1976 Itasca fuel pump replacement?

Started by jruwwe, April 24, 2020, 11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jruwwe

What fuel pump model does a 1976 Itasca C25C require? Also does anyone have any advice in replacing? I should be able to reach the bolts with extenders, but currently I do not know the size of the bolt so its hard to thread.

Thanks for the help.

John

Rickf1985

Bolts should be a 3/8" bolt which uses a 9/16 wrench or socket. Keep in mind that when you replace the pump there is a pushrod that will fall down from the block in the hole where the pump mounts. This rod has to be on top of the pump arm so it is advisable to spray the rod with brake cleaner and wipe it down and then coat it with wheel bearing grease (or whatever grease you have) and right before you are ready to put the pump up in there push the rod all the way in. The grease will hold it up there for a little bit. Another trick is the have someone bump the starter while you are pushing on that pump rod until it hits it's deepest position in the block. This will eliminate you fighting the pump spring while trying to get the bolts in.

jruwwe

Great thank you for the tips it's appreciated! Do you have a place you recommend to go to buy older parts for a 350 engine? O'Reilly's and Advance Auto only go so far. Thanks again.

Rickf1985

All of the Chevies used the same fuel pump up until they went to fuel injection. The P series motorhomes had return lines to try to eliminate vapor lock. Here is one from Rock Auto but you can use that Delco P/N to go anywhere else.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=90459&cc=1058846&jsn=2782

And if you have a G series van instead of a P30 then you will need this one without the return line. You can also use this on the P series if that does not have a return line.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=90446&cc=1047282&jsn=2849

jruwwe

Great thank you for the reply. I haven't had the time to work on it yet but I appreciate the advice. I'll let you know how it goes.