92 Sunflyer dash switch for batteries

Started by skloon, May 18, 2020, 09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skloon

Last fall I pulled the switch that selects the coach batteries on or off as I suspected it was kaput- now I can't find the switch - any body with a part #

Rickf1985

skloon

Thanks I had that but can't get it locally or shipped to Canada- one place will but want $108 for the switch and $75 for shipping and customs crap- their words not mine I was hoping to find the generic part #

Rickf1985

Unless you want the original looking switch you just need a generic version of that switch. I always get them mixed up but I think what you need is a DPDT momentary switch. Some of the more electronic guys will know better. He needs power on the center terminal to go out to one side or the other momentarily.

Just to verify, this IS for the main battery shut off switch correct?

And to be absolutely sure my wiring assumption is right send a PM to Dave, He knows a LOT about these latching relays and how they work.
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=321

skloon

Yes it allows you to turn off the coach batteries- I have emailed the Lichtsinn but have not heard back I will message the other person
thanks

skloon

Boy do I feel stupid, drove out with the new switch and discovered that the old switch was still there- but it didn't solve the problem, when I press the switch I hear the relay click but it doesn't latch- it takes a bit to get it to do it- and I did replace that relay with this one- but I wonder if it was the wrong relay https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B072N8NYN2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rickf1985

That is the right relay and man! I thought they were expensive when I did mine!! Are the coach batteries fully charged? If not it is not going to switch over. You will need to use the Aux switch and play a little game trying to get the stars aligned right to get power to the coach batteries to get enough power to them to get it switched. Yes, it is a stupid arrangement. The easier way to accomplish that is to run jumper cables to the house batteries.

skloon

okay so this is to turn on the batteries so all the goodies in the back run- i do find that after I drive a few km it will turn on okay- I assumed it was the engine heating up the relay and that price is in Canuckistan Dollars too

Rickf1985

The coach batteries have to have enough voltage in them to switch that relay. It is possible that the batteries are just on the edge of having enough power, You need to check the voltage on those batteries and see what you are working with. The fact that it does eventually switch tells me it is wired correctly and it is just a voltage issue. Especially since it is a new unit. You can hold the AUX switch on when the engine is running and in some cases it will supply power to the coach batteries and that is enough to switch them over and then you can switch the aux/cat switch to charge the batteries from the alternator. In some cases when the batteries are switched off that function is also turned off as the batteries are completely isolated. In that case you will need to externally charge them. I never turn that switch off, that way my charger is always hooked up and all I need to do is plug the RV in to charge the batteries. I have a later Boondocker charging setup though.

skloon

Okay that sounds good- I got a boondocker charger too as my old one was loud and caused one of the dogs to howl

Rickf1985

:)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao
The originals made batteries howl also.

skloon

yeah I have the opinion it boiled mine dry 3 years and they were toast even bringing them home and putting on a trickle charger over winter- say is your unit really accessable right now ? as I need the rough dimensions of the skylight in the shower as mine is cracked- I am going to put the inside one on the outside and then some plexiglas on the inside

Rickf1985

I am just leaving for the range but I can check when I get home. I don't think they are interchangeable. The outer one has a flange and channels in it and is probably a different material to hold up to the sunlight. I will get some pics and measurements this evening or tomorrow for you.

skloon

Well the stupid thing wouldn't switch batteries but worked on shore power- is there any issues with bypassing this thing  ? I was thinking of just putting a manual switch in the battery compartment to achieve the same end result without continually trying to get the relay to latch

Rickf1985

I have asked this several times, Are the coach batteries fully charged? You can put a manual marine switch in there but getting what is already there working would be the best solution.

skloon

Coach and engine batteries fully charged- the relay will come on when I hold the switch down- but then shut off- on a side note what genius decided that all the wires should be purple and green  ?

Rickf1985

If it comes on when you hold the switch then shuts off when you release then you are using the aux battery switch and not the main battery shut off switch. You are hearing the relay for the aux battery switch which looks like a starter relay under the hood. It is not possible for a latching relay to work that way. Where on the dash is this switch located?

Rickf1985

It is not possible for a latching relay to flop back once it is switched unless power is applied in the opposite direction. Are you sure your switch is hooked up correctly? The switch should be a momentary switch to both right and left and there should be no voltage flowing from the center position. I don't have the actual diagram in front of me but I had it somewhere when I went through this a few years ago.

Rickf1985

The purple wires are usually numbered on each end, the numbers will match end for end.

skloon

Yay I traced the wires back on my lunch hour and got it working- one was reversed - either by me or they guy I paid last year to solve this and it works tickety boo now- now I just have to fix a roof leak and reassemble the generator and fix a heater hose leak and .......THANKS

Ericb760

1989 Winnie Chieftain 28'

Rickf1985

Quote from: skloon on June 11, 2020, 07:47 PM
Yay I traced the wires back on my lunch hour and got it working- one was reversed - either by me or they guy I paid last year to solve this and it works tickety boo now- now I just have to fix a roof leak and reassemble the generator and fix a heater hose leak and .......THANKS
It is always the simple things that are the hardest to find.