Winter Vacation, 2019-2020!

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, December 02, 2019, 06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickf1985

The engine is indestructible and will pull a house but you are not going to like that carburetor! So your four wheeling days are over? That's a lot of vehicle to pull behind an RV! Gonna be rough on the RV transmission.

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Rickf1985 on February 03, 2020, 05:23 PM
The engine is indestructible and will pull a house but you are not going to like that carburetor! So your four wheeling days are over? That's a lot of vehicle to pull behind an RV! Gonna be rough on the RV transmission.

I don't know about the carb...it idles high right now, but I'll deal with that soon.  I drove it around a LOT today and I love this truck!  Running like a champ so far, and doesn't overheat at stop lights...lol!  I filled the tanks, and so far the selector switch for front and back seems to work.

My 4 wheeling days were over when my wife's arthritis got so bad that the offroad bumps were pure torture for her...even going slow.  And at least she doesn't have to yodel to get in and out of this truck...lol!

As far as the weight goes, the title says it weighs just shy of 5K, and that is with the 99" longbed.  The Jeep weighed the same.

The only thing that sucks is that it is 2WD and automatic...which means that I will once again have to disco the driveshaft and hang it, like I had to do with many other vehicles in the past.  Unless I find a flat bed car hauler trailer on the cheap...lol!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

The truck is ours!  It has three day AZ temp plates, and is insured...so I drove it around quite a bit today, and it is awesome...although there are some issues, like the idle being way too high and the valve cover gasket leaks a LOT of oil.  Simple fixes though.

I love this truck!

Tomorrow I'll print out all the forms to send to the Florida DMV, get a police officer to verify the VIN numbers on the title...and then overnight the paperwork to Florida.  That why, by the time the AZ temp plate expires, the truck will be legally registered in Florida.  I already transferred the insurance.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Rickf1985 on February 03, 2020, 05:23 PM

So Rick...about the carburator.  Why do you say I'm not going to like the carburator on the 300CI?  It looks pretty simple compared to a 4 barrel.  Are they problematic?  What should I look out for?

Kev

Rickf1985

It is probably a Carter one barrel but might be a Variable Venturi carb. I had a F250 with that engine and it took me 6 months to get the carb right and carbs are my specialty That was 20 years ago so let me find my book and refresh my brain on what you are working with. Meanwhile try to get a name or tag number off of the carb.

Rickf1985

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Rickf1985 on February 04, 2020, 10:23 AM
Kevin, I may have spoken too soon. It appears you do not have the VV carb and you do have a simple one barrel carb. If this is the case they are cheap, no sense in playing with one with over a hundred on it.
I wouldn't necessarily buy it from there, it was just a good pic.

https://www.ebay.com/i/133269492212?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=133269492212&targetid=858219882603&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9052512&poi=&campaignid=6470552634&mkgroupid=90044703518&rlsatarget=pla-858219882603&abcId=1139336&merchantid=6296724&gclid=CjwKCAiAyeTxBRBvEiwAuM8dnVyQz2VVnhnlUlzILoDjj6buR-sKocms_lJpLtLBMqjuzJC-KPrCARoCrz8QAvD_BwE

That is what it looks like!  Just a very simple one barrel carb.  Still has the original old style air cleaner housing as well, painted blue like the engine. 

Kev

Froggy1936

I just saw an ad , For your Carburetor on E Bay for less than $60.00 ,m Seems to make it a lot easier and Cheaper than Rebuilding  !  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Rickf1985

Those ads worry me, I think they are offshore carbs. That is simply too cheap for a Carter carb. Not saying it will not work but if you buy be sure you can return if need be.

Froggy1936

I think they are just trying to move Obsolete parts ??  Frank

"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Rickf1985

Nope, far, far too many of them. Hey, for the price you try it and if it works great. If it doesn't work then you send it back. You notice they are not asking for a core so you still have your original.

ClydesdaleKevin

Our booth is all set up!  Tomorrow morning I'll finish setting up the workshop (not much left to do), and then go get some boards and knock out some catapults for the weekend.  While I'm out tomorrow morning, I'll probably swing by Walmart and have new tires put on the Ford...since the tires are 4 different brands, worn pretty much bald, and starting to dry rot.  Thankfully tires for the Ford F-100 are cheap, since I'm just going to put light truck LT tires on it, probably Goodyear Wranglers.  I might go with AT tires if they aren't much more money.

I over-nighted all the paperwork to Florida to get the truck registered yesterday, and transferred the insurance from the Jeep to the truck already.  If they don't have it registered by tomorrow, I'll go online and print out another 3 day pass from the Arizona DMV...2 dollars, and you can do it three times.  That is what is on the truck right now, but it expires tomorrow at midnight.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

SCORE!!!

I was running errands this morning, and stopped by Malone's Tire in Apache Junction.  They are HIGHLY recommended by the local forums and Facebook groups.  Someone ordered 4 new Firestone Destination A/T tires, 235/75R-15s...and never picked them up!  They sat in the back room for almost a year and the date code says they were made in 2019.  300 bucks out the door, mounted, balanced, the works!  For all four tires!  SWEET!!!  So of course I had them do it, and the Ford has new shoes!

While it was on their lift, I rocked the front tires up to down, and there is some play...so new wheel bearings and races are going to happen next week.  A simple job and cheap since I am doing it myself.

I had an electrical problem today, but it was simple.  The previous owner spliced in wires from the coil to the distributor...and just twisted the wires together with just a flap of electrical tape.  Because the engine is oily from the bad valve cover gasket, the electrical tape slipped down the wires.  When both wires contacted each other, the engine died like turning off the key.  I knew it was electrical...and it took me 5 minutes to fix it because I had all three of my tool boxes with me, including my electrical tool box.  Started right back up, and we are good to go!  (LOTS more tweaking and work to do to make it perfect...but the electrical problem is fixed).

I also paid for and put on the new temporary AZ plate, so we are good until the 11th..and hopefully Florida will have the registration done by then.  The tracking numbers show that they received everything yesterday.

The workshop is all set up, and I have all the parts cut out for tomorrow's build.

All is going well and coming together perfectly!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

All the catapults are built, the booth is all set up and loaded with marshmallows and water beads...and we are ready for opening day tomorrow at the Arizona Renaissance Festival!  SWEET!!!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Since the Arizona Renaissance Festival has started, and opening weekend is under our belt, thus endeth this chapter!

I'm starting a new thread now...Arizona, 2020.

Kev

c farmer

Awesome.  Looking for the new thread.