Arizona, 2020!

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, February 09, 2020, 10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Winter vacation is officially over, so thus begins a new chapter!

We just finished opening weekend at the Arizona Renaissance Festival...and it was as expect...Meh.  Just like every opening weekend here.  Next weekend will probably me more of the same...and then we'll start making some real money.  We did okay, but it is pretty cold for Arizonians this time of year, and the first two weekends are the "bargain" weekends, kids free and two for one tickets.  So sales are usually pretty low.  We did okay though...slightly better than last year's opening weekend.

Tomorrow morning I have to ship out some catapults, and then get a few parts for the 1981 Ford F-100 we just acquired...like front wheel bearings and brake pads, and a valve cover gasket.  It is supposed to rain pretty bad tomorrow morning, so tomorrow I'm just going to get the parts, and materials for this week's catapult run.

I'm also going to go to Scottsdale, AZ and pick up the camper shell I found for the Ford...it will actually fit (99" long by 73" wide), and is a pretty nice one for a good price.  I'm really digging OfferUp DOT com...WAY better than Craigslist, and easier to get in contact with sellers and buyers. 

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

I just got a VERY good package deal on three service manuals:  Clymers, Haynes, and Chiltons manuals for my 1981 Ford F-100 truck.  All three manuals, delivered, for less than I could buy a Haynes manual at Autozone.  Only the Clymers is in good used condition...the other two were advertised as new condition.  I'm pretty happy getting all three for 25 bucks, delivered!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

The camper shell is acquired! And it a is Leer!  Limo tint all around, moon windows, a 4 sets of slider windows with screens on the sides, two per side.  It came off a mid '80s F-150 longbed, and the angle where it meets the cab is perfect...and the slider window mates up perfectly with the rear slider on the truck.  100 bucks!  SWEET!!!  No keys, but since it is a Leer, locksets are readily available.

It is more of a silver/gold color and doesn't match the truck...but it doesn't look horrible.  When we have the truck eventually painted (the same factory eggshell yellow tan), we'll have them paint the shell to match.  No cracks at all!

Kev

c farmer

Found it.  I will be following along.

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: c farmer on February 10, 2020, 08:03 PM
Found it.  I will be following along.

Thanks!  It can get pretty boring though...lol!

Kev

c farmer

Quote from: ClydesdaleKevin on February 10, 2020, 10:00 PM
Thanks!  It can get pretty boring though...lol!

Kev

Nah.  Love your trips.  If you ever get to PA, look me up. 

ClydesdaleKevin

The booth is all set up and all the catapults are built for the three day President's Day weekend!

The F-100 still runs rough...but surprisingly keeps on running...lol!  I haven't had time to do jack to it aside from fixing a wiring issue and putting new tires on it.

At least it is registered now, and we received our new title and registration from Florida in the mail this morning!  We were running on AZ Temp plates, and the new registration came in just in time before the temp plates expired.

Kev

LJ-TJ

:)ThmbUp  Hey Kev, been a while since you've posted any pic's of your display at a renfair and your workshop. I'm sure some newbees and some old dudes would like to see it.

ClydesdaleKevin

President's Day weekend is going well so far...one more day!

And I came across this in my research.  If Superior Driveline still makes one of these that will fit my 1981 Ford F-100 truck for a reasonable price, I'm really going to want one of these Remco driveline disconnects eventually!  Pretty cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=703&v=qhQukbD8JV4&feature=emb_logo

Kev

Shawn62

Kev,

I priced one of those disconnects last year for a GMC van.  I was quoted an estimate of $1400 to $1600.  That did not include shipping.  FYI.  I was surprised they cost that much. The quoted price included a new drive shaft.  It would be cheaper if you used your existing driveshaft but you need a local shop to modify it.

Shawn

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Shawn62 on February 17, 2020, 12:17 PM
Kev,

I priced one of those disconnects last year for a GMC van.  I was quoted an estimate of $1400 to $1600.  That did not include shipping.  FYI.  I was surprised they cost that much. The quoted price included a new drive shaft.  It would be cheaper if you used your existing driveshaft but you need a local shop to modify it.

Shawn

Thanks!  I was planning on using a local shop to just modify my driveshaft if I go this route, since Superior Driveline listed a local shop that can do the work...but I'm waiting to hear back from Superior Driveline.  It will all depend on the price.  I don't mind disconnecting the driveshaft manually and hanging it out of the way...but it sure would be nice not to have to crawl under the truck on my back and get dirty before and after every trip.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

It rained ALL DAY here at the Arizona Renaissance Festival...so the crowd...and the sales...were pretty sparse.  Thankfully the weather is supposed to be beautiful and cool tomorrow!

And then we have the dreaded Student Days on Tuesday and Thursday.  Yuck.  LOL!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

We survived Student Days, 2020 at the Arizona Renaissance Festival!

Now, one more day of frantic catapult building before Pirate Weekend!  This is the weekend we start making good money here in AZ. 

Next week I have to play catch up on a LOT of projects, including replacing the front wheel bearings and brake pads on our Ford F-100, the valve cover gasket, and then ordering the correct rebuilt carburetor for it (if we do as well as we usually do this coming weekend...otherwise the carburetor can wait until after next weekend).

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

So today I finally got around to replacing the front wheel bearings, races, and seals on the front of the Ford F-100.  Easy peasy, and it doesn't wander on the road anymore.

And exciting news!!!

We sold Siege The Day!!!  For quite a bit...lol!  It will pay off our property and small amount of credit cards, and still leave us around 15K to start up our new business venture:  Selling our catapults and new designs like rubber band guns, at gun shows in Georgia and the surrounding states!  This will take a huge load off of us.  We'll more than likely take a long vacation up north every summer though, to escape the Georgia heat and humidity.

We are stoked!!!

Kev

Froggy1936

Congratulations  :)clap  Do you have to teach The Buyer how to make the product ? Slowing down is a great idea ! Frank & Louie
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Froggy1936 on March 11, 2020, 09:43 PM
Congratulations  :)clap  Do you have to teach The Buyer how to make the product ? Slowing down is a great idea ! Frank & Louie

Our buyer will be working with us in the workshop, starting tomorrow until the end of the show, to learn how to make everything.  It will be a three week crash course...lol!

Kev

Rickf1985

How can you sell the business but then start a new business making the same catapults? Isn't that kind of a slap in the face to the person you sold the business to? For a LOT of money.
Probably none of my business really but you put it out there so I figured I would ask.

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Rickf1985 on March 12, 2020, 08:43 PM
How can you sell the business but then start a new business making the same catapults? Isn't that kind of a slap in the face to the person you sold the business to? For a LOT of money.
Probably none of my business really but you put it out there so I figured I would ask.

LOL!  That was a part of our agreement:  They get all Renaissance Festivals, Medieval Faires, and Cons (like Dragon Con and Comicon)...and we'll be sticking to gun shows and local street fairs and events.  We won't be doing any more internet orders, so then get that as well.  That way there isn't any crossover.  They agreed to it and are quite happy!  They also get the website and the rights to the name, Siege The Day.

Plus, I'm pretty much only going to be selling the catapistols and handheld ballistae at gun shows...and then coming up with some other designs, like rubber band guns and rubber band gattlin guns...things that will sell at gun shows.

The cool thing is, there seems to be a gun show somewhere in Georgia just about every single weekend!  So we won't have to drive nearly as far from home.

http://www.gunshows-usa.com/georgia/

And gun shows are cheap to do!  Usually around 100-200 bucks for a table that they provide.[size=78%]  [/size]

Kev

Rickf1985

Think about this, You.................. at a gun show......................... . do you REALLY think your profits will outwiegh your your purchases? W%

beaverman

Quote from: Rickf1985 on March 13, 2020, 01:00 PM
Think about this, You.................. at a gun show......................... . do you REALLY think your profits will outwiegh your your purchases? W%
Rick, that's my problem, my wife has put me on gun restriction and says I'm not allowed to go to gun shows anymore! $@!#@! I just hope when I die that she doesn't sell the guns for what I told her I paid for them! :)rotflmao

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Rickf1985 on March 13, 2020, 01:00 PM

LOL!!!  That is why Patti holds the purse strings. 

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: beaverman on March 13, 2020, 01:46 PM
Rick, that's my problem, my wife has put me on gun restriction and says I'm not allowed to go to gun shows anymore! $@!#@! I just hope when I die that she doesn't sell the guns for what I told her I paid for them! :)rotflmao

LOL!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

So God is good!  The Governor of Arizona just announced that Arizona is going to be following the CDC guidelines, and has shut down all events of over 50 people.  Which means the Arizona Renaissance Festival is officially CLOSED!  Two weeks early!

Normally this would have been very hard on us...but since we sold Siege The Day, we'll be fine.  More than fine!  It means we get to go home 2 weeks sooner than we would have!!! 

We will still be here for two more weeks, teaching the new owners how to make the catapults...and then it is back HOME to Fitzgerald, Georgia!!!

Kev

Rickf1985

Good for you, for him maybe not so good if this drags on!! To buy a business and immediately not be able to get it going could really hurt! Plus all the shows where you plan to sell your stuff in the future are shut down also. Hopefully this all blows over and all of us older folks survive. The way it is spreading I look at it this way, it is not if you will get it it is when and how bad.

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Rickf1985 on March 16, 2020, 08:28 AM
Good for you, for him maybe not so good if this drags on!! To buy a business and immediately not be able to get it going could really hurt! Plus all the shows where you plan to sell your stuff in the future are shut down also. Hopefully this all blows over and all of us older folks survive. The way it is spreading I look at it this way, it is not if you will get it it is when and how bad.

I think the mainstream media is VERY irresponsibly hyping this up.  I don't think this is going to be any worse that H1N1, which is still a thing.

Kev