The Journey Home, 2020.

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, March 23, 2020, 10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Froggy1936 on April 09, 2020, 02:08 PM
WOW,  There has to be something sacrilegious To Giving Chickens SCRAMBLED EGGS  ;)   Frank

LOL!  The chicks liked them...and they lived off the yokes until just recently, once they broke out of their shells.  It does sound weird, but not as weird as feeding them bits of chicken...lmao!  Our pet duck we used to have used to love to eat bits of chicken, but that silly duck would eat anything.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Rickf1985 on April 07, 2020, 06:19 PM
The "overseas in our factory" part is the giveaway. But hey, the Chinese small engines of late seem to be doing quite well compared to the Briggs and Kohlers. I realize they are reverse engineered Hondas but they did a good job of it. With that said that just goes to show how good they are at stealing technology.

Hey Rick...here are some pics of the engine on the tiller.  They say it is proprietary and works and runs great.  I'm not sure if you are a small engine expert (I'm certainly not, although I'm pretty good at fixing them and keeping them running), but let me know if it looks like any other brand of engine you are familiar with.

Kev

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

We bought a mower today!  They had a great sale going on at Tractor Supply, and this is the one I chose.  It is a Cub Cadet XT-1 Enduro Series, LT50", with the welded/fabricated 50 inch deck.  It has the Kohler 7000 series engine, and seems to be very well made.  We'll see!  We also bought a Cub Cadet 4 cycle string trimmer, model BC490, which seems to be pretty much commercial grade.  And a dump trailer to pull behind the tractor.  Here are some pics!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

And here are some pics of the trailer and weed whacker.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

And a couple more pictures of the mower and trailer, and the engine.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

We also bought a "pool" for the doggos...which they love!  I'm going to add a 12 volt pump and filter to it, and run it off our solar panel system during the day. 

Rickf1985

You got that right Frank!
:)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao W% W% W%

Kevin, think twice or three times before using that weedwacker!! I bought the same one a few years ago and it SUCKS! The four strokes have no power and they are heavy with a capital H and Y. The pros use all 2 strokes. That was all we had at my place. And anywhere you go all you hear are 2 strokers buzzing.

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Rickf1985 on April 09, 2020, 07:42 PM
You got that right Frank!
:)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao W% W% W%

Kevin, think twice or three times before using that weedwacker!! I bought the same one a few years ago and it SUCKS! The four strokes have no power and they are heavy with a capital H and Y. The pros use all 2 strokes. That was all we had at my place. And anywhere you go all you hear are 2 strokers buzzing.

We'll see!  It has a pretty good warranty, bought locally....so I'll let you know how it holds up.

Kev

Froggy1936

Well it looks like your check has cleared the bank !  :)clap  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Froggy1936 on April 10, 2020, 02:36 PM
Well it looks like your check has cleared the bank !  :)clap  Frank

LOL!  Yes it did, but we are still being pretty careful how much we spend.  Who knows how long it is going to be before gun shows and local festivals open back up!

Kev

DVan

Kev,

We seem to be headed exactly opposite of you - been farming and planning to head out on the road FT.
Make sure your chicken coop is raccoon proof. After several years with no issues, one got it and declared, Winner, winner, chicken dinner! I had the coop lined with half inch hardware cloth. Like mice, coons only need a crack a fifth of their body width to get in. They pulled a seam open to 2 inches and squeezed in. Took me days to find the open seam and by then theyèd cleaned me out.
Since I was planning on getting out of the farming biz anyway, I wasn't REAL upset but still POd.
1988 Itasca Windcruiser 32RQ
Semi-retired Artist/Flyer

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: DVan on April 11, 2020, 12:16 PM
Kev,

We seem to be headed exactly opposite of you - been farming and planning to head out on the road FT.
Make sure your chicken coop is raccoon proof. After several years with no issues, one got it and declared, Winner, winner, chicken dinner! I had the coop lined with half inch hardware cloth. Like mice, coons only need a crack a fifth of their body width to get in. They pulled a seam open to 2 inches and squeezed in. Took me days to find the open seam and by then theyèd cleaned me out.
Since I was planning on getting out of the farming biz anyway, I wasn't REAL upset but still POd.

Thanks!  The coop will be quite secure.  I'll have it built by the end of the month.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

I bought Patti a car today!  One owner fleet vehicle, purchased new by the Georgia Department of Health and Human Services.  We got it cheap, but it is in VERY nice condition, and well serviced!  We are the second owners!  It is a 2003 Ford Taurus LX.  Ford of course!  And made right here in Atlanta, Georgia.

Kev

Froggy1936

I see you are experiencing some very bad weather ,  How did the gardens and chicks fare ? !Frank

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Froggy1936 on April 13, 2020, 02:48 PM
I see you are experiencing some very bad weather ,  How did the gardens and chicks fare ? !Frank

The chick are fine and growing big!  They are sheltered in the garage building, so the rain didn't bother them at all.  The garden came through it just fine as well, although some of the straw mulch washed down in between the mounds, so I'll have to touch it up.  And the seeds I planted loved the rain apparently, because they mostly all seemed to germinate at once and poke out of the soil.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

The two new gardens are tilled, hoed, weed barrier cloth laid down, and straw mulched...and is being watered in as I type this so the cloth and mulch bed themselves in.

The small garden is going to be a little strawberry patch for Patti.

The large one is more veggies, like corn, radishes, green beans, etc. 

The plants in the starter pots are growing like weeds!

We also removed the cap from the truck and stowed it neatly in the "barn."

And I tied in a pool/pond filter to our solar panels, so they water will continuously run in the pool, and I angled the hose so it hits the water to keep it moving and rotating in the pool, and also high enough so it aerates the pool. 

I took a bunch of pics, but the ones of the pool and starter plants didn't come out (thanks to a drop of water on the camera lens)...but I'll take a few tomorrow and post them up.

Here are a few pics of the gardens and the topless truck!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Here are a couple more pictures of the gardens, and the chicks!  The little cluckers are growing like weeds!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

I got the strawberries planted, and Patti and I installed the fences around the big garden and the strawberry patch.  We are going to wait to put the last fence up, because the seedlings aren't big enough to transplant yet...but they are growing fast!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

And the pool pump and filter, running off of the RV's solar panel system, works great!!!  The pump and hose are held in place with magnets, with the top of the hose held with a clamp to get just the angle and height I wanted so it would move the water in a circle in the pool, and aerate it as well.  I put a piece of angle iron on top of the filter box to help hold it down, since it wants to float.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

And finally, I bought a rechargeable pool vacuum!  Fully self contained, kind of like one of those handheld vacuums, but waterproof and on a pole.  It really helped get all the dirt off the bottom of the pool that the doggos track in!

Kev

Froggy1936

What is the Deer situation there My garden in Pittsburgh , I had more trouble with snails And Deer Than anything else ! I had to put beer cans with stones in them On top of a 4 ft heavy wire fence , T stop the deer from eating my tomatoes Frank  Yea Deer in the middle of the city !

ClydesdaleKevin

I got one of the planter boxes filled with dirt today and the seeds for herbs and spices planted on the porch.  I also sprayed the plants in the gardens with Sevin to kill the bugs eating some of my leaves.  The seedlings in the starter pots are growing like crazy as well.  And then I cooled off in the "pool" with the doggos...lol!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

I got the deal of the year on an a 12 foot aluminum jon boat today, and it came with a perfectly running Evinrude 6hp two stroke outboard (with a new water pump/impeller, carburetor, piston, and rings).  The boat needs a paint job, but I met the seller out at Banks Lake this morning and we took it out in the water...no leaks!  And that little Evinrude started right up with one pull, and moves the boat well.  The boat also has a new transom board.  We are looking forward to getting out in our own boat and fishing again!  The boat fits perfectly in the back of our longbed '81 Ford F100...the bed is 9 feet long, and with the tail gate down it is out to about 10.5 feet.  So the 12 foot boat only sticks out about a foot and a half.  The boat is also very light, and Patti and I can easily lift it in and out of the truck.  SWEET!!!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

The seedlings in my stater pots are getting almost big enough to transplant already!  And the plants in the garden seems to be getting bigger every single day!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

We had an early start today and changed our driver's licenses over to Georgia!  And of course registered to vote in this state.  Then we went to our insurance agency, and they quoted us a cheaper price than Geico for when it was just the Ford F-100 and the Itasca...so with Patti's Ford Taurus added, it was even cheaper with three vehicles than Geico could do for us with only two!  So we got the insurance, and then registered all three vehicles in Georgia, with new licence plates (which are sequential numbers, which was amusing to me). 

When we got home, I put the new plates on all the vehicles, and diddled around with little projects.  I got the hose hangers installed, storage hooks installed, put tools up on the wall (and at the pool), made a mount for the Evinrude outboard to hold it upright, and organized a little in the "barn."  Also hanged a couple of thermometers and a rain gauge on the porch.

And the starter plants look like they are twice the size they were yesterday!

Kev