A PSA about Winnebago Control Panels (HW Heater, Water Pump, Tank Levels, etc.)

Started by Ericb760, January 18, 2020, 03:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ericb760

This one had me stumped. The water pump switch located above the stove started to fail. It worked about half the time. I bought a new one and unscrewed the panel after turning the house batteries off. I had been behind the panel recently to replace the battery in the 1980's style clock. This time was no different. I unscrewed the panel and replaced the switch. No big deal. After replacing the panel, everything on it was dead. I tried walking the cat backwards all the way to the fuses located in the engine compartment. No go. They were all good. I ended up tearing the console over the stove apart looking for what I thought was a short. After a bottle of wine and a few curse words I discovered a fuse not indicated in the owners manual. It's located under the shroud above the cook top in a push-in connector. It is 15A, if anyone is interested. It was blown, but it is so hard to get to, and isn't mentioned in the owners manual. It was an old style glass fuse and I replaced it with a new 15A fuse, thereby bypassing the original. Hooray! I'm back in business. Hot water and a way to flush my poop. It's the small victories that count in the long run...
1989 Winnie Chieftain 28'

Rickf1985

Ericb760

Of all the things I have encountered with this RV, this one really pissed me off. Would it have been that difficult to add something referring to this fuse in the owners manual? Something like "If your control panel loses all power you should check the fuse located under the hood located above the cooktop".

I'm just glad for this website.
1989 Winnie Chieftain 28'

Rickf1985

Would it have been any harder to hide that fuse?! You would think they could at least put it out front like everything else.

JohnM

I moved that fuse to underneath when I removed the shroud and re-mounted the control panel up higher, so I could actually see the stove.

Photos if the board software doesn't choke.

Photos in order of description - I don't know what order they will upload:
Temporary install after removing the rear-part (vent). Later-on, I remounted that fuse-holder underneath.

Removing the front panel, and re-locating the fuse holder.

After relocation, with the fuse-holder poking out the bottom.

Note: Later-on, the 120vAC wire coming out of the wall (original Winnebago craftsmanship *cough* *cough*) was pulled back inside, and run along the inside of the wall, up to a proper box I installed with a GFCI outlet.