Question about fuel tanks and cut wire

Started by 73WinnieIndian, December 14, 2019, 02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73WinnieIndian

Does the 73 Winnebago, 440 dodge engine have electric fuel pumps in the gas tanks?
My Dad said he can't see up in there. Any wiring or anything.
There is also what looks to be a fuel cut off switch with a wire cut off on

73WinnieIndian

So at this point my Dad tells me to sell the motorhome.  We are going on a road trip in the suv, then I am hoping to have a trailer to go camping with to carry the gear. No Winnebago this trip and I'm not happy about it at all, but just going to rent something to take the stuff out there.  Then resume getting this thing fixed when we get back.

Rickf1985

I don't like getting caught up in family issues but I also don't like to see a domineering father ruin someones dream. I don't know the situation here but if the coach is not at his house and you do not live with him and he is not financing it then maybe it is time for him to stop working on it and giving advice?
Sounds top me like once he figured out that he, personally, could not fix it then he figures you don't need it. JMHO.

tmsnyder

Working on these with a hard deadline is stressful.  Maybe you're better off leaving it until you can work on it later.  Baby steps.  If the body is good and interior is ok, everything mechanical / electrical can be fixed, even if the fix is ripping it out and putting in an aftermarket system.

HandyDan

My Holiday Rambler had a similar fuel shut off switch because I had the factory installed dual fuel option, where you could run on gasoline or propane.  Whenever it was on propane the gasoline would shut off.  However,  there had to be positive electrical power to the shutoff valve to open it.  If the wire was cut the gasoline would be shut off.  Probably not your case. 
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

DaveVA78Chieftain

1.  No, the stock 1973 Dodge did not have in tank fuel pumps.  Could someone have added a in line electric fuel pump?  Sure, hard to say without looking at your rig.
2.  That switch  does appear to be installed in the oil pressure monitor line.  The large can on the left is the sender unit for the stock dash mounted gauge.  A PO may have added that other pressure switch in support of a add-on electric fuel pump or it could be a sender for a add-on aftermarket oil pressure gauge.
3. The original Carter Thermoquad had a gas filter installed at the fuel inlet pipe connection.  Might be plugged up from debri in the gas tank.
4.  Cracked rubber fuel lines would cause the mechanical pump to suck air rather than gas.
[move][/move]

73WinnieIndian

I'm with you Rick. You nailed the situation exactly. He doesn't want me to spend money on a mechanic and he never wanted us to buy it to begin with. He just said he would come over to help us again, but I'm over it. Free help isn't always good help. He ignored me and tapped into the dirty tanks and clogged up all the fuel filters. Love my Dad and I appreciate that he is trying to help, but it is very controlled help and he's not listening and that is not helpful. Sorry for the lag. First I was upset, then we took off on vacation. We ended up buying a little cargo trailer just for the camping trip and it is actually pretty cool.  Yet, I want my RV running.  Even my Aunt started dictating to me what to do when we went to her house xmas eve.    The control in my family is terrible. Gratefully, I do my own things and I have my own house, bought my own coach and it is stored here. So it isn't their business really.   

They are aggressive communicators. I'm over it. I will find a way to get my Winnie running.

73WinnieIndian

Dave, I think you nailed it.  Even though we "discussed" this. Meaning I told my Dad and husband, my Dad insisted it was fine to use the old line.  Now I'm going by memory, but Johnny (my husband) said after that something was stopping the suction. I have to ask Johnny when he is home. We got home from one road trip by car and then took off camping in the new cargo trailer, which is insulated and was actually really warm. My Granddaughters did their first camping trip and had a blast. We got this little trailer super cheap and it fits in our yard with the coach.

I will get this coach running. My Dad said their are wires running everywhere and none of it makes sense.  Which he can't explain to me.  My husband is frustrated with the whole project.  Nothing motivates a husband like a wife who keeps looking at him. LOL   He knows I want it done, but I might just find a mechanic and get the party started. My Dad said it will cost me a fortune. Honestly, I found a few older retired guys who said they would come take a look at it and give an opinion.  So that is looking like a good option right now and then see what they say and how much.

I always appreciate everyone here and the abundance of info. available here.

I'm determined. ps My Dad has never liked me. He loves me, but he doesn't get me. He wants me to drive a cute little car. I always wanted a hot rod or a suv. He is confused by me, but that is not my fault. I'll just let him be his stubborn self.   I'll get it running and drive by and honk at him in the driveway just for fun.

LJ-TJ

For give me if I missed someting here but Does it run? :(  Looking at the blue wire my guess would be a previous owner added an after market electric oil pressure gauge. As like Dave said the Top Hat is the original oil pressuer sending unite and it looks like someone taped into the oil pressure line. Where are we at? Does the rig turn over? Does it start, run and then stop? A gas engine needs two things to run. Spark and fuel. If you got spark and no fuel it won't run. If you got fuel and no spark it wont run. Once you estabilish one of those two things you should pretty much be on your way to figuring things out. It's just process of elemination after that. As far as Dad! With all due respect. "Those who say it can't be done shouldn't interupt the people who are doing it. Don't let anybody piss on your dream. It's YOUR dream. :)ThmbUp

Rickf1985

OK, Now that we have that all established. :D  You sound exactly like my daughter, it is called "Independent". Fortunately I am not like your dad! I have been sick as a dog (where did that saying come from anyway?) all week and I have a terrible sinus headache so I am not going back through all the posts. I seem to remember that it did start and run at least for a little bit so we know it runs. That is all I need to know. I can pretty much walk you through a procedure to get it going without a whole lot more drama but it is best done over the phone so that there is not a lot of back and forth over a forum. If you want to PM me a phone number with a good time to call I can call you and talk to you about it. Might be good to make it a time when your husband is there if he is the one doing the work. But keep in mind I am in NJ so I am 3 hours ahead of you in time. The ignition wiring I think Dave pretty much got you going on that so the main issue now is fuel. This is not hard at all. We can do this :)ThmbUp

LJ-TJ

73WinnieIndian

Rick, I so appreciate that. I have been sick too. Gratefully it didn't hit me til we were on our way home. As soon as my head feels better, I will get with you. I'll message you and you let me know when you feel better too.  I am independent and you would think a parent would appreciate that. I know it makes me feel good that my step kids are able to do for themselves and only ask for guidance here and there now. That's the goal, to raise kids that can fend for themselves. Yes, it was running from a gas can, but it wasn't working once switched to the gas tanks I believe. I haven't talked with Johnny yet, I will ask him before he goes to work. 

LJ-TJ

When you ran it off the gas can you must have conected it to the mechanicale fuel pump. Which means the manical fuel pump works. How many gas tanks do you have? One or two? If you have two. Follow the fuel line starting at the fuel pump back to were the line Tee's off. One line to one tank and one line to the second tank. It will either be a machenical switch or it will be a electric switch. Electrical switch will have a wire running off it. Lets see how that goes first.  Hm?

73WinnieIndian

Thanks LJ TJ   I will ask Johnny tomorrow when he is home.
Rick, I tried to send you a message, but your box is full.

Rickf1985

73WinnieIndian

Sorry for the lag.  I got sick.  Just now coming around. Whatever that was knocked my lungs hard.

Rickf1985

Yep, I had the same thing and then my wife had it. Seems like the whole country is getting it this year. Sent you an e-mail. Will call later on.

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: 73WinnieIndian on January 29, 2020, 02:21 AM
Sorry for the lag.  I got sick.  Just now coming around. Whatever that was knocked my lungs hard.

My wife and I were down for the count with that for about a week a couple of weeks ago.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.