!-! NEW MEMBERS: Take a moment to read the forum rules. They're brief, but very important in helping you get more answers to your questions, faster!
This helps everyone get more from our forum.

Author Topic: Winter Vacation, 2019-2020!  (Read 91 times)

Offline ClydesdaleKevin

• 11 year member
  • I own: a Motor Home
  • Year: 1995
  • Make: Itasca
  • Model: Suncruiser 32RQ
  • Chassis: Oshkosh
  • Engine: Cummings Turbo Diesel
Winter Vacation, 2019-2020!
« on: December 02, 2019, 06:00 AM »
Our winter adventures have officially started!

We made it out of camp yesterday around noon...and drove down to the Flying J in Rock Hill, SC, where we topped off the diesel and the propane, and settled in for the night.

Our goal today is to make it to the Flying J in Brunswick, GA, stay the evening, and then pull into my sister's driveway in Saint Marys, GA tomorrow morning and visit for a week or so.

The rig is running great!  I'll be doing a lot of maintenance when I get to my sis's, since she has a paved flat driveway. 

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 98 Cherokee lifted beastie tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Offline ClydesdaleKevin

• 11 year member
Re: Winter Vacation, 2019-2020!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 04:28 PM »
Safe touchdown at the Flying J in Brunswick, GA, only around 30 miles from my sister's driveway.  We'll be staying here the night and pull into her driveway to visit for a week or so early tomorrow.

It was around 36 degrees outside this morning when I went to start the RV...and it started right up!  VROOOOOOOOOOOM!  An underpowered and old/weak battery was the culprit!  And yes Rick...in my sister's driveway, I'll lift the mattress, remove the shielding panels, and get my eyes on the grid heater and relay...and might even buy a spare relay just in case.  I want to inspect the belts and hoses and whatnot anyway.

No problems with the Jeep at all.  Last year's rear wheel bearing failure and FIRE has made me paranoid, so the first thing I do now when we stop is feel the rear hubs and drums, and front hubs and rotors, to make sure they aren't hot.

Short trip tomorrow...and then family time, relaxation, maintenance, and not necessarily in that order.  LOL!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 98 Cherokee lifted beastie tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Offline tmsnyder

• Year: 1976
  • Make: GMC Motorhome
  • Model: Eleganza II
  • Chassis: GMC
  • Engine: 455
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 09:00 AM »
Christmas is coming, maybe you could ask Santa for an infrared thermometer.  You could walk around and check tire and hub temperatures without bending over and getting your hands dirty!

Offline ClydesdaleKevin

• 11 year member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 03:10 PM »
We arrived safely at my sister's house, and are all hooked up in her driveway.  Inspections and maintenance will be done pretty much every day, a little every day, for the next week or so before we head out to Arizona.

Kev

Offline ClydesdaleKevin

• 11 year member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 09:19 PM »
Our Magnetek 6300 series 45 amp converter started making some REALLY odd noises today, way louder than usual.  It has always charged at 13.7-13.9 volts, so, being spoiled by former Boondocker converters, this bothered me....and it is NOT a good maintenance voltage for batteries. 

So I contacted Randy over at www.bestconverter.com to see about getting the Boondocker power center (direct replacement) and am waiting for his reply.  I'll call him in the morning anyway, but just want to make sure this will fit and if a EU2300i 2300 watt Honda inverter generator will produce enough watts to run this thing when we are boondocking and don't have enough solar power.  I read the manual that you can download from Best Converter, but it doesn't mention input power requirements.  The unit I am looking at is the 75 amp version, part number BD 1275PC.  [size=78%]http://www.bestconverter.com/Boondocker-4-Stage-Power-Center-75-Amp-BD-1275PC_p_763.html[/size]

Kev

Offline ClydesdaleKevin

• 11 year member
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 04:02 PM »
I talked to Randy today, and he advised that I should get the 60 amp Boondocker power center, so that is what I did!  It should be here in a few days.

http://www.bestconverter.com/Boondocker-4-Stage-Power-Center-60-Amp-BD-1260PC_p_552.html

Kev

FULL Membership!

Want to start enjoyingall the benefitsFull Membership has to offer?

Become a Full

Want to enjoy your

Full Membership

without ever having

to renew?

Become a:

* Salvage Yards

Find
RV Salvage Yards

By STATE

Campround Map

Instantly get info on thousands of campgrounds all