Battery Terminal Extenders?

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, November 29, 2019, 06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

I guess I'm just not sure what they are called, but I've seen them before and know they exist.

On the top of our Trojan batteries are threaded posts.  Because of our solar panel system and inverter, with all the wires connected, a couple of the posts are too short, and the nut only snugs down to where you can still see around half the threads inside the nut.

I could have sworn someone made battery post extenders specifically for this style of golf cart battery that made the threaded stud longer, and I even remember seeing a block you could bolt to that terminal that Y'd off and gave you two threaded posts sticking up.

Anyone know what these are called, and where the heck I can find them?

Thanks!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Rickf1985

Something like this? If it is made Mcmaster-Carr will have it.
https://www.mcmaster.com/threaded-rods

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Rickf1985 on November 29, 2019, 08:29 PM
Something like this? If it is made Mcmaster-Carr will have it.
https://www.mcmaster.com/threaded-rods

Something very similar to that, Rick...but these were specifically made and marketed for golf cart type batteries.  It looks like could make my own from  these doohickies from McMaster, but was trying to figure out the name of the ones you can just order, already set up to install on the battery terminals.  Plug and play.

If I can't figure it out, I'll go the McMasters route.  Thanks Rick!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Rickf1985

Check out golf cart supply and repair sites. That is a bit out of my area of expertise although myself and an electrician buddy at work modified a couple of carts to go REAL fast. :D

Shawn62

Kev,

I know what u are talking about.  Look at www.grote.com.  They have many battery terminal parts.  I think you are looking for a type of battery accessory
nut or stud.

Shawn

tmsnyder

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Shawn62 on November 30, 2019, 04:18 PM
Kev,

I know what u are talking about.  Look at www.grote.com.  They have many battery terminal parts.  I think you are looking for a type of battery accessory
nut or stud.

Shawn

Not exactly what I'm looking for, but something like this would work from Grote.  Wrench this down over a couple of wire lugs...and then attach the other wires to the top nut.  https://www.grote.com/products/84-9185-fastener-hardware-adapter-nuts-extensions-top-terminal-accessory-post/

Thanks!  Although there doesn't appear to be a way to order directly from their website.  Which really sucks, since I was about to order the 5 pack of them they offer and have them sent to my sister's house (where we are heading to next)...but they don't appear to have a way to buy them directly.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: tmsnyder on November 30, 2019, 04:51 PM
If you have that many connectors onto a battery, would  you consider terminating them at a block and running one big fat wire to the battery?  Apparently they call them 'bus bars'  https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-2315-Terminal/dp/B000OTJ8A0/ref=sxin_2_ac_d_rm?ac_md=3-2-YnVzIGJhcg%3D%3D-ac_d_rm&keywords=terminal+block&pd_rd_i=B000OTJ8A0&pd_rd_r=129877a3-561e-43a1-a252-f683d5dcebcc&pd_rd_w=T9bIN&pd_rd_wg=yBGRd&pf_rd_p=e2f20af2-9651-42af-9a45-89425d5bae34&pf_rd_r=FYS7R5RDRP88P541N6NZ&psc=1&qid=1575150732

I thought about that and went and looked at West Marine's website this morning.  It is certainly an option!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Shawn62 on November 30, 2019, 04:18 PM
Kev,

nut or stud.

Shawn

I used the part number 84-9185 and found it on eBay!  A five pack is being sent to my sister's house in St Mary's GA so I can install them there.  Thank you so much man!  This will work perfectly without having to jerry rig anything or run even more wires to terminal blocks.

Kev

Shawn62

You are welcome.  Glad to assist.  I started using them in an application where the battery cables were very short and routed over the filler caps.  I couldnââ,¬â,,¢t check the electrolyte level without disconnecting the battery cables.  The extenders allowed me to raise the cables enough to remove the filler caps.  These were 12 volt batteries.  One cap covered 3 cells. I use electrical connection lock washers with them.

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Shawn62 on November 30, 2019, 06:35 PM
     You are welcome.  Glad to assist.  I started using them in an application where the battery cables were very short and routed over the filler caps.  I couldnââ,¬â,,¢t check the electrolyte level without disconnecting the battery cables.  The extenders allowed me to raise the cables enough to remove the filler caps.  These were 12 volt batteries.  One cap covered 3 cells. I use electrical connection lock washers with them.

Thank you again sir!  Just what I was looking for!

Kev