73 Winnebago, 440 Engine, new electronic ignition wiring help needed

Started by 73WinnieIndian, December 03, 2019, 06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73WinnieIndian

Okay, re-reading everything.   Rick you explained it good. Dave the diagram is awesome too.

Going to go take a look at how it is all set up right now.

73WinnieIndian

Okay, so there are two wires here I circled in red. Red wire and yellow wire. These were cut and Johnny doesnââ,¬â,,¢t know what the go to.

73WinnieIndian

Next question is what wires go on these two tabs.

I have to run to the auto parts store and will read as soon as I get back.

Elandan2

Those two wires are the field wires for the alternator. They hook up to the two tabs in your second picture. They can be hooked up either way.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

73WinnieIndian

Omg Dave, love you guys!

Also pulled up another post you had that had a lot of helpful info. From you and Rick as well.  Fingers crossed. 

BamBam

Quote from: Rickf1985 on December 06, 2019, 09:24 PM
It is the ends that are of concern and they look ok. If the end wears down where it rides on the cam then both the rod and the cam are going to be bad.

This is what he's referring to, as well as what I was referring to in my post! Your pumps got nothing to do with it!
https://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar-forum/threads/changed-my-fuel-pump.41825/#post-628616

73WinnieIndian

Thanks BamBam. I think the push rod is okay. Johnny just wasn't sure about the wear on the side. It seems fine as long as the ends go.  Just that one little wear spot on each side.

He just cleaned the carb. since it was sitting so long. 

He got hungry, so I'm cooking so that he's happy and not getting grumpy.  I'll report back if we get it started today.

73WinnieIndian

Sorry, that made for a bad read. The ends on the rod seem fine.

73WinnieIndian

It started. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee    It's like Christmas for me.

Will double check everything tomorrow. We ran out of light and he's hungry.

Now I have to figure out how the gas tank is. Get that pulled if it is nasty and cleaned.

73WinnieIndian

:D :)ThmbUp :) ;) :)clap    Progress! Thanks you all for your help. I so appreciate it.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Far as I know, the yellow wire was the original coil "-" lead which is no longer used with the MSD distributor.

Mopar MH Charging system info

You need to purchase the 69-75 Service Manual Set from the CW site store which also includes the 73 Chassis wiring diagrams you need to work through this.

Dave
[move][/move]

73WinnieIndian

I'm pretty sure I bought that years ago Dave. I printed it and put it in a binder. If not, I will go buy that for sure. Yet I remember seeing it. This project just sat too long.

Johnny was working too many hours and it just kept getting pushed out. Til he saw me tinkering with stuff and now he is back in the game.

Unfortunately it has been dumping rain all day today. It just stopped and the sun is peaking out so I'm praying we can get one more thing done today. Like the alternator and maybe some new hoses.

73WinnieIndian

DaveVA78Chieftain

You want the Dodges MH Chassis manual set I linked to above.  It was produced by Dodge, not Winnebago.
[move][/move]

73WinnieIndian

Okay, Thanks Dave. I see they are different. I appreciate you pointing that out.

If I do the life membership is that in the download area?
My Dad is coming over tomorrow, Johnny is off and they are going to work on it. Yay!

73WinnieIndian

Well, we got it running. Then my Dad hooked up the line to the old gas tanks even though we asked him not to.  We were running it from a gas can and it was doing great. Wanted to check the gas tanks before adding new gas to them. He said it is fine because it has a filter. So then it would sputter out after they started the RV. Dad basically tells me to get rid of it and buy something new. So then they stopped working on it.  Looks like I'm tent camping for New Years.  Not happy about it and ready to get this fixed and leave them at home. 

LJ-TJ

:)clap :)clap Yep! That would be my game plan. If they don't like it let them stay in the tent. Cobble up another source of gas tank and go without them. Trust me there's always someone out there willing to shoot on your dream.