, cold and windy out now but I will go out and check tomorrow to be sure.

DVan

I have an 1988 and my lug nuts require 1 1/16 wrench. Used a 3/4 breaker bar plus 3' piece of pipe over the handle to break the nuts loose as the previous person torqued them way too tight.

1988 Itasca Windcruiser 32RQ
Semi-retired Artist/Flyer

Ericb760

Quote from: DVan on May 09, 2020, 10:01 PM
I have an 1988 and my lug nuts require 1 1/16 wrench. Used a 3/4 breaker bar plus 3' piece of pipe over the handle to break the nuts loose as the previous person torqued them way too tight.

Quote from: Rickf1985 on May 09, 2020, 09:04 PM
Should be 15/16, it is dark, cold and windy out now but I will go out and check tomorrow to be sure.

This one on Amazon has both 15/16 and 1 1/16 so I think I'll go ahead and order it.   

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002KNYVU/?coliid=I3E5W6IQBRVDTL&colid=39Y0PXKAZ8XS3&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Rickf1985

Mine are 1", I just went out and checked. So you might want to stop by a shop if you don't have a 1/2" drive socket set and have them check and let you know what size they are. You did pull the chrome caps off of the lug nuts first didn't you?
One comment on that lug wrench you are looking at, It is going to take up a massive amount of storage space!!!  I use a 1/2" drive 1" socket on a couple of extensions and a 1/2" drive breaker bar. The whole thing fits in the compartment under my entrance step. The biggest piece of my rig is the breaker bar at about 18-20" long, the rest breaks down and will fit in a small bag. I have a 2 foot piece of pipe in one of my other side compartments I can slide over the handle of the breaker bar if I need more leverage but if they are put on right that will be all you ever need. You can buy the individual socket and breaker bar and extensions cheap at Harbor Freight. Here is a list of stuff I looked up real quick but you can shop around and get individual items cheaper if need be. You can always use the sockets in other places. If you decide to go with the sockets be sure to get 6 point sockets and NOT 12 point sockets.
https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/sockets-ratchets/12-in-drive-25-in-breaker-bar-60819.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/sockets-ratchets/12-in-drive-sae-chrome-deep-socket-10-pc-64229.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/sockets-ratchets/4-pc-12-in-drive-impact-socket-extension-set-67972.html

tmsnyder

If you're trying to fit the wrench on the fake chrome nut covers, those aren't the nuts.   You might have to get the wheel covers off, and then the nut covers. 

Otherwise, if you are at the actual nut, why not just measure them?

Quote from: Ericb760 on May 09, 2020, 06:18 PM
I'm hoping the Rick1985 will answer my call. Problem: My RV came with a lug nut wrench that doesn't fit any lugs on the rig. I don't want to get stranded over something so simple. Google is all over the map on lug sizes for the P30.

Ericb760

The chrome caps, if they ever existed, are long gone.

Ericb760

Quote from: Rickf1985 on May 10, 2020, 09:12 AM
Mine are 1", I just went out and checked. So you might want to stop by a shop if you don't have a 1/2" drive socket set and have them check and let you know what size they are. You did pull the chrome caps off of the lug nuts first didn't you?
One comment on that lug wrench you are looking at, It is going to take up a massive amount of storage space!!!  I use a 1/2" drive 1" socket on a couple of extensions and a 1/2" drive breaker bar. The whole thing fits in the compartment under my entrance step. The biggest piece of my rig is the breaker bar at about 18-20" long, the rest breaks down and will fit in a small bag. I have a 2 foot piece of pipe in one of my other side compartments I can slide over the handle of the breaker bar if I need more leverage but if they are put on right that will be all you ever need. You can buy the individual socket and breaker bar and extensions cheap at Harbor Freight. Here is a list of stuff I looked up real quick but you can shop around and get individual items cheaper if need be. You can always use the sockets in other places. If you decide to go with the sockets be sure to get 6 point sockets and NOT 12 point sockets.
https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/sockets-ratchets/12-in-drive-25-in-breaker-bar-60819.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/sockets-ratchets/12-in-drive-sae-chrome-deep-socket-10-pc-64229.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/sockets-ratchets/4-pc-12-in-drive-impact-socket-extension-set-67972.html

Thanks, Rick. I guess it makes more sense to have tools I can use elsewhere rather than a tool that does just one job. Plus, I never pass up a chance for a trip to the toy store!

tmsnyder

I've heard great things about the 1/2" cordless impact gun by Milwaukee also.   Something to consider.

I've had nuts on my rv that I've bounced my 250lb weight on a 3/4" drive breaker bar with 18" more of pipe on it, at least 3 feet of leverage and it wouldn't budge.  But put a 1/2 air impact on it and it came right off.   There's something good about impact for getting stuff loose.  Better than torque.

Rickf1985

What you need to do is to break the lug nuts loose at home and tighten them again to the proper torque. Even if you don't have a torque wrench you can figure it out using your weight and the length of the breaker bar. 100 lbs. on the end of a 1 foot bar is 100 ft. lbs. 100 lbs on the end of an 18" breaker bar is 150 ft lbs. and 100 lbs. on a 24" breaker bar is 200 ft. lbs.

I am guessing you probably weigh more than 100 lbs so you just average it out. to use the same formula as above, 200 lbs on the 1 foot bar is 200 ft. lbs, 200 lbs on the 18" bar is 300 ft. lbs. and 200 lbs on the 24" bar is 400 ft. lbs.

Jamo

Cool info, Rick. Thanks! Math and me never have been very good friends...
"In your guts you know he's nuts"

Ericb760

Quote from: Rickf1985 on May 10, 2020, 12:02 PM
What you need to do is to break the lug nuts loose at home and tighten them again to the proper torque. Even if you don't have a torque wrench you can figure it out using your weight and the length of the breaker bar. 100 lbs. on the end of a 1 foot bar is 100 ft. lbs. 100 lbs on the end of an 18" breaker bar is 150 ft lbs. and 100 lbs. on a 24" breaker bar is 200 ft. lbs.

I am guessing you probably weigh more than 100 lbs so you just average it out. to use the same formula as above, 200 lbs on the 1 foot bar is 200 ft. lbs, 200 lbs on the 18" bar is 300 ft. lbs. and 200 lbs on the 24" bar is 400 ft. lbs.

I bought the three items on your list at HF. Less than $50. Thanks for the info. I'm heading to the RV tomorrow to install the battery cut off and do some cleaning. Wife wants a vacation, so it looks like a road trip is in my future.

Rickf1985

When you go to loosen those lug nuts using that setup you will need to support the end of the extension out by the breaker bar so that it is as level with the lug nu as possible. We all, or we all "should" have boards to drive up on to help level the rig at camp sites. You can use these in many different configurations to rest the outer end of the extension on so you can put your full weight on the wrench. If the lugs are not excessively tight you can do it with just a hand holding the outer end. Another tip is the closer the handle is to the socket the more stable the setup will be, so the fronts you will only need the handle and socket and the rears just use the longest extension you need to just clear the tires an any support you use. And I am going to say the word jack stand many times! jack standjack standjack stand! At home always have a minimum 6 ton jack stand and preferably a 12 ton to put under the frame of the vehicle when it is in the air. When traveling it is not really practical to carry a heavy stand but use the tire and some of the boards as a support under the vehicle.

Ericb760

Quote from: Rickf1985 on May 11, 2020, 09:05 AM
When you go to loosen those lug nuts using that setup you will need to support the end of the extension out by the breaker bar so that it is as level with the lug nu as possible. We all, or we all "should" have boards to drive up on to help level the rig at camp sites. You can use these in many different configurations to rest the outer end of the extension on so you can put your full weight on the wrench. If the lugs are not excessively tight you can do it with just a hand holding the outer end. Another tip is the closer the handle is to the socket the more stable the setup will be, so the fronts you will only need the handle and socket and the rears just use the longest extension you need to just clear the tires an any support you use. And I am going to say the word jack stand many times! jack standjack standjack stand! At home always have a minimum 6 ton jack stand and preferably a 12 ton to put under the frame of the vehicle when it is in the air. When traveling it is not really practical to carry a heavy stand but use the tire and some of the boards as a support under the vehicle.

Well, I went to the RV today and installed the battery cutoff (what a PIA, which I will document in my other post). Turns out my lugs must be 1 1/16, because the 15/16 was  a bit too small. Back to Amazon, I guess...

Rickf1985

They should be one inch. Are you sure you are taking the chrome show covers off of the lug nuts?

Wait a minute, you said you bought the three items I listed from Harbor Freight? I had to go back to that post and make sure I didn't give bad info and no, I said one inch there also?

Ericb760

Quote from: Rickf1985 on May 12, 2020, 10:06 AM
They should be one inch. Are you sure you are taking the chrome show covers off of the lug nuts?

Wait a minute, you said you bought the three items I listed from Harbor Freight? I had to go back to that post and make sure I didn't give bad info and no, I said one inch there also?

The largest socket in that set is 15/16. I plan on buying a 1" and 1 1/16" just to cover all my bases.

Rickf1985

My bad, I originally looked at an impact set that did have the one inch in it but this was cheaper. The 1/2 drive never starts at 3/8" but I guess the Chinese do not know that!

tarifachris

Quote from: tmsnyder on May 10, 2020, 11:50 AM
I've heard great things about the 1/2" cordless impact gun by Milwaukee also.   Something to consider.

I've had nuts on my rv that I've bounced my 250lb weight on a 3/4" drive breaker bar with 18" more of pipe on it, at least 3 feet of leverage and it wouldn't budge.  But put a 1/2 air impact on it and it came right off.   There's something good about impact for getting stuff loose.  Better than torque.

I use my the Dewalt DCF899B 20V max XR Brushless high torque to loosen the lug nuts.

No problem to loose the lug nuts with the Dewalt on my P30 - I have as well 1" lug nuts! Up to 700 ft-lbs of max torque and 1200 ft-lbs of max breakaway torque.
For fastening the lug nuts I use a 1/2 in Craftsman torque wrench which goes from 50-250 ft/lb torque. On my P30 model I have to torque the lug nuts to 170 ft/lb...

Rickf1985

Yea but, 600.00 for the tool and battery and charger!!!!!!!!!! I can buy the Harbor Freight version for a third of that and if it dies I get a new one! So I could buy three of the Harbor Freight ones for one of the Dewalt. Granted Dewalt is a great tool but it is like Snap-On is to hand Tools and Harley Davidson is to motorcycles. You are buying a name and a name only! Even if you want to stay American you can go with Milwaukee and get the same performance for half the price. And the batteries are half as much also.

tarifachris

Quote from: Rickf1985 on May 13, 2020, 10:00 AM
Yea but, 600.00 for the tool and battery and charger!!!!!!!!!! I can buy the Harbor Freight version for a third of that and if it dies I get a new one! So I could buy three of the Harbor Freight ones for one of the Dewalt. Granted Dewalt is a great tool but it is like Snap-On is to hand Tools and Harley Davidson is to motorcycles. You are buying a name and a name only! Even if you want to stay American you can go with Milwaukee and get the same performance for half the price. And the batteries are half as much also.
I paid 1 year ago for my Dewalt 239$ new included charger and battery... Great tool!

tmsnyder

The Milwaukee is about that price too;  $200 to 250

I don't have it but it's on my wish list for traveling in the RV.

tmsnyder

While you're there, pick up a pair of dial calipers, .... for measuring stuff.......  (like lug nuts)

Quote from: Ericb760 on May 11, 2020, 08:22 PM

Well, I went to the RV today and installed the battery cutoff (what a PIA, which I will document in my other post). Turns out my lugs must be 1 1/16, because the 15/16 was  a bit too small. Back to Amazon, I guess...

Ericb760

Quote from: tmsnyder on May 14, 2020, 10:05 PM
While you're there, pick up a pair of dial calipers, .... for measuring stuff.......  (like lug nuts)

Touche....

Ericb760

My 1" Deep Socket arrived from Amazon and it is a match. I used it to break free one lug on each wheel and then re-tightened them all. I feel better having the tools available to change a tire if need be, which led me to check the spare in the aft storage. Looks brand new and was holding 90 psi. I did also find the 30 ton bottle jack in one of the basement storage bays.

One little thing at a time.

Rickf1985

30 ton jack?!!!! That thing has got to weigh at least 120lbs or more. You only need a 12 ton at the most. Weight is your enemy on an RV, only carry as much as you have to have.