First RV

Started by Xjsport95, April 01, 2020, 01:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xjsport95

Hello, my name is Matt... Iââ,¬â,,¢m new to the RV world. Iââ,¬â,,¢m in the process of purchasing my first RV. Iââ,¬â,,¢m looking at a 1988 Winnebago Super Chief 31ââ,¬â,,¢ with the Chevy 454 and 54k on the odometer... itââ,¬â,,¢s in relatively good shape minus some updating and minor repairs. Has anyone had any experiences with these coaches? Does it seem like a good first rig?

Rickf1985

I have an 88 Chieftain and they are a good coach. You have several things to watch for. Body side delamination is a biggie. If the sides are bulging out that is a problem that has no easy fix. Water has gotten in there and swelled up the wood behind the fiberglass. The water usually leaks around the windows if they have not been removed and resealed. There is a seam that runs the entire length of the coach on both sides where the roof meets the sides. This seam is supposed to be caulked but they did a lousy job of it and it usually leaks. The water will come out in various places inside but up near the windshield and the rear corners are the main places you see it since it runs in the channels along the walls. Somewhere on the forum here I have a big write up on how I fixed mine. I chased that leak for a couple years before pulling on that caulk one day and it came out like a zipper the entire length!!! It was never adhered. Be prepared for 6 MPG, between 6-8 is about all you are going to get. These also do not handle anywhere near as good as the newer RV's, The ilder arm setup on all of them needs to be replaced with the Supersteer setup and that is kind of pricey but once done it will never have to be addressed again. The P-30 chassis with it's narrow wheelbase was always know for hunting in the ruts on the highway. The Supersteer gets rid of a lot of that but it is something you need to get used to. Narrow tires and narrow wheelbase.

beaverman

I have the exact same rig, no complaints

Oz

Welcome to the community! :)
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

khantroll

The late 80s Winnebago with the 454 is a good rig. As Rick said, the thing to worry about is rot. It will leak on the sides if not properly cared for. If you see anything that looks like it could be any kind of rot (sides that give differently in one spot then the other, areas that bulge, etc), I'd walk away. I've fought the rot monster twice now, and I will never do it again. As much as I love vintage RVs, the next RV that I buy will get a full, professional inspection and will not have rot, even if I have to get a loan to get it