Can you still easily get mechanical parts for a 413? 1972 D20 Winnebago

Started by Winnebago Man, February 23, 2020, 07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winnebago Man

Hello everyone! I have been following this site for years to read things for fun and to learn. I have always wanted a classic 70s Winnebago and now I have a chance to actually get one. I found this RV a few months ago but I just got to see it inside and out for the first time yesterday. I was hoping for the 318 because ease of working on it and availability of parts. This one appears to have the 413 in it. I know you can find parts for these rigs looking under the M300 chassis online and at local parts stores. I took a look online and I have been having trouble finding listings for the 413 at all. Can you still easily get replacement parts for a 413? By replacement parts I mean: spark plugs, plug wires, gaskets, water pump, fuel pump, belts, hoses, etc. I feel like the price is fair, and besides having 1/2 an inch of dust on everything inside the RV it is in very good shape. I have not tried to start it yet, and I have not tested the appliances ether, but that would be next. I have owned a handful of older cars in the past, and I have daily driven a 70s vehicle for years now. I am mechanically inclined, but the availability of even simple parts worry's me.

I would love to hear any input about this subject, I Appreciate the help. I apologize if this is posted in the wrong section. I am very happy to finally be a part of this forum!

Thanks!
-Gavin

ClydesdaleKevin

413 parts are still readily available, but do yourself a favor and become a member so you can download the Dodge part number interchange manual for just 7 bucks.  The 413 was a GREAT engine, right down to having sodium filled exhaust valves like a Porche.  It was very well engineered and easy to work on.  It is the engine we had in our first RV, a '72 Futura we named "The Ark."  We never had a problem getting parts for it...although the parts interchange manual made it EASY to cross reference the parts we needed.  There was a lot of crossover in parts with the 440 engine, and even some with the 318.  With the manual in your arsenal, you won't have any problems getting the parts you need, from fan clutches and water pumps, to distributors, distributor caps, wires, coils, ballast resistors, points, spark plugs, fuel pumps, harmonic balancers, starters, ignition switches, headlight switches, throttle cables, shift cables, etc etc etc. 

https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=store;sa=view;id=207

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Indian72

We have a 413 in our late 72 D24. In the last year and a half we drove it just over 34000 miles thru 29 states. We are about to head out again and are hopeful to finish up this summer. One of the most challenging parts to obtain was the 5 bolt water pump, which is available with two different fan clutch pilot sizes. If the water pump on that engine has a grease fitting and 5 bolts, it is one you would want to obtain and keep in stock just incase. I recently saw one on ebay, but I think they wanted around 250 dollars for it. Rock auto no longer offers them. For "just in case" traveling, I have easily obtained a spare ignition module, fuel pump, ceramic resistor, and belts/hoses. I replaced and easily obtained (new) one cracked exhaust manifold and an alternator along with that water pump during our over the road travel. I hope this info helps. Good luck and safe travels if you happen to get that awesome winnie.

Winnebago Man

Hello everybody! Thank you for the responses. I actually bought the Winnebago just a few days ago! I got to go up and see it again (it is located 2.5 hours from my house) but it is near my favorite place to go camping, so it is great and I don't mind. I was able to see the casting number on the motor after some scraping, and it is indeed a 413. While I was up there I changed the oil and filter, inspected some things and it fired up. It sounded pretty smooth after the first few minuets. The guy I got it from is letting me keep it there for a little while until I can get it roadworthy. Thank you Kevin for putting up that link for the manual. I got it downloaded and found almost all of the parts I need are available. I knew the water pump might be tricky from the beginning.

Indian72, that is so cool! it sounds like you got a great rig there. It is a dream of mine to see parts of the USA in a sweet 70s Winnebago. Safe travels to you!

I think I will make a new post in the (project section?) so I can post some pictures of it and share what I do with the thing. Next time we go back to it we are definitely going to do some cleaning.

-Gavin

ClydesdaleKevin

You are quite welcome!  And congrats!  I really love the 413 engine!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Hemi76

I have the same thing and yes you can find all the parts you need if you have a parts number catalog I think the store on this site has one let me check

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca