Magnetek 6300 series converter is dying.

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, December 03, 2019, 09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Our converter started making crazy noises, and since it already puts out too many volts (13.7-13.9), we are going to replace it.

I contacted Randy at Best Converters to await his reply and feedback before ordering, but this is the one I'm pretty sure we are going to get.  Boondocker wall mount series, direct replacement for a Magnetek 6300 series. 

http://www.bestconverter.com/Boondocker-4-Stage-Power-Center-75-Amp-BD-1275PC_p_763.html

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Rickf1985

75 amp is pretty hefty. I will venture a guess that you are going to have to do some rewiring to make that work and be safe considering the original was probably half of that at most.

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Rickf1985 on December 04, 2019, 12:56 PM
75 amp is pretty hefty. I will venture a guess that you are going to have to do some rewiring to make that work and be safe considering the original was probably half of that at most.

I talked to Randy today, and he suggested that the 60 amp version would be more than adequate...and will draw a maximum of 900 watts from the Honda generator.  Not because wire gauge would be an issue, but because he feels that 75 amps would be overkill for a 2 coach battery system.  He knows what he's talking about when it comes to converters, so I followed his advice and ordered the 60 amp version below.  (The original in this thing is 45 amps).

Since I just had a few more internet orders for Christmas that I have to mail out tomorrow, it will come out of my PayPal balance...SWEET!

I ordered it today, chose 2 day FedEx shipping, and should have it soon.

http://www.bestconverter.com/Boondocker-4-Stage-Power-Center-60-Amp-BD-1260PC_p_552.html

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Rickf1985

Now, I don't know anything about how your wiring goes but on my Winnebago the converter went through a breaker under the hood and then on to the batteries and another breaker and back to the control center. Well, the upgraded 45 amp Boondocker I put in was blowing that breaker on the battery side in less than a minute so I asked Randy what to do and he said to bypass the breaker since the Boondocker is already fused at the unit. So if you hook it up and start popping breakers or fuses that is why. And with 60 amps I would look into upgrading the charging wire to the batteries if nothing else.

Ericb760

Can someone school me on converter amperage and EILIF (Explain It Like I'm Five)? Am I right in assuming that the original converter in my 89 Chieftain is 30 amp? If so, what is the benefit of increasing to 45 amp? My converter is working properly but, it being original, I'm concerned that it will eventually cook my batteries, which I have read can happen. I've been pricing new 30 amp converters, which I see are pretty cheap. Now I'm confused whether I should upgrade to 45 amps.
1989 Winnie Chieftain 28'

Elandan2

I think you are confusing the 120 volt service with the 12 volt service. The 120 volt input into your coach is 30 amp. That is the maximum amount of power the entire coach is designed to receive from the campground post to supply your 120 volt appliances, plugs and power the converter. The converter in your rig is likely a 45 amp output. That is 45 amps at 12 volts to supply all the lights, water pump, etc., plus battery charging.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Ericb760 on December 04, 2019, 10:47 PM
Can someone school me on converter amperage and EILIF (Explain It Like I'm Five)? Am I right in assuming that the original converter in my 89 Chieftain is 30 amp? If so, what is the benefit of increasing to 45 amp? My converter is working properly but, it being original, I'm concerned that it will eventually cook my batteries, which I have read can happen. I've been pricing new 30 amp converters, which I see are pretty cheap. Now I'm confused whether I should upgrade to 45 amps.

30 amps is more than adequate unless you do a lot of boondocking and want to charge your batteries faster.  The more amps your converter puts out, the faster it will charge your battery bank so you can turn off your generator and run off the batteries again (or if you have some cloudy days running on solar, like we do...and need to run the genny for a while...the higher the amp output on the converter, the faster it will charge your batteries, and the less time you'll have to run the generator).  That said, when you fast charge batteries, make sure you check the water often, and installing a battery watering system is a good idea.

If you don't do a lot of boondocking and are mostly plugged into shore power, than 30 amps is fine.  But check its voltage output.  3 to 4 stage charges are best for battery life...and a lot of the old converters, like ours, just dump out a steady 13.9 volts or so...which is way to much and will eventually boil out your batteries, especially if you don't check the water often.

Kev

Rickf1985

And also, the 45 amp rating is just for the highest output which is usually only on for a very short time, then it drops down to one of the lower stages. This is something you need to talk to Randy at Best converters about since if you are running AGM batteries they want to be charged at a higher rate for longer than a lead acid battery.

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Rickf1985 on December 05, 2019, 10:23 AM
And also, the 45 amp rating is just for the highest output which is usually only on for a very short time, then it drops down to one of the lower stages. This is something you need to talk to Randy at Best converters about since if you are running AGM batteries they want to be charged at a higher rate for longer than a lead acid battery.

Yep.  The Boondocker series will fast charge at 14.7 volts until the batteries reach around 90% full, then drop down to 13.6 until 100% full...and then drop down to 13.2 as a maintenance/trickle charge.

With our two Trojan T-105 flooded batteries, it will work perfectly for us.

Kev