Winter Vacation, 2019-2020!

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, December 02, 2019, 06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Our winter adventures have officially started!

We made it out of camp yesterday around noon...and drove down to the Flying J in Rock Hill, SC, where we topped off the diesel and the propane, and settled in for the night.

Our goal today is to make it to the Flying J in Brunswick, GA, stay the evening, and then pull into my sister's driveway in Saint Marys, GA tomorrow morning and visit for a week or so.

The rig is running great!  I'll be doing a lot of maintenance when I get to my sis's, since she has a paved flat driveway. 

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

Safe touchdown at the Flying J in Brunswick, GA, only around 30 miles from my sister's driveway.  We'll be staying here the night and pull into her driveway to visit for a week or so early tomorrow.

It was around 36 degrees outside this morning when I went to start the RV...and it started right up!  VROOOOOOOOOOOM!  An underpowered and old/weak battery was the culprit!  And yes Rick...in my sister's driveway, I'll lift the mattress, remove the shielding panels, and get my eyes on the grid heater and relay...and might even buy a spare relay just in case.  I want to inspect the belts and hoses and whatnot anyway.

No problems with the Jeep at all.  Last year's rear wheel bearing failure and FIRE has made me paranoid, so the first thing I do now when we stop is feel the rear hubs and drums, and front hubs and rotors, to make sure they aren't hot.

Short trip tomorrow...and then family time, relaxation, maintenance, and not necessarily in that order.  LOL!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

tmsnyder

Christmas is coming, maybe you could ask Santa for an infrared thermometer.  You could walk around and check tire and hub temperatures without bending over and getting your hands dirty!

ClydesdaleKevin

We arrived safely at my sister's house, and are all hooked up in her driveway.  Inspections and maintenance will be done pretty much every day, a little every day, for the next week or so before we head out to Arizona.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Our Magnetek 6300 series 45 amp converter started making some REALLY odd noises today, way louder than usual.  It has always charged at 13.7-13.9 volts, so, being spoiled by former Boondocker converters, this bothered me....and it is NOT a good maintenance voltage for batteries. 

So I contacted Randy over at www.bestconverter.com to see about getting the Boondocker power center (direct replacement) and am waiting for his reply.  I'll call him in the morning anyway, but just want to make sure this will fit and if a EU2300i 2300 watt Honda inverter generator will produce enough watts to run this thing when we are boondocking and don't have enough solar power.  I read the manual that you can download from Best Converter, but it doesn't mention input power requirements.  The unit I am looking at is the 75 amp version, part number BD 1275PC.  [size=78%]http://www.bestconverter.com/Boondocker-4-Stage-Power-Center-75-Amp-BD-1275PC_p_763.html[/size]

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

I talked to Randy today, and he advised that I should get the 60 amp Boondocker power center, so that is what I did!  It should be here in a few days.

http://www.bestconverter.com/Boondocker-4-Stage-Power-Center-60-Amp-BD-1260PC_p_552.html

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

I got a few things done today, like replacing the screws that hold the ducted AC intake covers replaced.  And scored a nice floor jack to replace yet another rear wheel bearing on the Jeep (driver's side this time) for REALLY cheap.  Also replaced the sewer valve cover with one with a garden hose connection for draining off grey water.

I also rechecked the propane connections at our furnace since they were leaking (and was repaired by me) in Carolina...and no leaks!  I also delved through my old posts and found this YouTube video to troubleshoot and repair our Suburban SF-42 furnace once again.  I'll let y'all know what I found out tomorrow morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLDUrkL19Fw&feature=youtu.be

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

So the GOOD news is that my rear wheel bearings are fine, and don't need to be replaced.  The BAD news is that there was fluid under the Jeep this morning (and the power steering was making noise when I came home from running errands yesterday).  I popped the hood, and the power steering pump is TOAST!  Not all that expensive though, so I picked one up at O'Reilly's and started to remove the old one...and the high pressure line is seized.  So back to O'Reilly's for the hose...and I might have to go back again tomorrow to borrow a pulley puller if my cheapo Harbor Freight one doesn't work.  It is getting late, so replacing the power steering pump is tomorrow's project.

I also troubleshot my Suburban SF-42 furnace...and it is definitely a bad control board!  No doubt about it!  So I searched for the Suburban replacement board, and MAN are they proud of their parts!  So I saved 40 bucks and got a Dinosaur UIB-L as a direct replacement, with free fast shipping on Amazon.  And it will be here on Monday.  Sweet!

The new Powermax Boondocker power center I ordered from Randy over at Best Converters will also be here on Monday, so I know what I'll be doing on Monday...lol!

My battery terminal extensions arrived at a UPS hub a few towns away, in Brunswick,GA...and hasn't moved in over two days, according to the tracking numbers.  I don't know what is up with that!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

I managed to get the old pulley off the old power steering pump undamaged and reinstalled on the new power steering pump.  I also got the new power steering pump in place and all the bolts are tightened down, with the serpentine belt in place and adjusted.  But the return/low line ALSO seized up on me, and the metal part of the return assembly broke off.  And none of the 4 auto parts stores near my sister Kerry's house had one in stock.  So the Jeep is still down.

Fortunately, my niece is willing to drive me to O'Reilly's tomorrow morning at 10am, and since I already ordered the part from them and paid for it, it will be waiting for me in the morning.  So close...yet so far!!!

Kev

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteMy battery terminal extensions arrived at a UPS hub a few towns away, in Brunswick,GA...and hasn't moved in over two days, according to the tracking numbers.  I don't know what is up with that!

Must be waiting on the weekly stage coach run  :)rotflmao
[move][/move]

Rickf1985

Don't feel bad, I have Amazon Prime which "Used" to be free two day shipping. Then it was two day shipping "from when it leaves the seller or warehouse", Like you are supposed to know when that is. Now most of the time it is just whenever it gets here, "But you get free music and movies" which I don't use. But the worst part is that most of the stuff comes out of their warehouses right? Well, I have three of their main northeast warehouses within ten miles of my house and that is where most of the stuff comes to me from but it still takes 2-5 days to get it to me! I could drive their in 20 minutes!!!!!

ClydesdaleKevin

So it looks like UPS lost the package, so Grainger is sending me out a replacement set that should be here in three days.

And getting that low pressure return hose in place was a beotch!!!  It took me three hours, because a previous owner crossthreaded the old one, and it was try and try and try again until it FINALLY caught the threads on the steering box.  Whew!!!

Then I bled the new power steering pump, took it for a test drive, and it is fixed!  SWEET!!!

The Boondocker power center also arrived today, and the Dinosaur board for the furnace is also supposed to get here today from Amazon.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Since it is supposed to be 80 degrees and humid today, and since my wife Patti doesn't have to play Mrs. Clause today (something she does every year for my sister's church and Christian school), we decided that today would be the perfect day to drive down to the Florida DMV and renew our plates.  Then it is supposed to rain for 2-3 days, which is a perfect time to install the new power center, since it is an indoor job.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Yay!  We got the registrations for the Jeep and the Itasca renewed, and then I dropped Patti off at the laundry mat and took the filthy Jeep to the local car wash!  It was covered in mud and dirt from the Carolina Renaissance Festival...and the front axle and steering components were covered in power steering fluid.  All clean now!

I went back and picked up Patti after helping her fold the clothes, and then came back to my sister's place and Patti put all the clothes away and made the bed with fresh linens.

Tomorrow is the big electrical day where I install the new Boondocker power center!  It SHOULD go smoothly...lol!  And it appears that it won't be a moment too soon!  That dang old Magnetek is constant charging at 14-14.1 volts today, and it is NOT a progressive charger! 

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

The Powermax Boondocker power center/converter is installed!

WOW was that a lot of wires, and a breaker broke, so I ended up replacing them all.

It took all day, but it is done!

Tomorrow I'll tackle the new control board for the furnace.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

I woke up this morning to find the digital volt meter I installed to monitor my batteries reading a perfect 13.2 volts!

Also, kudos to Randy at Best Converters!  I had a question and they weren't in the office.  And he still called me back within 20 minutes.  They are a pleasure to do business with!

It rained most of the day, so I didn't get a chance to put in the new furnace control board...since that is an outside job.  It looks like it might rain tomorrow as well, so I'll get it done ASAP.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

It rained all day again, but is supposed to be nice tomorrow and Sunday.  So I read through the service manual that came with our motorhome, and we definitely have the Cummings 6BT engine.  So off I went to Walmart and got the oil I'll need for the oil change, and then down to Napa and got a Wix filter for it.

It takes 17.2 quarts of oil with a filter change...but I was pleasantly surprised that the oil wasn't nearly as expensive as I thought it would be!  They have Rotella 15W-40 in 2.5 gallon bottles at Walmart for 33.00 each...so I bought 2 of the them, which gives me 20 quarts for 66.00.  The price of the oil filter surprised me though...almost 20 bucks for an oil filter...lol!

So that is what I'll be doing this weekend!  The oil change, installing the new Dinosaur control board in the furnace, and then running the new break-away wire in the Jeep and making sure that my 12 volt plug is working for the Brake Buddy.  We are planning on hitting the road on Monday morning...and then a short trip to my mother's house in Fitzgerald, GA for a few days, before heading back home to Arizona!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Well crap.  I installed the new control board in our Suburban SF-42 furnace today, and it still doesn't work.  I'm going to guess it is a bad time delay relay, since I'm getting 12 volts to the relay when I turn the thermostat on, but it isn't delivering power from the relay to the control board.

I did successfully install the new break away cable in the Jeep...although I had to rewire it where it goes into the switch...it had a hard short, brand new from the factory, in the wire connectors.  Don't they check these things at the factory?  Geesh!

And that is it for today.  Tomorrow I change the oil and filter in the RV, grease all the fittings and front wheel bearings, check the diff fluid, hard check the tire pressures on the RV and the Jeep, clean my solar panels, and then sweep up the kitty litter I laid down in my sister's driveway to soak up the power steering fluid.

Monday morning I'm going down to the local VA to register for Veteran's Choice...and then Tuesday morning we are heading to my mother's house.  I'm going to order the time delay relay for the furnace and have it sent to my mother's house, since we'll be there until Christmas.

I also picked up Patti's Christmas present today, and put it under the tree.  She's gonna love it!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Woohooo!!!  All the maintenance is done!!!

I changed the oil today with 17.2 quarts of Rotella 15W-40 diesel oil, the oil filter with a Wix filter, and checked all the other fluids (nothing else had to be topped off).  I also greased every fitting, repacked the front wheel bearings with Lucas wheel bearing grease, and set the RV tire pressures to 100psi, and the Jeep to 35psi.

While I was under the RV I also zip tied a few wires up and out of the way that were hanging down. 

Also while I was under the RV, I noticed ANOTHER and much SMALLER fuel filter on the side of the engine!  Off to NAPA, and it now has a fresh Wix filter in its place (they sure are proud of their filters!  16 bucks for a relatively small filter!).  I filled it with diesel and installed it and then started the rig...no leaks!

Then I cleaned my batteries and installed the post extensions because of the number of wires I have attached to them, between the inverter and the Morningstar solar charge controller.

Finally, I cleaned up the kitty litter I laid down to soak up the Jeep's power steering fluid, cleaned and put away all my tools...and took a shower. 

What a busy day!

Tomorrow I'm going to do one last voltage test on the furnace, go down to the local VA and see about some things, load up the Jeep and get the tow lights and whatnot ready to travel, and be ready to hit the road first thing Tuesday morning to head out to my mother's house for a visit.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

I'm also going to take a lot of pictures tomorrow so I can post them...mostly of the battery compartment, and the engine, engine compartment, and the transmission, etc.

Kev

Rickf1985

I am guessing you never found the grid heaters?

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Rickf1985 on December 15, 2019, 08:18 PM
I am guessing you never found the grid heaters?

Never had time to lift the mattress and remove all the panels.  But there is LOTS of room to take pictures, which I will post, so you can show me what is what on the engine.

I was really surprised by yet another fuel filter that I didn't even know was there...lol!

I'll take the pictures tomorrow, resize them, and post them over the next couple of days.  One thing that I did confirm is that this is definately a Cummings 6BT. 

Rickf1985

The 17 quarts of oil is interesting, mine in my pickup is only 12 but they used that engine in SO many different applications I am sure there are probably a hundred different oil ans for the engine. The data plate for the engine is the one you really need to look at, it should be on the crankshaft pulley end of the engine, on the side of the block close to the front on a flat pad. When I say "front" of the engine I am referring to the crankshaft pulley since I don't know if yours is facing front or rear.

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Rickf1985 on December 16, 2019, 09:37 AM
The 17 quarts of oil is interesting, mine in my pickup is only 12 but they used that engine in SO many different applications I am sure there are probably a hundred different oil ans for the engine. The data plate for the engine is the one you really need to look at, it should be on the crankshaft pulley end of the engine, on the side of the block close to the front on a flat pad. When I say "front" of the engine I am referring to the crankshaft pulley since I don't know if yours is facing front or rear.

Yep.  They mentioned the different oil pans in the book that came with this RV...and the 17.2 was circled for this one.  I confirmed it on the dipstick and it is right at the top of the full mark.

I was a little surprised to find the second and much smaller fuel filter mounted on the engine...but it is replaced now with a brand new Wix. 

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Everything is done!  The Jeep is loaded with all our stuff and the trailer lights are attached, I'm officially registered at the VA, I took the used oil down to a recycling center, and I troubleshot the furnace again (determining that it is indeed a bad time delay relay).  I ordered a new one and had it shipped to my mom's house.

Tomorrow morning we drive around 160 miles to visit my mother in Fitzgerald, GA for Christmas...the doggos are going to love her fenced in HUGE yard!

Kev