Winter Vacation, 2019-2020!

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, December 02, 2019, 06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickf1985

I am curious to see the engine pics, I may have been giving you some false info on that heater! I need to do some more research. It is beginning to look like only some of the 12 valve engines had the heater but I can't believe that an RV that would be used by the general public would not have it. If not then you might be able to find a setup at a scrap yard and retrofit it and use a push button instead of the computer controlled timer relay. That is what I did on my military Chevy, works perfect.

Rickf1985

ClydesdaleKevin

We got out of my sister's driveway no problem this morning (after the local trash pickup), and the rig is starting RIGHT up, just like when we first bought it! 

We got about 50 miles from my mother's house, and got caught in a BAD thunderstorm with a LOT of rain!  I mean BAD!!!  A real gully-washer with really high winds!!! 

So we pulled into a truck stop for the night, and will arrive at my mother's house tomorrow morning.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Rickf1985 on December 16, 2019, 08:53 PM
Here you go, this will give you a little info to go on.

http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/troubleshooting/Maniford_htr.htm

Interesting!  I read through the whole link you sent, and I'm not entirely sure if my engine has a grid heater now...because I don't have a "Wait To Start" light on my dash.

I'll know better when I take pictures this week.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Rickf1985

I am not sure myself now since it seems that some had it and some did not. I do know you can retrofit newer ones to it. You are basically looking for a couple of 4 gauge wires going to the intake manifold somewhere near the air inlet since they are going to be wanting to heat the air to all cylinders.

ClydesdaleKevin

So the food at this particular back highway truck stop, a OneTrip, is amazing!  Dinner and breakfast was great, and the food is WAY better than a Flying J...lol!

We are about to get back on the road to my mother's house. 

Brrrrrrrrrrrrr!  The storm brought in a cold front and it is 36 degrees out right now!  Lets see how this beastie starts in this kind of weather.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Having a great visit at my mother's house for Christmas!  We pulled right into her fenced in back yard, closed the gate...and the pups are loving it!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

So I looked under the Jeep today, and noticed that the two bolts on the driver's side AND the spacers that hold up the transfer case crossmember are missing!  The transfer case had dropped, and the driver's side of the crossmember was just there, hanging in the breeze!!!

It must have JUST happened when I went to the market yesterday, so no damage.  My dad (really my stepdad, but I call him dad because I love the guy) took me down to the hardware store, and I got everything to make the repair.  Turns out the bolts on the passenger side were also loose!  Ye gads!  It looks like Christian Brothers Automotive forgot to tighten them when I paid them 1200 freakin' dollars to replace my cracked flex plate.  Shoddy workmanship!  This is why I hate paying money to mechanics when I know darn well that I would do a MUCH better and more thorough job, AND save a bunch of cash.  Dang idiots.

At least I noticed it and repaired it in time before there was any major damage!

As far as my furnace goes, it turns out the actual problem is a bad solder joint inside the motor.  A new motor is around 120.00 shipped...so I'm going to take it out in the morning, take it apart, try to repair the connection, and hopefully save us some money. 

Kev

Shawn62

My father always checked the tightness of lug nuts on our vehicles before he drove away from the tire shop.  He started doing this after a right front wheel came off a vehicle my mother was driving after getting new tires. He would also take off the hub caps and put them on himself at home so they did not get damaged or lost.  I started doing the same thing when I started driving. I have experienced very loose lug nuts ( barely on hand tight) from tire shops and garages numerous times over the last 40 years.  I always advised the shop manager when this happens.  Lately it is a young technician with cellphone distraction.  I am glad you caught the problem with your Jeep quickly.

ClydesdaleKevin

I can't reinstall the furnace today because it is going to rain all day again...but I did hang one of these Delongi SafeHeat micathermic contraptions on the wall between the dinette and the bathroom.  Extremely light weight, draws less amps than a ceramic heater, and even on the lowest setting keeps the entire RV nice and warm!  I'll reinstall the furnace tomorrow though.

Kev

Rickf1985

1500 watts!!!  That's 13 amps on 110 volts and roughly 140 amps out of the batteries if going through an inverter!!!!!!!

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Rickf1985 on December 23, 2019, 12:18 PM
1500 watts!!!  That's 13 amps on 110 volts and roughly 140 amps out of the batteries if going through an inverter!!!!!!!

It puts out the equivalent of a 1500 watt space heater as far as heat goes, and that is on high.  Supposedly, they DRAW a lot less because the heating element is a mica thermo panel.  A thin heater element is encased in mica, causing the mica to heat up and essentially vibrate at a supersonic rate atomically (with no moving parts) to produce a field off infrared radiation, while drawing very little amps. 

That is what my research has told my anyway.  That said, I just bought one of THESE beauties off of Amazon, and will be able to tell you EXACTLY home many amps and watts it is drawing when it arrives tomorrow. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0777H8MS8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

We had a break in the weather today, so I reinstalled the furnace, got it all hooked up, and it fired up!!!

And then the flame went out.  I figured it was probably just air in the propane line, so I tried it no fewer than 10 more times.  NADA!!!

Well crap.  Everything that is supposed to happen at the board is happening...green light, red when trying it ignite (and you can hear the click of the sparks), green light...the board tries three times, then eventually the time delay relay shuts it down.

So now I am getting pretty ticked off!  what in the world???

I'm thinking it must be either a bad gas valve and/or igniter element...and start searching Amazon and eBay for them, and the replacement costs.  They ain't cheap, and if I had to buy those too, the money I have spent so far would have pretty much covered buying a brand new furnace!

Then my dad (step dad, but I call him dad) said "hey, why don't you wait a while and try it again...could just be air in the lines."  I politely smiled and nodded, thinking to myself that I already tried 10+ times and that should have purged any air out of the lines, right?...but I didn't say anything since he's 83 and I love the guy.

I bid everyone good night, and came back into the RV, turned on the furnace, and BINGO!!!  Fired right up and stayed lit!

I'm pretty sure it is working now!  I'll try it again in the morning, but as of right now, IT LIVES!!!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Post went wonky on size, so I deleted this duplicate.

Kev

LJ-TJ

One thing I've found out in life! Never doubt Dads. They been there, done that and are probable wearing the tee Shirt. Did you say THANKS  :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao

Rickf1985

They draw 1500 or 750 watts, You will probably only need the low setting at 750 but power draw is power draw. I think you are confusing BTU's with watts. As far as the no moving parts thing and radiant heat................... they have been doing that for 100 years with electric heaters with wire ribbons and coils. The mica bit is marketing. There are mica crystals that will heat up when subjected to certain radio wavelengths but that certainly is not what you have, that setup is VERY power dependent. The other type of mica is a type of sand called sheet silicates. I don't believe I still remember this from college, that was 40 plus years ago! You are in the marketing business yourself so you know how this works. There are only so many ways you can describe a simple electric heater. W% :D

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Rickf1985 on December 23, 2019, 08:04 PM
They draw 1500 or 750 watts, You will probably only need the low setting at 750 but power draw is power draw. I think you are confusing BTU's with watts. As far as the no moving parts thing and radiant heat................... they have been doing that for 100 years with electric heaters with wire ribbons and coils. The mica bit is marketing. There are mica crystals that will heat up when subjected to certain radio wavelengths but that certainly is not what you have, that setup is VERY power dependent. The other type of mica is a type of sand called sheet silicates. I don't believe I still remember this from college, that was 40 plus years ago! You are in the marketing business yourself so you know how this works. There are only so many ways you can describe a simple electric heater. W% :D

Whatever the case, I'll let you know what it is ACTUALLY drawing when my meter comes in tomorrow.  And it is only intended to be used on shore power in our specific situation.  When boondocking, it will be the furnace to take the chill out of the air, and a Mr. Heater Buddy Heater keeping it warm (with a hose, filter, and standard BBQ exchange size tank).

Kev

tmsnyder

Yes, watts are watts, unless it's some kind of a heat pump.  I think those are about 4:1 energy moved from outside to inside vs energy used.  Pretty sure it's not a heat pump though.

ClydesdaleKevin

My little widget came in today, so I tested the watts and the amp draw of the new electric heater vs the old ceramic heater. 

On low (624 watts) it draws 5.2 amps.

On high (1332 watts) it draws 11.1 amps. 

The old ceramic heater with a fan draws 10.8 amps.

The heater advertises 750 watts on low and 1500 watts on high, so not completely honest in their advertising...but it heats up the rig!

We've been using it on low since I installed it...but it isn't something I'd want to use off of the batteries for very long, even on low.  Perfect for when we are on shore power though.

Kev

Shawn62

I have a similar widget. It is called a Kill-A-Watt. Very handy tool. I used it to check the frequency of the output of my generators. It is also handy to see how much an item draws when it is turned off.

ClydesdaleKevin

We started our annual Winter Vacation cleaning today.  This is going to take a while!

Today I got the stove top cleaned, topside and underneath, and the oven and hood and microwave.  I also deep cleaned the sink and counter top, and started deep cleaning the fridge. 

Also taken care of today was the trash and kitty box...but that gets done all the time.  Patti is doing the laundry and bedding as well.

Starting tomorrow, we'll be cleaning every nook and cranny inside, starting in the cockpit and working our way all the way to the back.  We are going to be using a mold/mildew killer while we are at it, since some is already starting to grow on the driver's door kick panel and in some of the window tracks.  No Bueno!!! 

The pups are also getting brushed out and bathed this week...and then brushed again outside once they are dry.  And then we are going to shampoo the carpets and upholstery.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Sorry for the radio silence, but we've been working on something, and now that it is all approved and in place, I can tell you the incredibly good news!

We bought a piece of property in Fitzgerald, GA!  My mom and step dad live here now, and my sister and brother in law do as well (or will when they fully retire in 2 more years). 

The property is 2 acres in the middle of nowhere rural Fitzgerald, Georgia.  It has a relatively new 2 roll up door 30x30 metal building on a concrete slab, and an RV slab with full hookups!  It has two septic tanks, water, and electric...and we got it at a VERY low price, and financing from the local community bank with a GREAT interest rate...so we'll have very low payments.  Taxes on the property are only 280.00 a year!  The loan is for 15 years, but we will easily be able to get it totally paid off in 5 years.

We intend to use this as a home base between our shows...and eventually as a retirement property.

We are blessed!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

That RV and all the junk has already been removed, and the big pile of brush has already been burned in the huge fire pit.  This is going to be a great property to own and retire on!  And we have a workshop/garage now!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

And just a couple more pictures. 

Kev

Elandan2

Wow that's cool!! Wish we could do the same thing in Canada. Seems like the municipalities hate that sort of thing. Maybe not enough tax dollars!
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck