1988 Holiday Rambler Imperial P30 fuel pump help!

Started by KaraokeGreg, March 22, 2020, 09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KaraokeGreg

I need help confirming the location of the fuel pump, before I cut a hole in the floor or drop the tank. I can here it running but there is no gas coming out of the line before the fuel filter, so I'm assuming that is the problem. What happened is it started sputtering when I was going down the road and finally died and would not start I had it towed $550. and now it will only start if it sits for more than a week and then only runs for 5-10 minutes and dies and will not start again. I have plenty of gas in the tank, and I've tried blowing some air back through the line to maybe clear a clogged filter/screen, but no luck.Thanks in advance for any help. Greg

Rickf1985

Have you checked the fuel pressure regulator? It will be mounted somewhere in the vicinity of the tank but on the fuel line forward of the tank. If it has failed it may have shut of the flow. They usually leak but anything is possible after 32 years.

ClydesdaleKevin

We had an '89 Holiday Rambler, and if you crawl under the passenger side tag axle, you can access the top of the fuel tank without cutting a hole in the floor.

We had a similar problem (among many), and it turned out the electric fuel pump has come loose from its moorings, and was floating in the tank...so not able to pick up fuel to pump.  Another time, the short hose from the pump, inside the tank, rotted in half with the same result.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

KaraokeGreg

Thanks to you both, I will check them out, Kevin you helped me out about 6 or 7 years ago when I was in New Jersey at that time you had what looked to be the same motorhome as me, so I was hoping you would chime in, I now live in Florida. Thanks again for the replies.

KaraokeGreg

I've got another question, maybe someone can answer, should the fuel pump run continually? I'm asking because it sounds like it shuts off after about 5 seconds, or is that maybe because the pressure regulator isn't working properly? Thanks in advance

Rickf1985

When you turn the key on it will run for about 5 seconds and shut off. Once the engine starts and oil pressure comes up the pump runs all the time. This is a function of the fuel pump relay, the original relay is about impossible to find so if it had to be replaced then someone may have done what Kevin did and retrofitted a standard relay in which case it will run all the time depending on whether the oil pressure safety switch was incorporated into the circuit. The pump should also run when the starter is cranking due the the oil pressure switch being bypassed during cranking. Remember, this has a carburetor which has gas stored in the carburetor bowl so it can start on the gas in the bowl and run before needing the pump to run. You should also have the mechanical pump on the engine.

KaraokeGreg

I know it's been a long while since I posted this question but I wanted to reply with what the problem was and what the remedy was in case someone else has the same problem.
It turns out the gas line from the pump to the regulator got kinked when I put the tank back up, so while I had the tank down again I replaced the gas pump with an exact replacement of the original to eliminate any possibility that the first replacement wasn't the correct one. Thanks for all the help from everyone who replied.

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca